Considering upgrading FC40 to GoPro, but wait..?!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

OK! I've had my phantom fc40 for about a week now, and I am not really pleased with the video quality of the FC40-camera. I have been considering to replace it with a GoProHero3+, and one thing worries me, and I can not find a topic on this subject anywhere! :-(

With the FC40, I can see what the Phantom sees through my iphone-app (DJI FC40 -app).
If I replace the fc40-cam with a Hero3, will I be able to see what the Hero3-cam sees (aim the camera?), through my iphone for example??

I hope I didn't write this question too complicated :-/

HEEEELP!!

The Gopro app does not permit you to see a live preview while filming, however what keeps you from using the FC40 camera for FPV while filming with the Gopro?

Extending the range with an Amped SR10000 repeater, you can get a god 1600-2000 feet coverage with that setup.

YOu can see while you record on the GoPro Hero3+ Black (I have one) but it's through WiFi only and totally not recommended for use while flying.

In other words, using the GoPro for FPV transmission is not a good or viable solution.

ericdes said:
The Gopro app does not permit you to see a live preview while filming, however what keeps you from using the FC40 camera for FPV while filming with the Gopro?

Extending the range with an Amped SR10000 repeater, you can get a god 1600-2000 feet coverage with that setup.

uhm...? how exactly would I mount the gopro on the Phantom if the FC40-cam is already mounted??

antticato said:
Hi everyone!

OK! I've had my phantom fc40 for about a week now, and I am not really pleased with the video quality of the FC40-camera. I have been considering to replace it with a GoProHero3+, and one thing worries me, and I can not find a topic on this subject anywhere! :-(

With the FC40, I can see what the Phantom sees through my iphone-app (DJI FC40 -app).
If I replace the fc40-cam with a Hero3, will I be able to see what the Hero3-cam sees (aim the camera?), through my iphone for example??

I hope I didn't write this question too complicated :-/

HEEEELP!!

I have just gone from the FC40 camera to a GoProHero 3+silver. I am no expert, but flying around the back yard, the filming and still photos are major improvement. I am getting FPV on my Samsung Note3, (via GoPro free app) with perhaps 1/2 sec. lag. Not sure how the range will compare, but have purchased the Tenda 150M Mini. Once I figure how to wire the power, I expect to get good range. I believe that the problem about using the camera's wifi, is negated due to the non-conflict with the FC40's 5.8 ghz control freq. (as opposed to other Phantom's 2.4 ghz. freq., which would conflict with the camera.) Again, I am a newbie to this hobby, but that is my conclusion.
I purchased the GoPro from http://www.rei.com for their current promo 20% off (plus membership, $20., lifetime) So far, very happy.
By the way, I am using this with the 'goodluckbuy' gimbal.

My Hero 3+ Black edition has a good amount of lag through wifi. The FC40 camera has much less lag, and you can connect a repeater to extend the range. Apparently the gopro won't permit this but I will test this weekend.

Mount the gopro on a gimbal, and mount the FC40 camera on the battery door. It works fine.

The lag of the gopro makes real FPV impossible. You can get away with it with the FC40 camera.

ericdes said:
Mount the gopro on a gimbal, and mount the FC40 camera on the battery door. It works fine..

How exactly do you mean to mount it on the battery door?? :?: :?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20