Control Tower - Stay under 400 feet ?????

Reaction score
I know the question has been asked and answered if the 400 feet max altitude is a guide or law. All answers here on the forum have stated it is a guideline. My FAA B4U Fly App has me more than five mikes from my closeest manned tower (11 mi.)airport but within 5 miles of a small municipal airport, hospital trauma center and two other private heliports. The App says I must notify the control tower prior to flying. (It would be nice if the FAA INCLUDED THE NUMBER TO CALL.). Anyway I called the manned airport tower which is about eleven miles away and asked them what should I do. The gentleman was very nice and advised I should call them any time I wanted to fly so they could advise any local air traffic. He said to make sure I kept it at under 400 feet. I said I thought 400 feet was a guideline and not law and he disagreed saying it was a regulation?????

If you do not want to fly above 400', forget the words regulation or guideline. Things were not earlier taken seriously as flying ranges were limited, number of pilots were limited, FVPs were limited and so on...but not more and more discussions is taken place on air traffic regulations due to increased number of UAVs with great capabilities.

The hardest part is figuring out what height 400 feet AGL is when flying over terrain of changing elevations, as the DJI GO app knows nothing about AGL. It only supplies altitude relative to your launch point. It is your responsibility to adjust your flying elevation to the actual ground level below the aircraft at all times, and not your launch point elevation!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic