Constant Compass/GPS Errors and Weak Signal on P3S

Reaction score
I was out flying yesterday and noticed I was constantly getting a weak signal error and miscellaneous compass/gps errors. I bought the P3S within the last month and that was my 3rd time out with it. I made sure to calibrate the Compass before hand, I had already previously calibrated my IMU so I didnt do that on this flight. The P3S never completed disconnected, I always had a great connection to the live view from it and it was picking up my controller movements perfectly fine Im just wondering whats up with all of these errors and interruptions? Alot of times it would kick me out of GPS then seemed to reconnect to GPS shortly after. Also I have not touched the firmware yet as I am flying fine and I dont know what version I have (It says Unknown) so I figured if it aint broke dont try to fix it lol. I can upload logs if that helps as well, I never have looked at the logs though could anyone explain how I can access these? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Did you mean "calibrate the compass" rather than GPS?

Kinda thought so but just wanted to make sure.
Thanks!

Doesn't the P3S use wifi? IF it does, maybe you were in an area that had alot of wifi interference or a microwave oven? They run at the same frequency, 2.45Ghz.
Of course, for that to happen you have to be somewhat close to the over, like around 50'.
I know my wifi cameras get knocked out when I nuke a cup of coffee or dinner.

Yes it does use wifi. I was in a small field behind a bunch of houses so I believe this is my problem... is this a common issue with Phantoms?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If there are houses/trees between you and the drone this will effect the signal. However I do often get the same when there are no obstructions around. Signal goes for a second or two then returns. I've also noticed this when watching youtube vids, so think it could be common & nothing to worry about

If there are houses/trees between you and the drone this will effect the signal. However I do often get the same when there are no obstructions around. Signal goes for a second or two then returns. I've also noticed this when watching youtube vids, so think it could be common & nothing to worry about

Thanks for the input this is my train of thought as well. Like I said nothing major happened just thought it was odd. Does any ones camera/gimbal ever tilt to the side? For whatever reason yesterday mine was tilted so I had to land and auto calibrate the gimbal. After that it did it one more time while I was in the air but I started to bring it back down and in the process it evened itself out. It wasnt very windy yesterday but it could of been worse at higher altitude. Any one else have this problem?

Yes, my gimbal tilts all the time, it's very weird. And I also have the P3S and get the same gps errors, I'm very tempted to send it back bc I have yet to find an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes, my gimbal tilts all the time, it's very weird. And I also have the P3S and get the same gps errors, I'm very tempted to send it back bc I have yet to find an answer.

Some recommend doing a gimbal calibration immediately after a full IMU calibration (on a perfectly flat surface) as a method to correct a tilted horizon, so you might want to try that. Be also aware that you can manually level the camera directly from the DJI GO app, in the camera settings.

Yeah I have also read that doing a gimbal calibration straight after an imu calibration fixes that, but I have tried that, and the gimbal still tilts when I get compass errors.

Sent from my Letv X500 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It was weird because mine has only done it twice and it was only on the third flight.. it never did it once before. I took off, got about 20 ft up and realized my gimbal was tilted so I came back down and reset it. It came back on and was back to normal. Then I went up and was flying for about 10-15 minutes and out of no where the gimbal decides to tilt again mid flight. I was watching the live view and as soon as it tilted my heart dropped thinking my drone was flying out of the sky!! But it was all good nothing actually happened just the tilt again lol it makes me wonder though why would I be having this issue when I didnt have it my last 2 flight...

I have not flown equipment that relies on WiFi as much as the Phantom does. My experience is with RF in the past. I'm waiting on my Phantom 3 std in shipping. But in my line of work I understand how the technology works and how it can effect signals. I plan on using a WiFi scanner app on my phone to scan the area that I plan to fly. This will allow me to at least see how many local routers are within the range that might affect my flight.

This won't help with all interference but is still a good precaution to take. Another thing to watch for is telecom, and internet providers are using WiFi repeaters on telephone poles to boost or provide hotspots in remote areas. So don't just assume that if you're flying in an open field that you are safe. Look for antennas on poles or buildings that might put out interference.

I have not flown equipment that relies on WiFi as much as the Phantom does. My experience is with RF in the past. I'm waiting on my Phantom 3 std in shipping. But in my line of work I understand how the technology works and how it can effect signals. I plan on using a WiFi scanner app on my phone to scan the area that I plan to fly. This will allow me to at least see how many local routers are within the range that might affect my flight.

This won't help with all interference but is still a good precaution to take. Another thing to watch for is telecom, and internet providers are using WiFi repeaters on telephone poles to boost or provide hotspots in remote areas. So don't just assume that if you're flying in an open field that you are safe. Look for antennas on poles or buildings that might put out interference.

Thats a great tip, didnt know there were apps that can do that. What app in particular are you planning on using?

Thats a great tip, didnt know there were apps that can do that. What app in particular are you planning on using?

There are so much available but WiFi Analyzer from farproc gives pretty good info. I have Android so I don't know if its available on iPhone. But look up WiFi scanner or WiFi analyser and I'm sure you will find something that will work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen