Convert P2V to GoPro?

Reaction score
I've got a P2V with a "no FPV" FC200 camera. The camera is able to record and take photos, but the FPV is not working. Likely that the previous owner did the allegedly terminal update that ruins FPV capability.

Reading over the forums in hopes of getting a functioning FPV bird, I was wondering what would be needed to get a GoPro working in place of the FC200 camera. Aside from a gimbal and the GoPro itself, what hardware (cables, transmitters, etc) would I need to get running? Ideally, I would like to keep the range extender I have, as well as the vision app, or a comparable app.

Sorry if this is a newbie question. Thanks for the help and advice!

I've got a P2V with a "no FPV" FC200 camera. The camera is able to record and take photos, but the FPV is not working. Likely that the previous owner did the allegedly terminal update that ruins FPV capability.

Reading over the forums in hopes of getting a functioning FPV bird, I was wondering what would be needed to get a GoPro working in place of the FC200 camera. Aside from a gimbal and the GoPro itself, what hardware (cables, transmitters, etc) would I need to get running? Ideally, I would like to keep the range extender I have, as well as the vision app, or a comparable app.

Sorry if this is a newbie question. Thanks for the help and advice!

Here is the info you're looking for just scroll down to post #252.
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - Page 17 - RC Groups

@jason He has the P2V mate,

You can certainly change the camera out for the Gopro, which would mean changing the stock white gimbal out for one of the many cheap chinese CNC gimbals available on Ebay for about £40-£60 but the problem is that most of the external FPV gear that you would need in order to view a live feed and for telelmetry runs on 5.8 ghz which is the same as the controller of the P2V, you would need to source 2,4ghz FPV gear which is rare, or else the 2 wifi will conflict, the other answer is to change the reciever board inside the quad to a 2.4ghz version and buy the transmitter to suit.

Not an easy or cheap fix im afraid, however if you just want to launch and record then yes you could do it, just make sure you dont turn on the WIFI on the gopro.

I changed my P2V camera for a SJcamSJ4000 camera, it had no FPV but it worked fine.

@jason He has the P2V mate,

You can certainly change the camera out for the Gopro, which would mean changing the stock white gimbal out for one of the many cheap chinese CNC gimbals available on Ebay for about £40-£60 but the problem is that most of the external FPV gear that you would need in order to view a live feed and for telelmetry runs on 5.8 ghz which is the same as the controller of the P2V, you would need to source 2,4ghz FPV gear which is rare, or else the 2 wifi will conflict, the other answer is to change the reciever board inside the quad to a 2.4ghz version and buy the transmitter to suit.

Not an easy or cheap fix im afraid, however if you just want to launch and record then yes you could do it, just make sure you dont turn on the WIFI on the gopro.

I changed my P2V camera for a SJcamSJ4000 camera, it had no FPV but it worked fine.

You have to assume it's a P2 vision + since many never fully disclose which model they have. Now as far as gimbals an GoPro cameras go I prefer the H4-3D just don't to cut corners with that cheap Chinese aftermarket crap. To make that modification you would need two things an 8 pin cable and anti-interference board everything else is there.

Well after looking at the camera (FC200) and you are correct it is the first version P2 vision so in that case he would also need the wifi module and and cables to make the modification.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I actually found a fix for my fc200 camera, so it's working properly now.

In the meantime, I did also pick up a standard P2, and will be adding the zenmuse 3D, gopro, cables, IOSD and tx/rx for fpv. I'll try them both and end up keeping the setup that I like better.

The GoPro/zenmuse seems more advanced, but I'm not sure if I like the look of having the FPV antenna hanging off the back of the bird. I hear the range is a lot better with that than the FC200 though.

Thanks for the replies. I actually found a fix for my fc200 camera, so it's working properly now.

In the meantime, I did also pick up a standard P2, and will be adding the zenmuse 3D, gopro, cables, IOSD and tx/rx for fpv. I'll try them both and end up keeping the setup that I like better.

The GoPro/zenmuse seems more advanced, but I'm not sure if I like the look of having the FPV antenna hanging off the back of the bird. I hear the range is a lot better with that than the FC200 though.

IMG_3940.jpg
IMG_5632.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, Jason. What are you using for the FPV display? I have a spare android tablet, but I haven't found a good mini USB receiver or 5.8g to wifi adapter that would let me use it as the display.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the pictures, Jason. What are you using for the FPV display? I have a spare android tablet, but I haven't found a good mini USB receiver or 5.8g to wifi adapter that would let me use it as the display.

All of the equipment I use is listed in red at the bottom of this post. Tablets will not work an you'll need a 5.8GHz diversity monitor/receive to view what the camera sees.

You can mount the fpv gear inside the quad to make it look neater

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here is a photo on how iOSD and anti-interference module in side the shell. I do not suggest mounting the video transmitter in side the shell do the heat generated by what ever TX you decide on. All the video gear for FPV is 5.8GHz while the P2 non-vision operates on a frequency of 2.4GHz.

The GoPro's camera wifi cannot be used while the P2 is in flight but you use the GoPro app to setup using the cameras wifi prior to a flight.

IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_3940.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20