Convert to hex?

Reaction score
Would it be possible to take the guts from the Phantom, add 2 more motors and ESC's and create a hex copter? Would this provide a more stable platform for video?
Has anyone tried this?

Yes it is possible, and the stability should be quite relative if the motors and props are balanced. I would keep the phantom and buy a kit with naza v2 and gps. You can get most of the gear for under a $1000-
as long as you have an aftermarket transmitter (futaba, dx8). The portability of the phantom kills the hex but you will have more options with the hex. Just have both :D

The Phantom is lacking a few things I need. First of all, it is not waterproof. I will often be shooting over water. I have rigged up a float system that might save it from sinking but the electronics would likely be damaged if it lands in the river.
The second issue is weight/flight time. With the camera in its waterproof housing, FPV transmitter, OSD components, locator, floats and possibly a gimbal, the weight is pushing the limits of what the Phantom can lift and shortening the flight time. Adding a second battery would increase the weight, require more floatation and make it fly like a pig. I am also considering shooting stereoscopic video which requires lifting two Gopro cameras and housings.
For these reasons, I am considering building a waterproof hex with carbon fiber shell and heatsinks for the electronics. It would require a breathable window for the altimeter.
It would save a lot of money if I can reuse parts from the Phantom.

Yeah, the options are plentiful with the hex. Let me know how you go, I do a lot of flying over water for shooting wakeboarding so ni will be getting a kit shortly. I built my friend a hex a couple of weeks ago and it was very easy to put together. I like the pure fact that if a motor goes during flight that it will not crash. I have two setups for the phantom. I have a perpendicular dual battery fpv setup which gets me about 14 mins at 1480g and a zenmuse single battery cinematic fpv setup. If I ran the dual battery setup on the sides with a mounting plate im sure that would affect performance a lot more due to the batteries being under the props. Good luck with the build.

Do not try to convert the Phantom to a hexacopter. It will be far more effective to buy a DJI F550 ARF kit and a transmitter. You could then sell your old Phantom to make up the cost.

If you did want to convert your Phantom to something then buy an F450 frame and go that route. It would be easier to convert a properly fitted F450 into a hexacopter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub