Contest to win a new DJI Mavic (ONLY 10 DAYS TO GO!!)

For the contest, only the Video Productions category will count. However, you are more than welcome to submit stock segments for approval. No watermarking on stock segments. For approval, you need to submit 720p files which have virtually nu use from a commercial aspect so risks of having this stolen for commercial reasons is close to 0. The full resolution files are uploaded to our server only after clips are approved.

Those 4K files remain on our server until someone purchases them and downloads.

Yes, stock segments are single shots. I highly recommend grading your footage as well so it stands out a lot more.

For the artists pages, I unlock them once a person has at least 50 active products on the site. The page serves as a sort of portfolio for artists.

Cheers

Patrice

Fantastic, thanks for the information.

Are there any other considerations for stock footage? Length, specifically? I gather you require all footage be 2K or higher?

Contest: Win a brand new DJI Mavic !

To celebrate the launch of the new AES platform, we are organising a contest for our first ever 'Video of the Month'.

The winner of the contest will receive the brand new DJI Mavic (or equivalent monetary value)

Rules are the following:
- Contest period is from October 17 to November 30, 2016
- Video must showcase aerial footage ONLY (any video that includes non aerial footage will not be considered for the contest)
- Footage MUST be in 4K resolution at the minimum
- Video must be below 3 minutes in duration
- Participants must be registered sellers on Aerial Entertainment Studios (to setup your account, please visit Sell your footage)
- Videos must pass our curating process and be showcased on the AES website (videos that are rejected during the curating process will not be eligible)
- Videos must be submitted from Vimeo or YouTube

The process

- 3 judges are deciding of the final winner.
- Videos will be reviewed and a shortlist of 10 finalists will be made.
- Shortlist will be communicated publicly and the judges will decide on the winner.
- The winner can select to receive the DJI Mavic or the equivalent value in USD.

For any more information, please do not hesitate to communicate with us.

Good luck to all.

Cheers

Patrice Gaucher LL.B.
CEO, Aerial Entertainment Studios
Hong Kong
If you're in the UK, without a PFCO issued by the CAA, you would be breaking the law if you entered this competition as it involves a monetary or commercial reward and also requires you being registered on a commercial website. I am taking my commercial licence exams next February, so maybe I'll enter if it's still going in March. But until then, you have basically cut out the vast percentage of the UK flyers with your rules...

Reactions: y2keable
If you're in the UK, without a PFCO issued by the CAA, you would be breaking the law if you entered this competition as it involves a monetary or commercial reward and also requires you being registered on a commercial website. I am taking my commercial licence exams next February, so maybe I'll enter if it's still going in March. But until then, you have basically cut out the vast percentage of the UK flyers with your rules...

If you don't register as a company, but personally, set the footage value to zero, and don't accept any inquiries for hire, you are not receiving a commercial benefit, but a personal one. Also, AES will not be receiving a commercial benefit, as they will make no money on the footage. Would that fall inside the guidelines?

The commercial benefit thing, as I understand it, could so broadly be interpreted, that simply submitting to Facebook or YouTube could be considered commercial benefit, and be breaking the law. As content on any Social Platform benefits the platform it's self by providing content that can be monetized. Maybe we could file a class action suit against YT so they can not show commercials or ads on submitted aerial footage because it pushes us out of our legal bounds... Yeah, that will work...

Ok then we can make this really simple for UK pilots. If the winning video comes from the UK, then we will not pay anything to them, and offer a round of beers for 10 people :)

How does that sound ?

I have not yet heard of ANYONE being fined, arrested, or in any other way reprimanded for exercising a hobby and being recognized for their talent. I am more than happy to comply to the UK laws if that means not providing any form of actual monetary payment.

If you have any other suggestions, please do let me know. The beer offer could be a good alternative :)

Cheers

Patrice

Reactions: Neon Euc
Ok then we can make this really simple for UK pilots. If the winning video comes from the UK, then we will not pay anything to them, and offer a round of beers for 10 people :)

How does that sound ?

I have not yet heard of ANYONE being fined, arrested, or in any other way reprimanded for exercising a hobby and being recognized for their talent. I am more than happy to comply to the UK laws if that means not providing any form of actual monetary payment.

If you have any other suggestions, please do let me know. The beer offer could be a good alternative :)

Cheers

Patrice
lol love it :) that made my day lol. is it ok to upload my video here via youtube as I cant log on to the site for some reason?

this is my latest video so far

lol love it :) that made my day lol. is it ok to upload my video here via youtube as I cant log on to the site for some reason?

I just watched the video. It still wouldn't make the cut, but it is better than previous. Here are a few reasons, and I mention this in a constructive manner.

1) There are a lot of rapid camera tilts. This is amplified by the fact that your footage is accelerated on a few occasions. Those quick tilts render that footage useless from a commercial standpoint. One way you can address this is by changing your tilt wheel settings to reduce the sensitivity. I usually have mine at 30% or 40% which smoothens out the movement.

2) The subject is not really 'exotic'. I like the church, landscapes, lake, but then we also have a lot of highway shots that really don't add much value aside from filling time. Probably better to focus on a topic and stick to footage related to that topic. This way one can identify a form of story line. Currently, it's hard to see what the story is about.

Just some pointers to help with the quality of the output. No to be taken as criticism, but rather as constructive comments.

Cheers

Patrice

Really happy to say our most recent video of Maldives was recognised by DJI and added to their forum home page. The video also was selected as one of the best aerial videos of the month on AirVuz.

AirVuz pays $100 for their top video, we are giving away a DJI MAVIC !

Keep the videos coming people. Lots of talent on this forum and we need to get more people engaged.

Here is the Maldives video for your reference.

Splendid Maldives

Cheers

Patrice

You have some interesting content in there, in addition to Patrice's pointers, I would also suggest:

1. Use simple transitions.
2. Maintain the same aspect ratio from shot to shot (your aspect ratios are all over the board for some reason [see "black bars" on the left and right sides]).
3. Avoid including move changes unless they are imperceptible (angle/pathing changes).
4. You open with some non-aerial-platform footage.

The inner content has some good stuff, though, just remember that it isn't a length competition, but quality, so don't worry about cutting things out.

Really happy to say our most recent video of Maldives was recognised by DJI and added to their forum home page. The video also was selected as one of the best aerial videos of the month on AirVuz.

AirVuz pays $100 for their top video, we are giving away a DJI MAVIC !

Keep the videos coming people. Lots of talent on this forum and we need to get more people engaged.

Here is the Maldives video for your reference.

Splendid Maldives

Cheers

Patrice

I should hope it came with such high acclaim, it's a house video. Also, it is GORGEOUS...

How does that sound ?

Cheers

Patrice

Unfortunately, that would probably still count as "compensation." For what it is worth, though, it is no different than entering into a photo contest where you are recognized for the quality of your work. It isn't a commercial gain, but a recognition. The issue would be if the footage were purchased in any manner for compensation, which, if it is listed for $0, it isn't. I am not a lawyer, but I think that would fly... ;-)

You have some interesting content in there, in addition to Patrice's pointers, I would also suggest:

1. Use simple transitions.
2. Maintain the same aspect ratio from shot to shot (your aspect ratios are all over the board for some reason [see "black bars" on the left and right sides]).
3. Avoid including move changes unless they are imperceptible (angle/pathing changes).
4. You open with some non-aerial-platform footage.

The inner content has some good stuff, though, just remember that it isn't a length competition, but quality, so don't worry about cutting things out.
Thank you for the advice :) the frame size was cropped as I had props in the way lol. I did use transitions a lot but my laptop slowed right down and mucked it up lol

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just watched the video. It still wouldn't make the cut, but it is better than previous. Here are a few reasons, and I mention this in a constructive manner.

1) There are a lot of rapid camera tilts. This is amplified by the fact that your footage is accelerated on a few occasions. Those quick tilts render that footage useless from a commercial standpoint. One way you can address this is by changing your tilt wheel settings to reduce the sensitivity. I usually have mine at 30% or 40% which smoothens out the movement.

2) The subject is not really 'exotic'. I like the church, landscapes, lake, but then we also have a lot of highway shots that really don't add much value aside from filling time. Probably better to focus on a topic and stick to footage related to that topic. This way one can identify a form of story line. Currently, it's hard to see what the story is about.

Just some pointers to help with the quality of the output. No to be taken as criticism, but rather as constructive comments.

Cheers

Patrice
Thank you for the tips. If I have time I will try and get that done but I do t think I will before the competition closes

Actually I would say the UK government has cut out people with their rules.
Not to worry, in the end this is all for good fun. If the winner is from the UK, we will figure out a way to recognize the people appropriately, all within the bounds of regulations.

Cheers

Patrice

The commercial benefit thing, as I understand it, could so broadly be interpreted, that simply submitting to Facebook or YouTube could be considered commercial benefit, and be breaking the law. As content on any Social Platform benefits the platform it's self by providing content that can be monetized. Maybe we could file a class action suit against YT so they can not show commercials or ads on submitted aerial footage because it pushes us out of our legal bounds... Yeah, that will work...
That's a popular myth but not true.
The CAA is concerned with aviation safety and commercial flying.
They couldn't care less if you want to share the photos and video you've made on Facebook or Youtube.

...so, in order to win a profession piece of equipment that records in 4k, I need to (as a professional) submit a professional quality video that will be rejected unless it's recorded in 4k.

I'm not a professional, I would need to be in order to enter this competition. I only have a P3A which records only in 2.7k, so I'm stuffed.

Look, a competition like this only insults those who you deem unworthy of entering, I for one now feel under privileged and inferior.

Also, If I had what it takes to enter this competition, why would I need to win a Mavic? I'd probably already have one or have no need for one.

Reactions: thebeline
...so, in order to win a profession piece of equipment that records in 4k, I need to (as a professional) submit a professional quality video that will be rejected unless it's recorded in 4k.

I'm not a professional, I would need to be in order to enter this competition. I only have a P3A which records only in 2.7k, so I'm stuffed.

Look, a competition like this only insults those who you deem unworthy of entering, I for one now feel under privileged and inferior.

Also, If I had what it takes to enter this competition, why would I need to win a Mavic? I'd probably already have one or have no need for one.
If you re-read the thread it clearly states that on this occasion the rules have been changed. Also I use up scaling firmware like wonder share filmora which upscaled my P3A videos into 4K so it can be done

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub