Considering Phantom with H3-2D GoPro

Reaction score
I am considering buying a Phantom with H3-2D GoPro. I was disappointed with the image quality provided on the Vision+. I am looking for input on this type of setup vs the Vision+.

What exactly do you need to buy in order to have FPV flying?

How much more complicated is the setup and use?

Is the bump in image quality worth the lose of convenience of integrated FPV?

Is there an app to show flight telemetry? What about starting/stopping GoPro recording?

Thanks in advance!

proximo said:
I am considering buying a Phantom with H3-2D GoPro. I was disappointed with the image quality provided on the Vision+. I am looking for input on this type of setup vs the Vision+.

What exactly do you need to buy in order to have FPV flying?

How much more complicated is the setup and use?

Is the bump in image quality worth the lose of convenience of integrated FPV?

Is there an app to show flight telemetry? What about starting/stopping GoPro recording?

Thanks in advance!

going to give my perspective on these, in order:

what exactly? somewhere in the area of 3-400 $ USD of equipment minimum. a FPV transmitter for the Phantom, some sort of receiver either a LCD screen or goggles, some good antennas and perhaps other minor peripherals like a neck strap and mounting bracket for your RC if you go the LCD screen route. There are entire kits available from vendors, or you can build yourself if you halfway know what you are doing. there's a LOT of discussions on this forum about this topic. You can get a LCD receiver for around $160 and goggles are anywhere from 400 to 700.

how much more complicated? a little. depends how comfortable with soldering you are. this youtube guide has helped many of us including me and gives you a good idea of what the install involves. If you understand basic cabling and can handle a few small solders and heat shrink wrap (I used a lighter not even a heat gun) you'll be fine. NOTE: if you go with the official DJI equipment for the transmitter (AVL58) then there is a "FPV hub" you can buy to avoid soldering... but where's the fun in that? :)

is bump worth it? depends on the above. If you're comfortable with the soldering and install then yes, now you have a gopro you can use for anything. The P2-Vision camera is worthless to you without the Phantom, no? also theoretically the range you can get from a standalone FPV system is much more than you can get with the Vision models sending to a mobile phone I think.

App to show telemetry? No it's not an app. You want the device called an iOSD Mini ($80 USD) and it's integrated during the install as mentioned in the above video. the iOSD overlays telemetry on the video feed that is broadcast from the phantom and therefore shows on your display.

start/stop gopro during flight? no. the Phantom 2 non-vision's remote control operates on the same frequencies as wifi (it's not wifi, just same frequency) therefore you cannot have the gopro's wifi turned on. you must hit record manually, then take off/fly/etc and edit out the boring parts later.

hope that helps. look around the forum there are tons of topics on this exact subject

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20