Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Contacted by DJI: Ag use for drones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hwb2107, Jun 19, 2014.

1. hwb2107

Folks,

I’ve been contacted by DJI because they want to learn more about agricultural applications for their products. Obviously there are a lot of uses for the industry.

Is anyone else on here using DJI drones to benefit farmers or ranchers, and if so, which model(s) and how?

So far, my use has been limited to raising broad awareness of the work we do as farmers:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlvqwuedVQ4[/youtube]

And for surveying post-storm farm damage:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XtPdhbKQSI[/youtube]

Appreciate any feedback.

2. robby666111

Hi have used ground station to program a course across a farm to check all the water troughs. Common problem is animals damaging the ball **** causing the trough to overflow and flood the surrounding area. Farmers know that they have a problem when the pumps are running continuously, and it is a real drag driving/walking around the farm to find the culprit.
    Cheers,
    Rob.

3. Mal_PV2_Ireland

You have been contacted by dji to learn about farming???
    There is already a fully operational industry in uav flying with Flir cameras for the past few years. I think dji contacted the wrong farmer?

4. hwb2107

Rob,

Thanks so much for the feedback - that's helpful to hear. Great suggestion on how to save time and effort in a direct application. Hopefully we'll have ground station support for the P2V+ soon.

5. hwb2107

I think they are trying to look beyond the IR applications, which have a fairly narrow value, and for uses that are creative and not yet utilized.

6. Mal_PV2_Ireland

I think you are spoofing. Please post the letter that dji sent you. Why would they ask your expertise? And then with your expertise which is private confidential tests would you not know and ask our dumbasses?

7. Mal_PV2_Ireland

Make a video of you sheep hearding, that'll blow their socks off.

8. hwb2107

You're a funny guy. Thanks for the laugh.

9. Mal_PV2_Ireland

I dont mean to be :cool:

10. maher

By the way, your videos are greats!

Maher

11. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Agricultural use of drones is expected to be huge. Crop dusting, yield, outbreaks, etc. Already happening in limited cases outside the US.

12. hwb2107

Thanks Maher!! Very much appreciate the comment.

13. hwb2107

Contacted by NASA? Very cool, but I wouldn't quite put DJI in that same category. Also, I think NASA's ag applications are mostly Earth focused right now, not the moon: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stati ... ts/81.html

14. SilentAV8R

This will be an interesting thread to watch. The Phantom Vision platform has a lot to offer for a wide variety of uses beyond real estate photography.

15. JWarren

I live in a heavily Ag area, from cattle to corn, cotton, maze and wheat. Some suggestions I've been getting is to do overhead shots of crops seeing which sections might need more water if they are doing wet-land farming and overall wellness of different sections. Finding lost live-stock has even been another recommendation.

Regards,
    J.

16. swtc

Probably far from farming, per se, but hog eradication is a very real need on large west Texas ranches - I've been playing with the idea of box-grid aerial searching for damaged root/plant areas to find pig-patterns so we can more effectively hunt them later (using thermal scopes and i2 optics). Record video over acres at a time, then view in fast-motion to find feeding/water routes.

I suspect when I finally save up and buy my own (hey, someone should remind my wife that my birthday is this month...) my buddies and I, who have a big annual pig slaying get together each March, will probably at least be making some fun hog hunting videos that incorporate drone footage.

BTW, I saw your video when you posted it a few weeks ago - I thought your first video was really well produced and executed with a purpose: a nice break from the zillions of vids of phantoms just going up and doing nothing. :)

17. hwb2107

Thanks J. Agreed that those are good uses. If combined with a variable rate center pivot irrigation system, that would be incredibly useful to large scale farmers.

18. hwb2107

Interesting ideas! Thankfully we don't have wild pig problems in my part of Nebraska, so I would have never thought of that.

To that point though, we had a raccoon that nested out in the middle of our corn field two years ago. Was there all season and we didn't know it, and ended up damaging more than $1,000 worth of crop. Had we known early on, we could have prevented the loss. (and nearly paid for the Phantom 2V+!)

Thank so much for your comments on my first video, and for sharing your thoughts.

19. illiceman11

I farm/We have two units.The last one is a Plus.Great units,alot of uses on the farm.The problem is service.I don,t have a lot of time to keep them in the air.A great well thought of product that can be used in agri.Just no service. :x

20. SethOF

Regular autonomous inspection of cropland using waypoints.