Connector source for Fatshark install

Reaction score
My first post on the forum. Bought the Phantom and now a fatshark system.

Want to wire power to the fatshark and wanted some suggestions on where to get connectors to make that happen.

I know I can attach to the balance leads on the battery, but they are not very long so I would need to extend them. A better option seems to be to use the supplied power cable on the underside of the phantom, but I don't have a connector to mate up with the fatshark system. Either way I need some connectors...

Would be nice to get recommendations for a US based supplier as I want to purchase some connectors, a cable for my gopro3, some extra batteries, etc. so I only have to pay shipping once.

Thanks for any assistance!

Cheers,
Allen

Buy a cheap Fat Shark voltage filter. It works for 2S and 3S LiPos and you just connect the balance lead to it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...d_fpv_transmitter_power_supply_2s_3s_4s_.html

fat-shark-p-fs-002s-filtered-balance-lead-power-supply.jpg

Just use a male and female servo wire...use two of the same wires on each...works perfect and allows you to connect and disconnect in case you don't use them every flight. If you want to get hi-tech mount the FPV board inside the shell...solder the power and ground from the FPV board right to where the main battery leads are currently soldered. Route your antenna straight out the bottom via a connector adapter you can buy from radio shack. Install a mini-switch on the backside bottom of the phantom....now you can shut the FPV board off when you don't want to use it. If you need pics let me know and I'll show you. It makes for a real clean install...and the FPV board will still allow for an internal battery...although i have my batteries mounted outside because i run two batteries.....the inside compartment of my phantom is stacked with FPV board and IOSD goodies and necessary wiring for it all to work....still it makes a very clean looking install! Good luck!

thetac said:
Just use a male and female servo wire...use two of the same wires on each...works perfect and allows you to connect and disconnect in case you don't use them every flight. If you want to get hi-tech mount the FPV board inside the shell...solder the power and ground from the FPV board right to where the main battery leads are currently soldered. Route your antenna straight out the bottom via a connector adapter you can buy from radio shack. Install a mini-switch on the backside bottom of the phantom....now you can shut the FPV board off when you don't want to use it. If you need pics let me know and I'll show you. It makes for a real clean install...and the FPV board will still allow for an internal battery...although i have my batteries mounted outside because i run two batteries.....the inside compartment of my phantom is stacked with FPV board and IOSD goodies and necessary wiring for it all to work....still it makes a very clean looking install! Good luck!

Hi,
Would love to see a few pics of that install please. I'm nearing buying fatshark fpv gear to go in my phantom.
Cheers, Rich

I think we would all benefit from pix and a bit of text to go along with it. There's lots of interest in doing FPV installs on Phantoms. I'm sure your pix would be of great interest and help to a lot of folks.

PF

thetac said:

Thanks for the good info.

Is it ok to leave out the balance connector voltage filter part if I attach the transmitter to the extra power cable built into the phantom?

This is a bit what it looks like inside pretty busy...you can see the FPV board sitting on its sice on the front side of the picture and if you look closely you can see the cable running out the end of the FPV across the battery compartment and out the bottom (this hooks to the antenna which is mounted externally. The IOS and the PMU fit nicely in the battery compartment. The negative wire on the FPV board is routed through a micro switch on the back to be able to turn off and on the fpv, the power is soldered to the board where the battery hooks up. I use both the camera that came with the fatshark (if i want to fly light) or unplug it and plug in the Hero3 if i want to record. Both cameras are linked to the FPV so i am seeing whatever each camera is looking at the time. I will post external views of phantom so you can see what i'm talking about. What i'm having problems with now is making the pictures that i want to post less quality and smaller in size to get under the 600k limit on this sight~you can also see i am using the bigger motors and three bladed props...total weight with dual 2700 storms and hero 3 is 1500g...still flys like a rocket ship. This is used with dx8 which has altitude reporting, temp. and battery voltage on the transmitter...so i'm getting it double with the OSD...in the shark goggles. Also opted with the simensays landing gear....I know some of you will notice that i used a cold splice in attaching the motors....works great and less of chance in ruining a perfectly good solder job on the ESCs....lol!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 664
OK i figured out how to reduce picture size how here are three pics that will show you more detail outside. pic 4 shows where the antenna cable comes out via a 90 degree fitting. Also shows both cameras. Pic 2 shows the micro switch to shut off the FPV if just wanting to bomb around. Pic 1 shows cables coming from each camera....but only one can be hooked up at a time. I use servo male and female plug-ins. The micro switch also shuts off the OSD as well....note the high speed filter on the HERO...definitely helps with pic quality. I did have a tarrot gimble on here as well...but it got too heavy so i put it on my F550 instead...now i can swap the hero back and forth...both have the DJI IOSD...the F550 is powered with one 8000mah battery...about 12 minutes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 806
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 728
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 604
Wow!!!!! That is SOME setup! How you figured all that out, made room for all those components and transformed a Phantom into such a heavy lifting platform is an amazing accomplishment. I'm green with envy! :mrgreen:

PF

PF
As heavy as it looks...i'm always looking for ways to cut weight....it's down to less than 1400 without the go pro...and even at 1500 it has plenty of power and duration! I'm hoping for someone to make a lightweight 2800 mah battery like 125g or so...the battery technology is continually improving...it will happen it's just a matter of time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31