Control multiple Phantoms

Reaction score
Dear All
Good morning. I am looking for a way permits me controlling many phantoms pro 3 together and simultaneously.
It will be very kind of you if you can help me..

Dear All
Good morning. I am looking for a way permits me controlling many phantoms pro 3 together and simultaneously.
It will be very kind of you if you can help me..

Why would you want to.......

A Phantom can only be paired to one remote controller at a time. So, you'd need to be operating multiple remote controllers simultaneously in order to do what you're suggesting.

The technology exists and has been demonstrated by universities and industry with purpose-built multi-rotors but is not yet commercially available.
It requires lots of computer 'resources'.

I've heard that the 4 can be used to follow other GPS drones (or any other GPS device). you are probably looking for swarming techniques. this is not that, but getting there.

More internet myth...The P4 is capable of tracking other objects but has nothing to do with GPS. Just how robust the 'follow-me' feature is will be posted here as time goes on.

A Phantom can only be paired to one remote controller at a time. So, you'd need to be operating multiple remote controllers simultaneously in order to do what you're suggesting.
The question is whether more than one Phantom can be paired to a single remote controller the way you used to be able to do with Blade 350QXs. Like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I doubt it though, since unlike the old 350, there is a lot of 2 way communication going on between a P3 and its RC.

Current RC can't control multiple P3s simultaneously.

Let's assume that somehow one hacks to connect two P3s to one RC, then RC will remember only one position at any time and will make them collide in air. This may require offsetting x-y-z coordinates on the P3s. This is an interesting problem to solve but we can't do unless FW is hacked.

Last edited:
You can use Universal Ground Control Station station to do this.
Ground Station Software | UgCS PC Mission Planning

It is a PC based mission planning system. It uses a mobile app to connect to and fly the drone, and if you have multiple mobile devices connected to multiple drones on the same local network, you can simultaneously control multiple drones from the same PC.

Live "click to fly" for multiple P3/Inspire drones on one map on the PC.

Last edited:
You can use Universal Ground Control Station station to do this.
Ground Station Software | UgCS PC Mission Planning

It is a PC based mission planning system. It uses a mobile app to connect to and fly the drone, and if you have multiple mobile devices connected to multiple drones on the same local network, you can simultaneously control multiple drones from the same PC.
OPs question was about one controller and multiple phantoms.

Where do you see that in the question? Plus, that's impossible anyway with this system.
He only asked about controlling multiple phantoms simultaneously. This is the only way to do that, AFAIK.
May be I misunderstood. Yep, he didn't explicitly say "multiple phantoms with single controller". Our mind keeps on assuming things that are not clearly said.

Problem is they'll all drift or diverge as they are not equal.

How about to create a waypoint mission and copy/sync the mission file to multiple devices. Then run the mission on all Phantoms at the same time to let them dance together.
It would be interesting to watch multiple phantoms flying in synch maintaining a safe distance between them.

thank you all for your replying, I need to know the protocol of controlling P3P so I can develop a program allows me to control multiple P3P simultaneously

Something could be done with Inspire 1 controllers, they are equipped with a 5ghz trx that can sync controllers each other...

You'd be much better off building purpose built quads with arduino computers. There is some open source stuff for swarming drones, but it requires two way communication and central computer controlled processing. It prioritizes a"leader" drone's telemetry and data and synchs the others positions to it by a simple offset of gps position and timed repositioning.

I have read some reports of non-centralized control, with a leader making autonomous decisions for a given flight path.

I imagine it is done this way: Each drone is given a leadership priority, with each drone being the lead for the subsequent drone. The prime leader drone then broadcasts its position which is followed by a polling of that leader's telemetry by the next in line using a timed response and a predetermined offset of the leaders interim waypoint. The offset position is randomly generated by the subsequent drone so that a pattern of behavior does not develop. Before the waypoint is reached, the process is cycled so that the swarm moves in a continuous wave without starting and stopping.

I.d imagine the military is researching primarily autonomous control that could work like this: Once the leader drone is given a waypoint and target, it becomes autonomous. At a given "target" point, the lead drone selects its target, tracks it (just like a phantom 4), and stays in motion. The leader shares the information with its followers. This is repeated until all drones aquire the target at randomly generated offset positions. Instead of targeting with a camera, a gimbal stabilized weapon is used. The biggest challenge would be signal security and hardening the drones against disruption by jamming in a battlefield environment.

That's a boatload of coding and engineering outside of a university or a major collaborative effort. But it works. If your that good, I'm sure DARPA is looking, especially at Virginia Tech. Keep us posted on your efforts.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Dear Mr. DrJoe
Thank you very much for your suggestions. But I need something different.
What I need exactly is a computer interface - Can be Labview interface - that allows me controlling two drones simultaneously.
I could not find a ready interface online, so I am thinking of developing one. And in order to do, I need to know the communication protocol used in Phantom 3 Pro. I need also to know if there is any open source code for P3P in which I can know the proper language and instructions for P3P.

Best regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers