Consider this before buying a vision plus

Arguing over the safety of hand-landing is silly.

It obviously not the safest way to do it from the operator's perspective.

People enjoy calculated risks.

But if you must do it, be sure to be upwind of the vehicle.

I hand catch all the time. I've had a few tip overs when landing on the ground as the motors came to a rest at different speeds. Two broken props later - now I stand upwind of the craft, hover at about 7-8 feet and walk over and grab it by the lower skid. Easy - no risk of damage the props are spinning about two feet above me so if it does drift it will pass overhead safely.

CBS

So moderators when i respond to someone who says im insane that message is deleted, but its ok for another op to make that comment about me. Is that how it works

Everybody should use proper language, lets respect each other opinion like adults without getting upset.

Geert.

BlackTracer said:
Dirty Bird said:
abacus01 said:
Why would you recommend hand catching. I guess you havent seen the video of a guy trying to do this and severely cutting up his arm where he needed lots of sutures. Just learn to land it correctly dont attempt to hand catch under any circumstances. Crazy

Dirty Bird can you give me a primer on hand landing? I have not been able to bring myself to do it even though I can have it hover right above my outstretched right arm. Landing on the ground has worked for me up to now. When you grab it does it act as if it is on the ground? Such as the motors return to idle. Then a left stick back and hold until they shut off.
This video pretty much shows how it is done. Nothing to it, but I would be proficient with controlling your Phantom before attempting it. Not something you should do on the first day with your new quad, especially if you have no experience with r/c in the past.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21LrlYWH_o

I wondered about this... maybe I'll remove the gimble and camera until I'm more confident, but I like having the FPV in a crunch.

Dirty Bird said:
I just bring her down to perhaps 6-7' (stay above yourself), reach up & firmly grasp the BOTTOM of one of the landing skids with my left hand, and then hold the left stick all the way down until the motors shut off.

Did u mean right hand???

Thanks to you all for your posts. For the last two months I have been trying to decide if I want to take the plunge into buying a DJI Phanton, and at some point I had been waffling between the Vision 2 and Vision 2 Plus. I had almost decided on the extra expense of the Vision 2 Plus but then I read this thread. I'm glad I did. I think now I will back down to the Vision 2 and if I want to set up a different camera system on it at some point, I will do so.

Off to davesmotors now for my 3 week late birthday present.

BigTulsa said:
Thanks to you all for your posts. For the last two months I have been trying to decide if I want to take the plunge into buying a DJI Phanton, and at some point I had been waffling between the Vision 2 and Vision 2 Plus. I had almost decided on the extra expense of the Vision 2 Plus but then I read this thread. I'm glad I did. I think now I will back down to the Vision 2 and if I want to set up a different camera system on it at some point, I will do so.

Off to davesmotors now for my 3 week late birthday present.
or look on ebay should get a better deal on some lightly used items there ;)

Cant land a Phantom .... ??? need to hand catch them ??? ... LOL ..... now I get why they all crash .... people can't even cover the basics like landing properly ...... :roll:

GMANNZ said:
Cant land a Phantom .... ??? need to hand catch them ??? ... LOL ..... now I get why they all crash .... people can't even cover the basics like landing properly ...... :roll:

It's not always a matter of "can't" but more a matter of shouldn't. Sandy beach, tall grass, etc. pose hazards that just aren't a problem if you just grab a-hold of it in the air, a very simple maneuver. :cool:

PhilAnderson said:
GMANNZ said:

It's not always a matter of "can't" but more a matter of shouldn't. Sandy beach, tall grass, etc. pose hazards that just aren't a problem if you just grab a-hold of it in the air, a very simple maneuver. :cool:

Agreed. The Phantom's are just too susceptible to tip-overs, and things can sometimes get dicey when just a few inches above ground when you encounter prop-wash.
since my Tarot gimbal essentially touches the ground on my Phantom, I prefer to hand-catch now, and must say, it's not as difficult or dangerous as one imagines

I never thought about gimbal/camera damage and repair that Vision+ owners might encounter, but guess that's one more reason to consider a regular Phantom 2 with GoPro options.

dannytroy said:
They also might offer a false sense of security to some, and some might feel it's ok to fly indoors with the prop guards on. I don't think so. In case you haven't seen this video, the prop guards were no help at all for this guy......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc

I personally think, the guy in the video felt he was more secure to do a hand catch
because he had prop guards on,
BUT....from looking at that video he DID NOT have the string between the guards!

end of.

That video is more a warning against carbon fibre props than it is against hand catching imho. As long as it is in a stable hover and at the right height to be able to grab it from below there's little risk to it. And you shouldn't do it hastily/casually but always very deliberate.

Personally I have only done it perhaps twice just to try it. Otherwise I have no need for it. I do fly with prop guards though and do not (yet) have an expensive gimbal/camera under my FC40. When that changes I might find more situations where it could be the preferred method.

In reading this thread I would not advice to buy a Vision at all. If you want to learn flying than just buy a regular Phantom 2 without any camera. Learn to fly the **** thing. Crash it, repair it, don't care. Then, after lots of flying hours, buy a Zenmuse and GoPro and use your own Phantom 2 to make stunning video's. Better than selling a Vision and buying a Vision+ I think IMHO... :cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers