Controller range question for DJI phantom 2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new on here and have been enjoying reading through the forum. I am on my second DJI Phantom, I originally purchased the Phantom 1 and had a great time learning to fly and use it and about the time I was ready to upgrade I lost it :eek: It was my fault and I was in a hurry to catch a great sunset and didn't let the compass calibrate and it just flew away. Anyway, I just bought the DJI Phantom 2 Vision plus and I love it but when I see the range people are getting with it I am worried mine may be defective. I take a lot of high aerial shots for people and friends so a lot of time I am just going straight up 600 to 1500 feet. I seem to just randomly loose range to the controller, not the camera but the controller. Sometimes at 600 ft, sometimes above that and then it goes into go home mode and slowly works its way back down. Is this normal or is my range weak? Is the an upgrade for better range? Thanks for any info/thoughts on this subject.

Elijah

Are you pointing the TX antenna properly? Point the long side of the antenna toward the phantom. Not the end. That's the only thing I can think of besides FCC mode, which I assume you already checked.

Yea, I have the antenna pointed sideways to the drone. I'm not even sure what FCC mode is. So far I have just been flying with S1 and S2 in the up position.

elijahallen said:
Yea, I have the antenna pointed sideways to the drone. I'm not even sure what FCC mode is. So far I have just been flying with S1 and S2 in the up position.
My version of the manual it is on page 8. May have moved it with updated manual.

Going straight up you are always going to have a sub-optimal signal.
You will have better control if you fly out and up rather than straight up.
Sounds like there's some more reading of the manual required too.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

http://elektroarsenal.net/dipole-antennas.html

Look at :"Figure 2" to see a graphic that illustrates the radiation pattern of a vertically polarized, omnidirectional dipole.
(The same type as is on your DJI transmitter)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers