Thread closed

gmbn.inc said:
Apparently someone took offence to a comment I posted in regards to this thread which resulted in a 'board warning' being issued to me.... My most humble apologies whoever you are. No malice was intended by the sarcastic nature of my comment. Strange that it contained no expletives of any kind, yet was somehow found offensive. It's stranger still that numerous members' frequent use of the 'F' and 'C' words go unnoticed...

I got one too but in my case I was using very colourful language, something I wont be repeating. So I didn't go unnoticed in fairness ;)

Used my Phantom to count livestock morning and night. Out of action at the min because of faulty gps module, which is annoying cos it saved a hell of a lot of time.

Would love to experiment with a mini sprayer and ground station for spot spraying on small farms. Would need a bigger bird, but would be interesting.

Also thought that a heavy lift machine that could somehow target lock onto a feed trough in a field would be a great idea. Again this would be suitable for small scale lazy farming :)

Damien.

I am a retired Police Officer. Every time I fly I comment about how I could have used this on the "Beat". One of these units fills the all important gap of helicopter coverage immediately following critical incidents. Not just drug interdiction or crowd control think checking roof tops, traffic control after accidents, area scans for additional victims,,, etc.

http://youtu.be/j--wblVhBqY

Sort of like this purpose then. I was playing when I first got it so was flying it in a field, found it funny how I took off next to a bad wet area, I knew about the one maybe 10-15 ft away but after seeing the video I didn't realize there were more wet areas further out in what I think is wheat grass.
I did clip the video as it was just to show a point, course this field owner I wont be helping, hes a jerkoff. :roll:

But I could see using the quad for that type of work, on the peninsula we have many large (over 500 acres) fields & short of using the spraying planes who really go too fast to really look at the field, it could fulfill a purpose. Hmmm, much more fun then doing real estate videography. :lol:

Interesting HWB,
If I remember right you are somewhere out in the Midwest so you have more elevation than we do here for the most part, the southern end of the Delmarva peninsula is pretty flat compared to say upstate DE like Wilmington. I was really surprised by the large wet area further out in the field that was not noticeable from the ground & we didn't want to walk out into the crop.

And the funny part is that video was taken before we got a few massive flooding storms in the area, I've had to go past quite a few fields that could be used for cranberry bogs or rice paddies they are/were so flooded. We actually had a couple roads last week shut down because of the running water from one field to a drainage area/ditch.
In a way I really want another massive storm to come through so I can get some video afterwards along with pictures, I have a few ideas in mind for usage. ;)

Hi everyone,

I've been messing with an old Canon a490 with the infrared filter removed to experiment with NDVI images.

http://publiclab.org/wiki/near-infrared-camera

This is what I've been able to achieve so far from a waterlogged wheat crop.

Attachments

• test 1.JPG
    test 1.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 512
SethOF said:
Regular autonomous inspection of cropland using waypoints.

As a volunteer for our local Land Trust I'm using the iPad version of the Ground Station on a Phantom 1.5 to document the restoration of a salmon stream. I'll photograph the creation of the stream later this summer and then do flyovers at least 4 times a year to monitor vegetation growth, erosion, beaver activity, etc.

For other land trust properties I'll program waypoint flights around the boundaries and basically do inspection flights. This will include photographing a very secluded forest slope where a theft of $40,000 in timber has occurred.

I've found that I'm not particularly interested in flying the Phantom for its own sake. It's fun but using the quad more purposefully has been tremendously satisfying -- and really helps me justify the $$ I'm putting into this! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik