Contacted by FAA !

He called them in direct response to their post. That's all that was necessary to complete the link. :cool:

Yes I called them but never revealed who I was or my registration number.

But listen to this... this same FAA guy has now messaged a few people I know on Facebook trying to figure out who I am. He is literally sending FB messages to anyone that may have liked or commented on my videos and asking them if they know who I am. These people already sent me letters in the mail so apparently this guy didn't get the memo that they already identified me.

The way I see it, I already spoke with these people and heard what they had to say. I explained myself and they explained themselves. They mailed me a letter so case closed. I am not going to entertain any more messages on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes I called them but never revealed who I was or my registration number.

But listen to this... this same FAA guy has now messaged a few people I know on Facebook trying to figure out who I am. He is literally sending FB messages to anyone that may have liked or commented on my videos and asking them if they know who I am. These people already sent me letters in the mail so apparently this guy didn't get the memo that they already identified me.

The way I see it, I already spoke with these people and heard what they had to say. I explained myself and they explained themselves. They mailed me a letter so case closed. I am not going to entertain any more messages on Facebook.

Unfortunately, they may not see the case as closed. There is no "double jeopardy" which applies that legally prevents them from deciding to move forward on a case that they previously had decided only deserved an informational letter, especially if they have new evidence, even if it only came from you. They may be actively still gathering new evidence. So, how do you think they identified you, to send you a letter, if not from something you said during the call, or by tracing your call? Did you call an FAA 800 number or a local prefix number? All incoming 800 numbers reveal the caller's number automatically to the recipient. You cannot block it.

Unfortunately, they may not see the case as closed. There is no "double jeopardy" which applies that legally prevents them from deciding to move forward on a case that they previously had decided only deserved an informational letter, especially if they have new evidence, even if it only came from you. They may be actively still gathering new evidence. So, how do you think they identified you, to send you a letter, if not from something you said during the call, or by tracing your call? Did you call an FAA 800 number or a local prefix number? All incoming 800 numbers reveal the caller's number automatically to the recipient. You cannot block it.

I say case closed because that's exactly what they told me. They said they want to send a letter and close the case. Letter received. I've educated who knows how many people so im sure they're happy.

Reactions: Falcon900
I say case closed because that's exactly what they told me. They said they want to send a letter and close the case. Letter received. I've educated who knows how many people so im sure they're happy.

So how do you think they got your name and address?

I wouldn't be surprised if FB supplies your ISP an any info to whatever agency asks for it. Too many kids get caught up in FB posting something they shouldn't or a threat and getting caught even though they use an alias on FB. Getting to be a weekly occurrence around here on the TV news it seems, parents too.

Was a bummer for you drone guy but it helped a lot of us out. I flew yesterday in nh and used special caution because I was near the Appalachian trail and that's a big no-no. Without your post I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Thanks (Appalachian trail is about 10 yards wide and a 2160 miles long and the national parks claim it so you can't even fly over it)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Was a bummer for you drone guy but it helped a lot of us out. I flew yesterday in nh and used special caution because I was near the Appalachian trail and that's a big no-no. Without your post I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Thanks (Appalachian trail is about 10 yards wide and a 2160 miles long and the national parks claim it so you can't even fly over it)

My understanding is you can fly over national parks, you just can't takeoff or land on n. park property.

NoCo Drones

That's what I thought too. Then I read an article from a nh reporter who said for the AT you need to land then walk across then fly again. So I'm not sure.

ppalachian Trail: No fly. The National Park Service controls the Appalachian National Scenic Trail that cuts through New Hampshire on its way between Maine and Georgia. “There is now this stretch of land cutting across NH that you cannot fly a drone over,” Brooks says. “It’s only a couple hundred feet wide in most places. So you have to fly [your drone], stop, carry it across the trail, and then take it off again.”

New Hampshire public radio

No it was a local number in my area. I verified it online first and the name and number were listed on FAA website.

They can only pursue those they can catch. If they are unsuccessful in getting you to respond to social media posts, they likely will not pursue the matter further, especially where education was the sole goal, even if your overzealous guy did! They could just as easily have posted that what you were doing was prohibited, without actually finding out who you were to send you a letter.

I am just passing along the sage legal advice from 20 year FAA prosecutors who now work on the other side. Don't respond to informal phishing requests on social media. You are under no legal obligation to do so, and anything you say can and will be used against you! Silence is golden! If they contact you through legal channels by mail, or in person, then invoke your right to silence and contact a drone attorney. Don't incriminate yourself! That is how 95% of cases are proven---incriminating statements by the pilot! :eek: It's no different than the traffic cop, whose first question to you is, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" The only correct answer to that question is, "No." :rolleyes: Like the dumb guy in the milk commercial, never volunteer, "Is this about my time in prison?" ;) "No, it's about the fact that you drank the last of the milk!" :p "Oh! Ooops!" :oops:

Person may be legit but this is not the way to contact people on forums. If he is legit, he should express his concern on forum and you can correct the situation. No one is breaking the rules intentionally. We should definitely know the issues collectively. My two cents

I am not sure if you should pass your information to a stranger.

I am always very careful to avoid flying in any NFZ and use DJI and Hover prior to any flight.
Last weekend I also downloaded the free App from the FAA, B4UFly and on running the app was very surprised to find that I am within 3 miles of an airport. Knowing that the nearest airport was a good 6-7 miles away
( Hunter Army AFB) I could not understand what they were calling an airport. Turns out that my local Hospital (Memorial Hospital) has an emergency helicopter landing pad 3 miles away and is considered an airport.
Local pilots don't know about this and its not on the latest air-map? Now according to FAA regulations I must contact the "control tower" and advise them of my flight (The hospital does not have a control tower and coordinates incoming flights directly with the emergency room, who look out the window and see if anyone is parked on the landing H spot!
The whole thing appears to be bureaucratic gibberish as the flights are totally random and approach directly to the landing pad and would have to take a dog leg over the sea to overfly my home. If the hospital landing pad is now an airport I wonder just how many drones are flying in restricted airspace and have to contact the "tower" to verify a flight plan ( the nurse I spoke with wanted to know if I would be transporting casualties)
Comments please!!

Sorry, but that is ridiculous, LOL! You should say yes, your transporting hamsters in need of urgent care. :)

Reactions: dgd3
I would think any place with a helipad would be a heliport, not an Airport. I would not blindly believe what they are saying. Needs more research. You are exactly right. Who are you going to call?

Don't quote me but I would bet one of my kidneys that 99.999% of UAS flights occur without anyone contacting the tower. My friend is "Mr. Safety" and does everything by the book, he only called one time before flying his UAS.

But the interesting thing here is that they said I was not breaking any FAA rules, I was breaking the national parks rules is how I understood it. It amazes me that we can drive our cars, walk all over the ground and everything else in national parks and nothing is said but if you fly a remote control helicopter there it's a problem. The Blue Ridge Parkway is 469 miles and goes through several areas where people live and small towns. So I really don't see how the entire Parkway is regulated as a national Park. I could literally exit off of the Parkway and be on a separate highway 5 feet away and that would be legal to fly there? I have never one time seen a sign anywhere on the parkway about flying drones nor do I see anything about national parks on most of it.

Did you express these points to the FAA guys when you talked to them? or in the letter they want you to write? What was their response?

ppalachian Trail: No fly. The National Park Service controls the Appalachian National Scenic Trail that cuts through New Hampshire on its way between Maine and Georgia. “There is now this stretch of land cutting across NH that you cannot fly a drone over,” Brooks says. “It’s only a couple hundred feet wide in most places. So you have to fly [your drone], stop, carry it across the trail, and then take it off again.”

I

CAVEAT: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I've read many places that no one can regulate the national airspace EXCEPT the FAA - that includes the National Park Service. The NPS CAN regulate what happens on its land. So if there's a thin strip of land all you'd need to do is take off and land somewhere else. Otherwise you could fly over it all you want. Again - not a lawyer, and if someone authoritatively knows different please share.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4