Consensus on upgrading and upgrade documentation

Reaction score
Going to got pick up my new P4P tomorrow - it arrived to weeks ago so should still have the last software version. Reading dozens of complaints about the recent upgrade, curious what the consensus is - should I upgrade or not? My first drone, so don't want more headaches/hassles than I am already expecting (will it be easy to downgrade to the version that came out of the box).
And is there a link to any documentation for the new release? Or has DJI posted anything explaining new and removed features...

should I upgrade or not?
Firmware updates are optional, so it's really up to you. I always update my firmware after the current version is known to be stable.

will it be easy to downgrade to the version that came out of the box
Downgrading is as easy as upgrading. I found it's easiest to downgrade using the DJI Assistant 2 application. You can download it from the Phantom downloads page.

is there a link to any documentation for the new release?
You can find the release notes on the Phantom downloads page. They only contain the major changes. It's not uncommon for DJI to add new minor features/fixes that are not mentioned in the release notes.

" I always update my firmware after the current version is known to be stable."
Well the problem is, I has been reading nothing but complaints about the new upgrade for the past three days - dozens of them. So not sure how to tell when the version is stable.. DJI hasn't said a word about any issues.. Guess I'll wait until the forums cool down.

Well the problem is, I has been reading nothing but complaints about the new upgrade for the past three days - dozens of them.
It's not really a problem. You will always see complaints when new firmware is released. That does not make it unstable. If everyone is complaining about the same problem, then you should hold off. I have many DJI drones and I only need one hand to count the number of unstable firmware versions released over the last 3 years. It's a rare occurrence.

The complaints I'm referring to - and I just forwarded a dozen that I quickly found to DJI Legal - are indeed showstoppers and operational issues for many people. Third party (meaning, not me) for sure, but so numerous that this cannot just be a bunch of chronic complainers. Good deal that you haven't been affected, but that isn't the case for the dozens of others I have read about.

It's not really a problem. You will always see complaints when new firmware is released. That does not make it unstable. If everyone is complaining about the same problem, then you should hold off. I have many DJI drones and I only need one hand to count the number of unstable firmware versions released over the last 3 years. It's a rare occurrence.

The complaints I'm referring to - and I just forwarded a dozen that I quickly found to DJI Legal - are indeed showstoppers and operational issues for many people
Feel free to list them out here.

So, do you advice to upgrade to the last firmware available?

Feel free to list them out here.[/QUOTE

See this forum, FB, DJI forum, Youtube, elsewhere. No need for me to duplicate what is already out there (unless you are a DJI engineer, at which point your own forum moderators should have given you enough to mull over for the next month). 2 from FB only (100s of others):

P M. I accidently updated the app.... so went through with the new firmware.... took me two days to get it completed.... and I've had nothing but issues with my monitor, skipping and breaking up... prior to this it was rock solid... never skipped a bit.... zero issues .... now even a at a dozen feet out it starts breaking up ...... Man, I dreaded that update. There is a place where I can downgrade but I worry about how to downgrade the controller too. I purchased Litchi and am in hopes that it will fix it.

CM.Hi people. I'm facing an annoying problem trying update to the latest version. The process goes as normal but when I turn on the RC, the led blinks red/green, the app says it is connected but the downlink video is horrible. I've tried re-linking the RC turning off both devices and then turning on the RC, after that turning on the aircraft and going directly to the "Link RC" option. No luck. It flash cyan/blue and confirms it is linked, but still flashing and the video is broken; actually sometimes I get the "No signal" alarm.

I went back to the previous version and it goes back to normal, actually the RC is already linked with solid green; the FPV is also stable as usual. Any insights?

Feel free to list them out here.

No need for me to duplicate what is already out there (unless you are a DJI engineer
I do not work for DJI. I'm just another drone enthusiast (like yourself).

2 from FB only (100s of others)
I see posts like this after every firmware update. It's easy to jump to conclusions and fear the worst without knowing the entire story. For example, do we know if these pilots are using supported mobile devices? And do we know if they installed the firmware properly? It's not fair to just assume everyone is doing everything correctly. These are complicated machines (as you will soon see yourself).

I would concur with MSinger on the 609 firmware update. I have had zero issues with this firmware. The only real changes that impact my flying are the following:
  • Similar to "two step verification" for eMail, one needs to unlock the aircraft to fly in a restricted areas. This requires a an authorization code from DJI. The authorization code is immediately texted to you upon request via you mobile device to enter into the Go app. When flying in restricted areas, this is the only time you need to have internet access. And that is only to receive the authorization code.
  • Use of Litchi requires that you first open the DJI Go app to remove 30m/50m flying restrictions. After the aircraft boots up with the DJI Go app, shut down DJI Go and open Litchi. Litchi then operates as it did before. Considering the robustness of the DJI Go app in comparison to third party apps this might be a good idea anyways.
  • Litchi now has minor bug with gimbal roll adjustment. This will be fixed in an upcoming new release of Litchi.
This is all that I can find. Hope this helps.

Don Barar

"It's not fair to just assume everyone is doing everything correctly."

I get that. I don't know any of these people nor their skill level nor habits.. I worked as an editor for an electronic music magazine for ten years and have worked with PCs since the early 80s and I know that complainers tend to make the most noise. But the shear number of problems I've seen in the last two weeks on multiple forums leads me to believe that this is a very buggy release. I am not going to risk the upgrade myself - picked up the bird today - and will just fly with the older version for now and see what DJI releases in the coming weeks. I've got too much to learn to deal with problems and uncertainties not even mentioned in the "release notes."

I do not work for DJI. I'm just another drone enthusiast (like yourself).

I see posts like this after every firmware update. It's easy to jump to conclusions and fear the worst without knowing the entire story. For example, do we know if these pilots are using supported mobile devices? And do we know if they installed the firmware properly? It's not fair to just assume everyone is doing everything correctly. These are complicated machines (as you will soon see yourself).

But the shear number of problems I've seen in the last two weeks on multiple forums leads me to believe that this is a very buggy release.
While it might seem like a sheer number, it's really a small percentage of pilots. DJI is most popular drone manufacturer in the world. If a majority of pilots were experiencing issues, you'd no doubt see thousands of new posts in these forums each day.

I am not going to risk the upgrade myself - picked up the bird today - and will just fly with the older version for now and see what DJI releases in the coming weeks.
That's one thing I like about DJI -- they don't force you to install new firmware. Enjoy your new bird :)

"it's really a small percentage of pilots."
What;s that's a good point and something I couldn't have appraised - was just saying to a friend yesterday that I had no clue if this was 100 users out of 1000 or out of 10000.

While it might seem like a sheer number, it's really a small percentage of pilots. DJI is most popular drone manufacturer in the world. If a majority of pilots were experiencing issues, you'd no doubt see thousands of new posts in these forums each day.

That's one thing I like about DJI -- they don't force you to install new firmware. Enjoy your new bird :)

I thought there were some limitations introduced with the new firmware ... the release notes are extremely minimal - but maybe not. Going to keep it close to home for a good while in any event.

Try a few different manoeuvres out and if your horizon is level throughout then sit this upgrade out...simple

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers