Controller to Phantom 2 Bound But Not Controlling

Reaction score
Been a while........

I have not flown for a little while. I have a Phantom 2 w/2x3 Gimbal, FPV & standard controller. Purchased as a package from B&H about 1 1/2 years ago. All flights have gone well over the period of ownership.

About a month ago my computer crashed from a bad hard drive. I had it back up and running shortly thereafter with new hard drives (Windows 7 64-bit). All seemed well until I realized that my DJI software was no longer on my PC. Since it had been a while since my last flight, I wanted to check my settings. I reloaded the RC System Assistant and successfully re-calibrated my controller. I then loaded the Phantom 2 Vision v3.8 (I could not find a "non-Vision" version of this software). It had me update the firmware & I re-calibrated the the sticks from this software. My Phantom 2 is binding to the controller (Light is green).

Upon turning on the controller & then the Phantom for a short test, the light is green indicating connectivity between the controller and the Phantom, but input from the controller does nothing on the Phantom. No stick control, no GoPro Gimbal control.

Cannot seem to resolve this. I have been lucky in that this equipment has worked flawlessly until the above changes. Ideas? Thanks!

Bruce

Been a while........

I have not flown for a little while. I have a Phantom 2 w/2x3 Gimbal, FPV & standard controller. Purchased as a package from B&H about 1 1/2 years ago. All flights have gone well over the period of ownership.

About a month ago my computer crashed from a bad hard drive. I had it back up and running shortly thereafter with new hard drives (Windows 7 64-bit). All seemed well until I realized that my DJI software was no longer on my PC. Since it had been a while since my last flight, I wanted to check my settings. I reloaded the RC System Assistant and successfully re-calibrated my controller. I then loaded the Phantom 2 Vision v3.8 (I could not find a "non-Vision" version of this software). It had me update the firmware & I re-calibrated the the sticks from this software. My Phantom 2 is binding to the controller (Light is green).

Upon turning on the controller & then the Phantom for a short test, the light is green indicating connectivity between the controller and the Phantom, but input from the controller does nothing on the Phantom. No stick control, no GoPro Gimbal control.

Cannot seem to resolve this. I have been lucky in that this equipment has worked flawlessly until the above changes. Ideas? Thanks!

Bruce

This is the normal operation of the controller when it's off the binding LED on the P2 is red when you turn on the controller the LED turns green but that doesn't need it is linked to the P2. To link the controller turn it on and place it about three feet from the P2 then push down the button until the LED flashes red and release. Now you should be able to calibrate both the controller and P2 use there respective software. After calibrating the controller leave it on for the P2 cal.

Thanks Jason & Max! I understand about the bind button on the bottom of my Phantom 2. I have done this but did not leave the controller on for the P2 calibration. Followed y our instructions. Does not make any difference. Still no control over the P2 or attached Gimbal, even though I am able to calibrate the sticks successfully in the P2 software...... Here are my exact steps:
  • Start RC System Assistant Software (Logged in)
  • Turn on Controller
  • Connect controller to computer with cable. (Recognized with the Blue & Green lights in software)
  • Successfully conduct controller calibration.
  • Disconnect controller from computer but leave controller turned on.
  • Start Phantom 2 Assistant v3.8 (Logged in)
  • Turn on P2
  • Connect P2 to the computer with cable. (Recognized with the Blue & Green lights in software)
  • Successfully conduct stick calibration for P2 using the controller.
  • Disconnect P2 from computer.
  • Turn both P2 and controller off.
  • Turn on controller. (3 beeps, green light)
  • Turn on P2. (Bind light green)
Try to induce movement on the Phantom 2 from the controller. Will not turn props or make any other movements. Immediately after startup, the gimbal lever on the back of the controller will sometimes move the GoPro, but in a weird way. A half movement of the rear arm moves the GoPro from straight ahead to fully down. A continuation of the rear arm movement the rest of the same direction results in the GoPro moving back to straight ahead. In other words a full movement either way moves the GoPro down and back up again instead of the expected, one way for camera facing down, the other way for the camera to face straight ahead. Only does this movement for a couple of times, then no further connection. The gimbal even drops as in the non-powered position..

Again to restate. All functioned correctly for the year and 1/2 I have owned the Phantom 2, until I attempted re-calibration with newly downloaded DJI software.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks Jason & Max! I understand about the bind button on the bottom of my Phantom 2. I have done this but did not leave the controller on for the P2 calibration. Followed y our instructions. Does not make any difference. Still no control over the P2 or attached Gimbal, even though I am able to calibrate the sticks successfully in the P2 software...... Here are my exact steps:
  • Start RC System Assistant Software (Logged in)
  • Turn on Controller
  • Connect controller to computer with cable. (Recognized with the Blue & Green lights in software)
  • Successfully conduct controller calibration.
  • Disconnect controller from computer but leave controller turned on.
  • Start Phantom 2 Assistant v3.8 (Logged in)
  • Turn on P2
  • Connect P2 to the computer with cable. (Recognized with the Blue & Green lights in software)
  • Successfully conduct stick calibration for P2 using the controller.
  • Disconnect P2 from computer.
  • Turn both P2 and controller off.
  • Turn on controller. (3 beeps, green light)
  • Turn on P2. (Bind light green)
Try to induce movement on the Phantom 2 from the controller. Will not turn props or make any other movements. Immediately after startup, the gimbal lever on the back of the controller will sometimes move the GoPro, but in a weird way. A half movement of the rear arm moves the GoPro from straight ahead to fully down. A continuation of the rear arm movement the rest of the same direction results in the GoPro moving back to straight ahead. In other words a full movement either way moves the GoPro down and back up again instead of the expected, one way for camera facing down, the other way for the camera to face straight ahead. Only does this movement for a couple of times, then no further connection. The gimbal even drops as in the non-powered position..

Again to restate. All functioned correctly for the year and 1/2 I have owned the Phantom 2, until I attempted re-calibration with newly downloaded DJI software.

Thanks!

Have you had the shell open lately? There are two reasons why the props won't spin up either the GPS connector isn't plugged in or seated fully or the two spring loaded info pin are not reaching the two copper pads under the battery terminals.

When you calibrated the sticks in both assistant softwares did you also calibrate X! in both as well??

Have you had the shell open lately? There are two reasons why the props won't spin up either the GPS connector isn't plugged in or seated fully or the two spring loaded info pin are not reaching the two copper pads under the battery terminals.

When you calibrated the sticks in both assistant softwares did you also calibrate X! in both as well??

The shell has never been open. I had not calibrated the X1. Re-calibrated everything. Now works, including gimbal (X1). Thanks you. I do have one remaining problem that has been a slight issue for ever.

The X1 movement is very fast/quick/small lever movement for large gimbal movement. The RC software calibration allowed the X1 to calibrate all the way from -1000 to 991. The Phantom 2 software calibration moved the needle fully from one extreme to the other however............
the gimbal only actually moved when the P2 software X1 calibration needle was in the center 1/4 of travel. In-other-words, I move the lever about 1/3 of the way before the calibration needle moves at all. Then it moves very quickly (little movement for a lot of gimbal travel) from lock to lock. Then the remaining about 1/3 of the lever travel is free movement without affect on the gimbal.

In practice now, whether moving the GoPro up or down: A lot of travel with no affect. Sever affect/movement from lock to lock with little lever travel. Then a lot of movement again without any gimbal travel. Functions the same way when the lever movement is reversed.

One other thing. I know at some point I will have to go into the shell. I find some explanations on how to crack the shell, but no images to show me where everything is located inside the shell. Know where I can find such diagrams/images?

Thank you,
Bruce

The shell has never been open. I had not calibrated the X1. Re-calibrated everything. Now works, including gimbal (X1). Thanks you. I do have one remaining problem that has been a slight issue for ever.

The X1 movement is very fast/quick/small lever movement for large gimbal movement. The RC software calibration allowed the X1 to calibrate all the way from -1000 to 991. The Phantom 2 software calibration moved the needle fully from one extreme to the other however............
the gimbal only actually moved when the P2 software X1 calibration needle was in the center 1/4 of travel. In-other-words, I move the lever about 1/3 of the way before the calibration needle moves at all. Then it moves very quickly (little movement for a lot of gimbal travel) from lock to lock. Then the remaining about 1/3 of the lever travel is free movement without affect on the gimbal.

In practice now, whether moving the GoPro up or down: A lot of travel with no affect. Sever affect/movement from lock to lock with little lever travel. Then a lot of movement again without any gimbal travel. Functions the same way when the lever movement is reversed.

One other thing. I know at some point I will have to go into the shell. I find some explanations on how to crack the shell, but no images to show me where everything is located inside the shell. Know where I can find such diagrams/images?

Thank you,
Bruce

Bruce go into the P2 assistant and under the advance tab go to gimbal and adjust the Tilt Control Gain and move it to the left to slow down the tilt. Adjust it while moving the lever back and forth to where you like it.

You might look into replacing the controller for the new NDJ6 with the tilt wheel on the side and self contained battery.
DJI Transmitter v2.0 for Phantom 2 Quadcopter CP.PT.000129 B&H

Been a while........

I have not flown for a little while. I have a Phantom 2 ...

I reloaded the RC System Assistant and successfully re-calibrated my controller. I then loaded the Phantom 2 Vision v3.8 (I could not find a "non-Vision" version of this software). It had me update the firmware & I re-calibrated the the sticks from this software. My Phantom 2 is binding to the controller (Light is green).

Bruce
You have a P2?

You're using P2V software?

You couldn't find non-Vision software?

Here is the non-Vision P2 software:

Phantom 2 - Downloads - Manuals, Software, Drivers download | DJI

Hope this helps

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads