P3 Firmware Controller will not update or generate a log file at no matter what I do

Reaction score
I just had to get a new P3 - I had some problems with the first that I received and the company sent me a replacement with a return label to send the other back. I'm currently sitting here with both.

I tried updating the controller (would it have shipped with the most recent?) - no matter what I do - I tried a flash drive, an sd creader as well as hooking it to the gimbal. Flash drive and SD reader just show a red light instantly. Connecting to gimbal - camera points down and beeps every few seconds and there is a green light on controller.

No log file gets created (if I do it on my other controller it will at least say same firmware etc). Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I just had to get a new P3 - I had some problems with the first that I received and the company sent me a replacement with a return label to send the other back. I'm currently sitting here with both.

I tried updating the controller (would it have shipped with the most recent?) - no matter what I do - I tried a flash drive, an sd creader as well as hooking it to the gimbal. Flash drive and SD reader just show a red light instantly. Connecting to gimbal - camera points down and beeps every few seconds and there is a green light on controller.

No log file gets created (if I do it on my other controller it will at least say same firmware etc). Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Hi
I tryed to update my new phantom 3 to v1.2.8 and the phantom updater but the controller wouldn't. After down loading the update note it said that v1.2,8 didn't have a controller update. Now I don't know if the controller is OK to fly with or not.
The app said the firmware for the phantom is v1.2.8 but how do I find out the controller version or a better question can I still use it to fly?

I also think that the update note file should be in the zip file of the update like v1.2.8 thanks.

Hi
I tryed to update my new phantom 3 to v1.2.8 and the phantom updater but the controller wouldn't. After down loading the update note it said that v1.2,8 didn't have a controller update. Now I don't know if the controller is OK to fly with or not.
The app said the firmware for the phantom is v1.2.8 but how do I find out the controller version or a better question can I still use it to fly?

I also think that the update note file should be in the zip file of the update like v1.2.8 thanks.

I did find that this update does not have one for the controller, but there are still two problems in my mind -

What version are they shipping with at the moment (a really old one that still needs some update?)

If I try to run the 1.2.8 update on my other remote control it still writes in the file that the current firmware is the same/up to date. On my new one it does not even create a log file.

I did find that this update does not have one for the controller, but there are still two problems in my mind -

What version are they shipping with at the moment (a really old one that still needs some update?)

If I try to run the 1.2.8 update on my other remote control it still writes in the file that the current firmware is the same/up to date. On my new one it does not even create a log file.
Hi
My controller never gave me anything text file. When I tryed to update useing the phantom the camera just made a grinding sound and I ditn't get a blue ligh on the remote. I haven't tryed to fly yet I guess I will have to drop a email to DJI.

Try another USB stick or SD Card reader. That sorted my issues.

Try to reformat its original SD card to see if it works or not.
If the above method does not work, use a different SD card and make sure its file system is exFAT.

I'm having the same issue. Just got the Phantom today and decided to do the right thing and update to the latest firmware before I fly...
Updated the P3P just fine with the SD card, then trying to update the controller with a USB drive it doesn't work.
When I power the controller with the USB drive in it, the light is steady red and nothing happens. Then after a minute or so it starts to beep (light is still red).
Keeps beeping for a few minutes, then chirps two times and shuts down. No log file on the drive.

Same thing happens when I try another USB drive formatted as exFat and connecting it to the gimbal with the SD card in it.

Firmware Version is 1.2.6 and also looks like a lot of people are having issues with it, I should've read the firmware forum before trying the update...

UPDATE: Talked to DJI's online support, they asked what was the model of the controller and mine is "GL300B". The support guy said "ok it's the new model" and "it's ok to use it".

So it seems that the controller had the latest firmware already on it. There are two models - GL300A and GL300B. Wonder what the differences are?

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue. Just got the Phantom today and decided to do the right thing and update to the latest firmware before I fly...
Updated the P3P just fine with the SD card, then trying to update the controller with a USB drive it doesn't work.
When I power the controller with the USB drive in it, the light is steady red and nothing happens. Then after a minute or so it starts to beep (light is still red).
Keeps beeping for a few minutes, then chirps two times and shuts down. No log file on the drive.

Same thing happens when I try another USB drive formatted as exFat and connecting it to the gimbal with the SD card in it.

Firmware Version is 1.2.6 and also looks like a lot of people are having issues with it, I should've read the firmware forum before trying the update...

UPDATE: Talked to DJI's online support, they asked what was the model of the controller and mine is "GL300B". The support guy said "ok it's the new model" and "it's ok to use it".

So it seems that the controller had the latest firmware already on it. There are two models - GL300A and GL300B. Wonder what the differences are?

The beeping just happens to be what the controller does when you leave it on and don't use it. I noticed it a couple times in unrelated circumstances and I'm assuming it is just a "hey, turn me off" thing.

I also spoke with support and they told me the same thing. Also said it would say in Pilot if controller needed an update. The latest did not have an update for the controller anyway.

The thing that I don't get though is that on another controller that has latest firmware, the light wont be red right away (your description same as what I see). Other controller will show green and when I check it creates a log file and says firmware up to date (or whatever it says). This one just shows red and doesn't create a log file at all. I guess it's working fine now, hopefully whenever there is a new firmware update that installs without problems.

I'm glad I read that I'm not the only one having problems with this. We just received another Phantom Pro for the business and was installing the updates before the first flight. Same exact problem here with the controller not taking the update. It is also the GL300B controller and doesn't even see that an update is on the card. It just sets there and doesn't do anything. We have flown it a couple of times since trying to update the firmware and it flies just fine, but the fact that it says to update the firmware right after the pilot app suddenly shut down, kinda pissed me off. DJI needs to fix it.

same here guys i just picked up a new advanced p3 and updated the p3 to 1.28 was on 1.19 and controller is GL300B and i cant get it to update either also i get firmware needs updating in the dji app

hopefully it gets fixed

I just went through the same thing straight out of the box... An online agent told me I needed to send my controller in for repairs and that "turn around time is about 6 weeks and growing every day" Talk about disgusted!!"

So did you guys send yours back or have you used it without messing with the controller? I just don't want to do something to break it or cause a fly away

I've been flying with mine just my range is **** and the dji app says update firmware
I read another post and someone spoke with dji and they said the model gl300b has been updated ??? Anyone know about this

I just received my new P3 Pro a few days ago and it hasn't been outdoors yet. I haven't hooked up any tablet yet.

The problem is quite similar to the experiences others have had. The drone itself updates as expected. However when I save the same binary file on a USB stick (tried two, both with FAT32 and exFAT) and hook it up with the controller (GL300A), nothing happens when I power on the controller. The battery status lights turn on white and it shuts down after a moment. The firmware instructions by DJI say that it takes 60 secs to start, but heck, nothing happens after that either.

Any ideas what to do? Seems like no one in this thread has solved the issue.

Just one more thing... Taken how pricy a P3 is, the way firmware updates seem to work looks mostly like utmost crap to me. Overpriced public beta testing by paying lab rats?

Bought my P3 a wek back. Updated the 1.2.8 successfully on the aircraft with log file registered. However when I did it on the controller, no update happen only a message on my iphone 6plus saying that the firmaware I have on the card (in the usb reader) is either older or the same. I reckon the 1.2.8 firmware is only to update the main craft.

I went for maiden flight under beginner mode earlier today and all seems fine, RTH works, camera works, controller no issue.

Would be nice in the next firmware upgrade there is an option to check controllers firmware version.

I will try tmrw to fly without beginners mode.

OK so I range tested my gl300b against my mates gl300a
Today I am on firmware 128 he's on older firmware 119
I got to 3.5km he got to 3km because he was being cautious
Looks like the new Gl300b is good his controller updates with firmware mine does not

I would say that they don't need to update tx now only aircraft as they can update the djipilot app now instead of using controller to make changes

So don't be worried just go fly

You will have glitches like
Please update firmware etc
But this will be fixed soon I'd say

Yup I have also double confirmed by checking the release note for 1.2.8 as follows. You guys are ok to fly.

Overview: 1. All-in-One Firmware version updated to:v1.2.8
Major Updates:
1. Fixed issue of unwanted lines at the bottom of photos and videos when the image scale is set to 4:3.
Notice:  Users may skip updating the remote controller if they have already updated the firmware to v1.2.7, as the latest firmware update does not affect the remote controller

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav