Controller - iPad/mini?

Reaction score
I keep seeing things about putting an iPad mini on the controller, but no one says anything about iPad. Does the iPad not fit? I'd rather use the iPad I have rather than go buy a mini that I don't want.

All iPads are too slow to run the DJI GO app. If using an Apple tablet, you'll need an iPad Mini 2 (or higher) or an iPad Air.

The iPad Air will fit in the remote controller mount. If you have a large case on it (e.g. an Otterbox), you might need to attach an extender -- like this one.

I'm confused... ALL iPads are too slow, but the iPad Air is fine? My iPad is an Air. Would it work? You say they do, but you also say they don't when you say ALL iPads are too slow. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

iPad Air will fit and work fine. I have the Air 2 and it works great.

Old ipads are slow but new ones, mini 3 , air 2 ect are 2gig ram with better gfx chip... , but any should work, just lag if slow.. the main thing is have everything turned off but the go app
a dedicated unit is best, I have no problem with my ipads.. but android does ma edd in

I use an iPad mini 4 and it's just fine. Plenty of power to run the app.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm confused... ALL iPads are too slow
Yes, sir. An iPad is not the same thing as an iPad Mini or iPad Air. They are completely different products. Apple no longer manufactures the original iPad.

It's important to concisely differentiate in order to prevent any misunderstanding. It would be a shame to see someone go out an buy an old iPad thinking it'll work.

While on the topic, I also got my P3 Pro a few days ago, using an iPad Air which seems fine, but looking for a mini, what are the advantages of getting a mini with wifi and mini with LTE, I could theoretically just hotspot my iPhone for Internet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could theoretically just hotspot my iPhone for Internet?
Yes.

The advantage of the cellular model is that it has a GPS receiver. That means you can use the Follow Me feature in DJI GO or reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. If you're not going to use either of those features, then it's not important to have a GPS receiver in your tablet.

Msinger i am pretty sure OP was asking about CURRENT apple products and not something from 5 years ago....

OP: I run Air 2 with P3P and it works very well, except it does not fit in the backpack.

So for that purpose i am thinking about either getting a mini 4 or cheap android tablet.

I use a wifi only mini 4 as I don't need the couple of extra features that use can with cellular.
It's also £100 cheaper in the UK if you only buy the wifi version!

Msinger i am pretty sure OP was asking about CURRENT apple products and not something from 5 years ago...
Perhaps. But, he mentioned "iPad" and "iPad Mini" in his post. Why wouldn't he just call the iPad Mini an "iPad" too?

But, I digress. I'm sure you understand that it's important to be clear so that everyone reading this thread understands what we're talking about. I prefer not to force people to assume.

Tried my iPad Air 2 but it was way too heavy stuck on the controller. My iPhone is far too
small for me to see so the mini is perfect.

Perhaps. But, he mentioned "iPad" and "iPad Mini" in his post. Why wouldn't he just call the iPad Mini an "iPad" too?

But, I digress. I'm sure you understand that it's important to be clear so that everyone reading understands what we're talking about. I prefer not to force people to assume.

Lol dude i think you are being way too **** about this for no reason. BTW go look at ipad mini 4 as far as I remember on the side if the box it says ipad mini without any numbers.

Lol dude i think you are being way too **** about this for no reason. BTW go look at ipad mini 4 as far as I remember on the side if the box it says ipad mini without any numbers.

Lol dude i think you are being way too **** about this for no reason.
I'm just trying to be helpful. Search this forum and you will find people who tried to use an iPad with DJI GO.

BTW go look at ipad mini 4 as far as I remember on the side if the box it says ipad mini without any numbers.
Yep. I recall that too.

I'm just trying to be helpful. Search this forum and you will find people who tried to use an iPad with DJI GO.

Yep. I recall that too.

Well if they want to use something from 5 years ago (mind you android from 5 years ago were complete POS) apple or android let them do it. You cant fix common sense.

In case of OP i have a feeling he was asking about current models, i hope. Because he mentioned purchasing mini, i hope he wasn't talking about buying original ipad mini from a pawn shop lol

Just my opinion.

Yes.

The advantage of the cellular model is that it has a GPS receiver. That means you can use the Follow Me feature in DJI GO or reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. If you're not going to use either of those features, then it's not important to have a GPS receiver in your tablet.
Thanks for the info!

iPad Retina (1st Gen) reporting in here. I DFU'd my iPad and then set it up as a new tablet instead of restoring from a backup. The DJI Go app works great for me, so I dunno why everyone's knocking iPads as "too slow". I did have to buy an extender so the P4 mount could hold my iPad, found one on Amazon for a few bucks that is sold for the P3, and it works great.

Haha Indeed I was not. In fact, all I was referring to in the OP was the SIZE of the iPad fitting. I had only seen people refer to the phone or mini, but not a full-sized iPhone. I assumed that if a mini fit and worked, there would be an iPad able to run it. But it was the size I was concerned with. When I get mine, I'll be flying it with my iPad Air. Thanks all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1