Controller Compairison. GL300C vs GL300A vs GL658B

Reaction score
I made a few comparison flights between my original GL300C RX Comparing it with a GL300A ( P3P RX )
The results were posted in another thread. I will post them here as well as yesterdays 3 controller flight test.

As many have already read, the GL300C is supposed to be the weakest RX to date. Facts vary but it looks like the GL300A (P3P) has 30% more power output and the GL658 ( Inspire ) has 50% more. Sounds good right :)
Well MaxxUAV post a reading of the output dropping on a GL658 when paired to a P4 ?? Hmmm
Is output determined by what the RX is linked to ??
There have been plenty of threads of people with Inspire RX's more than doubling range over the stock RX, also plenty of good threads about using the older P3P RX. Confused yet...lol, I am :)

Here is what i notice. Most of the people showing hugh improvements are having range issue stock.
I wasn't, so what i found may not be the case for your situation. I am also not flying with Zero interference over a desert or ocean. I am flying mostly over water from a boat. i do pass over several power lines, bridges, a small town and there is a cell tower 5000 ft to my side.

09/18 GL300C vs GL300A. Purposely position my boat as to have a small tree line slightly in the way.

Original RX ( GL300C ) = 6364 ft
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

P3P RX ( GL300A ) = 6600 ft

09/19 Positioned boat to get as clear of LOS as possible.

GL300A = 11416 ft

GL300C = 12688 ft

Pretty much a wash..

09/28 Original 300C vs P3P 300A vs GL658B Insprire RX

GL658B = 10065 ft

GL300C ( Original ) = 13136 ft

GL300A = 16104 ft

GL658B Again. 2 Files, bird disconnected for what looks like 1500', It was on it's way home.

Out http://healthydrones.com/main?share=SGNjbg = 10751 ft
Back HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I do plan to repeat this again. The 658 had a bad day. maybe interferance ?? It was disconnected for awhile but made it home. Didn't like that.
I had the GL658 out 15000 ft the day before with Parabolic's on it. didn't figure it would drop off so much without them or that the 300A could go past 16000 stock.

It looks as though what MAXX UAV is saying is true in my case. they seem pretty close so far, no real stand out.

Last edited:
Interesting, but single flight tests are not going to show much unless there is a big difference. You will need to run the same tests a number of times to determine the repeatability of your findings for a single controller - aircraft combo. Then see if the differing combos have any differences.

I'm going to guess that over a number of runs, we aren't going to see much difference. But you've got to do the tests to be sure.

Interesting, but single flight tests are not going to show much unless there is a big difference. You will need to run the same tests a number of times to determine the repeatability of your findings for a single controller - aircraft combo. Then see if the differing combos have any differences.

I'm going to guess that over a number of runs, we aren't going to see much difference. But you've got to do the tests to be sure.

Agree, but not looking for small differences. to many variables for that.
I wanted to see if the Inspire or P3P RX would stand out in range or penetration over the P4 RX.
I have seen plenty of post where a simple RX swap would net 50/100% improvement.
I have also seen post that show the power being cut back once paired to a P4.
The second seems to be the case with me. they all have performed about the same in the limited amount of testing I have done.

I do have 3 sets of runs comparing the 300A and 300C. Distance and penetration are pretty close between them.I have gotten to know the 300C over 40 flights from my boat. One doesn't stand out over the other. I'm pretty sure that will be the case with the GL658. We will see :)

PS
I am not unhappy with the range of my P4 stock. My controller addiction gives me another reason to fly :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyB
Reactions: Jim Canada
You never used the Inspire RC type C, not A or B.
FCC: SS3-GL658C1504
iuiu.PNG

Reactions: Jussaguy
You never used the Inspire RC type C, not A or B.
FCC: SS3-GL658C1504
View attachment 66625

No sir, Mine is a "B" model.
This is were the confusion begins... GL300 "C" P4 is registered being the lowest power output yet. The 300 A and B models are supposed to be higher output.
Are the Inspire Models the opposite ??
There is also info that shows a 300A being very close to the same power as the 658C
Then we have Maxx Uav's post where he shows the Inspire power being reduced when paired to a P4 ??
In my experience, ( I'm light years behind you :) ) All 3 perform very close to each other for me. If anything the 658 was the worse.
I know it was night and day difference on your bird and a few others.
It's a mystery

Last edited:
Are the Inspire Model the opposite ??
---YES
There is also info that shows a 300A being very close to the same power as the 658C
---YES (almost)
Then we have Maxx Uav's post where he shows the Inspire power being reduced when paired to a P4 ??
---Not sure how it came to this but my RC/C beats all other controllers in distance. Now due to GO app 3.0.0 the RC can not fly the P4 further than 200 yards and loose connection. Thank you DJI.

Thanks for explaining Dacon !! My bad.. assumed the 658 B was close to the C model.
Funny how these things vary.

Since you have the other radios, look for the FCC # on the back of the radio and go to this FCC page, fill in the FCC # and scroll all the way to the bottom to see the Tx out power.
Post the values here. My RC-C FCC is SS3-GL658C1504
FCC ID Database Search

Are the Inspire Model the opposite ??
---YES
---YES (almost)
---Not sure how it came to this but my RC/C beats all other controllers in distance. Now due to GO app 3.0.0 the RC can not fly the P4 further than 200 yards and loose connection. Thank you DJI.

I'm going to try to get my hands on some of the p3p a/b/c remotes and test actual output.

The single flight tests are not really super accurate but the reading from the rig expert I feel are a lot more solid.

Hopefully we can get a definitive answer

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Who has the FCC # for:

Phantom 3 and 4
- GL300A >>> SS3-GL3001501 >>> Tx 0.380w
- GL300B >>> SS3-GL3001501 >>> Tx 0.380w
- GL300C >>> SS3-GL3001510 >>> Tx 0.303w

Inspire 1 and Pro 1
- GL658A >>> SS3-GL6581410 >>> Tx 0.370w
- GL658B >>> SS3-GL6581502 >>> Tx 0.483w
- GL658C >>> SS3-GL658C1504 >>>Tx 0.743w

Lets fill in the data for above table before in field testing is done.

Last edited:
GL658B SS3-GL6581502 = 0.01483 Output Watts
GL300A SS3-GL3001501 = 0.038 "
GL300C SS3-GL3001510 = 0.303

Can this be right ?? .01 Watts output on the 658B...

Last edited:
If any of you is in IT (embedded systems, binary analysis,...) it would probably be helpful to have a look at my thread about reverse engineering the firmware.
I already found multiple single weakest spots, where one breakthrough will compromise the whole security chain.
check start_dji_system.sh in my firmware upload. TX Power and other mods P4 via Telnet and FTP

Reactions: Turbomania
I'm going to try to get my hands on some of the p3p a/b/c remotes and test actual output.

The single flight tests are not really super accurate but the reading from the rig expert I feel are a lot more solid.

Hopefully we can get a definitive answer

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I would be more than happy to send you my GL300A for testing. I was going to send it in anyway to have you mod it with connectors and buy an Evolite Kit.
Plan to mount the Amp and a pair of Omni's on my boat.

I would offer the GL658B for testing but it's on E Bay.

Last edited:
GL658B 0.01483 watts
GL658C 0.743 watts

Are these numbers correct?
According to this the GL658C is 50x times stronger!!!
This is impossible just because of the various tests performed.

If I had to guess, both are typos....
The GL658B is probably 0.0483
And the GL658C is probably 0.0743

These FCC documentations are not to be trusted...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I corrected the mistake. Is always 0.XXX (hundreds of watts).
Max Tx power can not go over 1.0 watt for any RC planes, helis, drones. My old JR transmitter for model planes is 0.950w.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.