Consider AMA membership !

Not only does he have skills, he is extremely helpful with design and implementation of v-tails. He da man! :lol:

PF

The AMA is apparently contemplating their future regards the "sUAS" world, and is presently conducting a poll on the interests of present and future participants. Just go to their web site (http://www.modelaircraft.org/)and you'll see a pic of a Phantom that links to the survey. You could win a Phantom. Anyone can take the survey though I expect their interests are primarily in the US. I didn't read the contest rules so I don't know who's eligible to win.

You can take the survey without giving any personal info but, of course, to be in the contest you have to give a name and email address.

I was member 30+ years ago when I flew fixed wing RC, and recently rejoined.

BTW - their insurance kicks in after any other you may have is exhausted. They've been around since 1936 and I personally like the idea of being associated with an organization that has some history and some credibility. Your mileage may very.

The only thing good about the AMA in my opinion, is when they are the voice of rights and fairness for the Rc community to the government. But IF they were to try and slip in with the government to get AMA membership as a requirement to own or operate, that would be a problem. Usually when these things get too big, this can and does happen. Other than that they offer nothing I can see.

Once again I may be shooting here but they do see a sudden and huge surge of interest and sales of these now easy to fly aerial hobbies. $$$$$$$$$$$

I just joined, but note that the AMA safety fules prohibit hand-catch landings:
Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft
in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual

garygid said:
Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft
in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual

Wow... I'm considering joining, but that seems a bit of an unnecessary arbitrary rule... no?

Although... unless you screw up and slash off a finger or two, who's to know? Just use an alternative health care provider and LIE!!! :lol:

-slinger

I just purchased a 1 Million dollar umbrella liability policy on top of my Home Owner's insurance policy for a total premium of twenty-four dollars a year! I first confirmed with my insurer (USAA) that there were no exclusions for R/C flying, drones, UAV's, etc and then sent the policy to my attorney to review. He confirms that the way it's written, I'm fully protected, anywhere and anytime as long as I'm not flying commercially. Pretty good piece of mind for 24 bucks :)

LG

lgeist said:
I just purchased a 1 Million dollar umbrella liability policy on top of my Home Owner's insurance policy for a total premium of twenty-four dollars a year! I first confirmed with my insurer (USAA) that there were no exclusions for R/C flying, drones, UAV's, etc and then sent the policy to my attorney to review. He confirms that the way it's written, I'm fully protected, anywhere and anytime as long as I'm not flying commercially. Pretty good piece of mind for 24 bucks :)

LG

Yeah... Okay. That did it for me. Thanks LG...

-slinger

Nvr2fst said:
Pay somebody to put restrictions on me? No way. A lot of guys at fields don't like Helis or quads. I considered it years ago with my helis but the plane guys were heliphobes and total jerks. I am not paying anybody to tell me what I can and can not do.

In Nashville we have a great relationship between plane and heli guys.

garygid said:

Perhaps this is a safety consideration from the time before technology provided us with extremely stable, hover capable aircraft. I wouldn't be surprised if it originated from an incident where someone tried "catching" a fixed wing, prop driven plane ... you know somebody tried it. Still, it's easy enough to see how a safety oriented organization would want to discourage folks from sticking their hands into the vicinity of rotating props. You know what happened to the gal who backed into an airplane prop - disaster!

Nvr2fst said:
Pay somebody to put restrictions on me? No way. A lot of guys at fields don't like Helis or quads. I considered it years ago with my helis but the plane guys were heliphobes and total jerks. I am not paying anybody to tell me what I can and can not do.

Actually, if you pay taxes, you may be doing just that when the government decides they need to legislate restrictions. It's just a guess, but one might have a better chance of having their voice heard by AMA than by their elected representative.

I was just looking through the AMA documents. Document 550 (referenced on the application) requires a pilot flying FPV to have an experienced AMA pilot as a spotter at all times.

I'm afraid that leaves me out. . .

• 3. OPERATIONS – REQUIREMENTS – LIMITATIONS:
    a) FPV novice pilots undergoing training at low altitude must use a buddy-box system with
    an FPV spotter, or must go to a safer altitude if no buddy-box system is used.
    b) All FPV flights require an AMA FPV pilot to have an AMA FPV spotter next to him/her
    maintaining VLOS with the FPV aircraft throughout its flight.
    c) The FPV pilot must brief the FPV spotter on the FPV spotter’s duties, communications and
    hand-over control procedures before FPV flight.
    d) The AMA FPV spotter must communicate with the FPV pilot to ensure the FPV
    aircraft remains within VLOS, warning the FPV pilot of approaching aircraft, and
    when avoidance techniques are necessary.
    e) During an FPV flight, the FPV spotter must be prepared to acquire the transmitter/control
    from the FPV pilot and assume VLOS control of the model aircraft at any time safe
    operation of the flight is in question.
    f) If an FPV pilot experiences a safety issue that does not appear to be a brief glitch, they
    must abandon FPV mode and fly VLOS.
    g) Before the initial FPV flight of an FPV model aircraft and/or after any changes or repairs to
    essential flight systems, the FPV model aircraft must have an R/C test flight by
    conventional VLOS.
    h) FPV model aircraft must use frequencies approved by the FCC for both the RC system and
    the wireless video system. Pilots must meet applicable FCC licensing requirements if they
    choose to operate the RC flight control system or the wireless video system on Amateur
    Band frequencies.
    i) AMA FPV pilots must first be capable of flying their FPV model aircraft manually
    before utilizing FPV flight.

Don't know how they view the Vision in the US, but in the UK there is an exemption to the Air Navigation Order (which is law) to allow FPV provided there is another person acting as a spotter and maintaining unaided visual contact with the aircraft at the same time. However I've had word from the head of UKFPV.org (who brokered the exemption with the CAA) that flying a Vision in its stock configuration using a smart device only wouldn't count as FPV flying for the purposes of the legislation. Strap goggles on and go fully immersive, however, and you're into that territory. The worry with immersive FPV is the inability to keep a full lookout for other air traffic and the narrow field of view means spatial awareness can be compromised and the risk of collision increased. If you just need to look up from your phone to be able to see what's going on then that's not such a risk.

You might find that the AMA has a similar point of view about flying with a smartphone versus immersive goggles.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31