"Connection to Phantom Failed"

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end trying to solve this problem. Hopefully, someone in this forum has had exactly the same symptoms and can point me to the solution.

I've never flown this PV2+. Three days earlier, everything started properly, motors could be started. I could use vision to see what the camera was seeing. I could control its pitch. Calibration was completed, IMU was calibrated, satellites could be acquired. While Vision was showing me the telemetry and camera output, the RE green system light showed an almost solid green, flickering as data was been transmitted or received.

Then yesterday, as was preparing to go out I did a final check and that's when I noticed new communication failures. First, the system light on the Range Extender was turning on and off. I lost wi-fi on my iPhone5 at times and had to restart everything including the iPhone wi-fi. I switched to vision, and the button light near the top indicated it had wi-fi communication, but when I selected the camera icon, the screen would show no camera image although the wi-fi strength indicator was max, but the message "Connection to Phantom Failed." Back to the first screen and the green light was still on. Back to the camera view, showing the same message, but this time the wi-fi strength icon was dark.

At this time, I thought that somehow, the binding between the camera and Range Extender was broken. So I performed a new binding and everything responded as expected, but still no image. Mind you that I briefly saw the camera image momentarily the day before.

All batteries in the system have been charged and/or replaced. When plane is turned on, self-check proceeds normally, gimbal movement normal, lights sometimes slowly blinking green, sometimes blinking yellow slowly (I'm doing all of this inside my office).

I shut down all of my wi-fi transmitters and restarted, and I reselected the Phantom wi-fi in the iPhone's settings. Then off to vision. Still the same message. The green RE system light blinks on-off-on. Vision reports on the starting page that communications (with something is ok). I then powered down the plane, and noticed that the RE system light was blinking on-off-on, the same as when the plane was on. The RE was fully charged before this very last try.

Any ideas for things to try or the diagnosis of the problem would be appreciated. (This is the second DJI plane in my possession - the first one had a faulty ESC and the plane was replaced with the one reporting the above problems.

Please help me solve this mystery. Thank you!
-Tim

After considerable horsing around with this replacement PV2+plane, I've concluded that the plane's camera electronics have failed :oops: while repeated power on/off cycles in my office. I performed rebinding twice with same results. I noticed that the back of the battery backs into the camera's grey ribbon cables inside the battery chamber. Perhaps one of the connectors came loose when inserting the battery? Another thing that troubled me with this machine is the irregularly successful power-on of the battery.

So I called B&H and requested an RMA for an exchange which they sent. If the third plane doesn't work, I'm just going to ask for a refund and thrown in my sweaty towel :x .

Regards,

--Tim

Sorry to hear that you having so many issues. I suspect your phone/ device. What are you using to run the vision app? Android or iPhone ? Try and borrow an iPhone or another device and try with that.
The RE light behavior is normal as you described
If that doesn't connect, try and press in the connectors on the gimbal in better. When I swapped my gimbal, I had some connection issues like you describe when a cable wasn't snugly connected.

I have seen this a number of times. The first time I did a lot of playing around to find a solution and found that power cycling the phone fixed it.
Today I saw this again and power cycling the phone first fixed it.

Thanks for your suggestions, billin & Dr Joe

indeed, I checked that all gimbal plugs were seated in their jacks properly. I did not open the plan to note anything amiss.

I changed the batteries and used different iPhones and cycled them as well. I also downloaded 8.0.2 from Apple which fixed at least one bug with wi-fi.

The plane was never flown. It rested upright on my desk and/or in the case.

The plane was packaged and returned to B&H for an exchange to plane #3.

Did you have a sd card in the camera? ;)

Have you tried connecting to your Phantom somewhere AWAY from your home? It may be that "Smart Network" feature of your phone is dumping the Phantom connection and re-connecting to a home network to avoid mobile data usage.

-Dale-

SAME CASE WITH ME: new P2V+, has only been sitting on desk doing comm prechecks and haven't even fired up props yet.

In the vision app camera pitch control works, but after a minute of OK imaging FPV no longer works. I get only a static start-up photo (what the GoPro sees on startup).
attempting to take image or video results in "Network timed out" errors. All components fully charged.
Multiple reboots of all parts not helping. SD not recording anything, two different cards tried. Using Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 as controller.

more detail on what happens when taking picture: Tab clicks, a short delay, then brief "Network timed out!" followed by "Phantom Connection Broken!", then back to the initial static image.

I'm having the same issue 3 days ago. I haven't updated anything.
1.FPV black out every 10 - 15 seconds and it reconnects immediately. It's really annoying.
or
2. Connection to Phantom failed.

I've done the following.

1. Re-install all stock antenna (bird and pilot side) - fail
2. Use with another iphone - fail
3. rebinding - fail
4. Open bird and check all connections - fail
5. Open repeater and check all connections - fail

I'm at a lost :? , I can't tell which is bad; the wifi on the bird or the repeater. I'm debating whether to buy a new repeater or a wifi unit (bird side) :x

I had the same problem today. I restarted software and hardware many times trying to start the camera feed with no luck. Finally I pulled the PV2+ battery and waited about 10 minutes before I reinserted it. That started it working again. It did it again after a few flights, but a simple restart sequence fixed it. I was ready to pack it up and send it back, but I think I'll give it a few days and see if it's going to be an ongoing problem.

Dealer at first couldn't reproduce problem, but then after they tried recording photos the FPV locked up just as it did for me. They said that they replaced the whole camera/gimbal assembly and it is now working. Will let y'all know when I get it back.

I have the same problem. Initially everything was working then, on second flight, no video (black screen) and "Network timed out!" followed by "Phantom Connection Broken!" when I try to take a still or "Phantom Connection Broken!" if I try to take video.

No amount of power cycling or re-charging of any of the batteries (including the Android tablet) solves the issue.

There does seem to be a WiFi connection being established as the camera mount LED blinks slowly green and the range extender system LED flashes rapidly to indicate data transfers when a connection is made.

Has anyone managed to fix this problem or is this a return job.

Also, I bought two chargers and one of them (after working for initial charge) now has a flickering red LED and will not charge. Anyone else had this or am I just unlucky!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Correct way to bind P2V+

Reactions: Bryan Joyce
My situation. All i get when powering up it a black screen.
I've update all firmware.
I then downgraded the app to DJI_VISION_V1.0.39.apk to try that. same problem.
I can control the gimbal.
I do have an SD card in it.
I can *not* take pictures of video.
When ever I attempt to it says "Network times out", followed shortly by "Phantom Connection Broken"
It receives all of live the telemetry information
I've checked all the cables. >5times.
The res and frame rate is at its lowest.
I DO get all of the of he telemetry information.
Just no FPV visual.

I'm out of ideas. It has been suggested that it could be a wifi module problem. But so far I've only seen posts relating to these where the user is still able to take a picture and doesn't get the net timed out or connection broken issues.

I really need another unit to test the different components on for proper trouble shooting, but I'm in VietNam and that is near impossible. Please see screenhots.
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Black Screen.png
    Black Screen.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 911
  • Network Timed Out.png
    Network Timed Out.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 740
  • ConnBroken.png
    ConnBroken.png
    319.6 KB · Views: 733
just a thought..... are you running iOS i.e. Apple?

If so, have you allowed your camera to be accessed on the iPhone/IPad. Settings>Privacy>photo and also Cellular data>Photo? also check under locations services the DJI is allowed.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
No I'm using android. S6, but also had the problem on my s4.

Got me thinking though, maybe I'll try starting in safe mode.. One more thing to rule out.

Also just performed a hard reset and reflashed with all the latest firmware.. No luck though still

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
No I'm using android. S6, but also had the problem on my s4.

Got me thinking though, maybe I'll try starting in safe mode.. One more thing to rule out.

Also just performed a hard reset and reflashed with all the latest firmware.. No luck though still

It sounds like the wifi module. Did you ever run wifi boosters? Did you ever use the phantoms wifi to transfer large files to phone?
Have you try placing the wifi module in the fridge for 20 minutes? if it works then its the wifi module overheating or not dissipating heat fast enough which then fries/warps the circuitry.
have you tried the artic silver 5 mod whereby replacing the cruddy DJI's white paste with artic silver thermal paste?

Nope.non of the above.u reckon the freezer might have a chance?
tried safe mode but that of course didnt allow me to use the app.
ill try the freezer.
Nothing to lose atm. i feel like throwing it off my balcony.
i trasnferred a few files.. but never dor prolonged periods of time.
its essentially stock

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31