Confusing dji article

Your link doesn't work since it's in a private Facebook group. For more details, see the article here on DJI's website. It clearly lists which features will no longer work properly if you do not re-register AND you update your firmware.
Do you know exactly where we go to reregister? DJI.com? I went there and have an account but it doesn't say anywhere about how to reregister. Thank you for any info!!!

Not all of us are willing to blindly trust DJI to not impose restrictions in the future or to pull past versions. Exactly which of those scenarios did you find "silly?" That you won't be able to get warranty or repair service because they will put the update on? That a new one will have the update? That a person might want to actually get a new phone at some point in the future or that one might break?
It's not possible to have an intelligent discussion when you use that level of logic.
Do you have a mobile phone? How do you deal with all the what-ifs around that?
rather than worrying about any number of highly improbably what-ifs, look at what is.

they could simply add the restrictions at anytime, without you having to update the firmware. That is the problem. Past updates did not give DJI the ability to introduce future restrictions, this one does.

You must trust DJI 100% not to add restrictions in the future, many of us are unwilling to do that.

Yes. And I hope that their software and database servers are completely secure and can not be hacked by, say, a ransomware grounding all DJI products with a worldwide NFZ :)

Anybody having a problem with the new version of the Go 4 app opening on their tablet or phone? I have both the Go and Go 4 apps because I have multiple DJI products, Phantom 3's and a Phantom 4. The DJI Go seems to work just fine and it prompted me to log on to my account when I opened it. The DJI Go 4, not so much. I get the stopped working message immediately. Tried uninstalling both apps and cleaning out all associated folders. Tried opening with the WIFI turned off......no joy. The tablet is a Galaxy tab Pro. This is a supported device. My Galaxy S7 phone seems to open it just fine.......for now.

Just read all the "race day" stats about Indy...

400,000 people... WOW.

Makes me wonder... clearly there is a NFZ, without even wondering or asking. But virtually any other drone would have no problem flying in, over or around the oval (cue the dude crashing in the ballpark with his Karma).

So this begs the question...

What would you rather own today? A DJI with all its features capabilities but the restrictions that come with it, or another drone with less capability but more freedoms that require self policing?

Me, I'm ok if it stops me from flying somewhere I shouldn't be. I actually wish all others did, because we all know we will cringe and be all over the idiot that gets drones in the news by crashing on the crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we lived in a world where self policing was enough, but we all also know it's not and never will be. The shots would be cool, but not worth the risk.

Sad though that we are all painted with the same brush. A "drone crashed". Period.

EDIT: Also, makes me wonder if maybe this is part of a larger end-game for DJI... distancing themselves from the drones that lack their restrictions and capabilities.

Meaning, I can see it becoming more and more common to answer the above with "yes, but it wasn't a DJI drone".

Last edited:
Guys, maybe this video will help you understand what this update is about and stop fighting for a nonsense.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

BTW. I didn't get any notification about the update yet. And today I was flying in the mountains a lot without any restriction. For me it's very important not to be restricted by altitude. It's because I mostly fly in the mountains. I can't fly just 400 feet high from the starting point. Sometimes I hike for several hours up into the mountains and even then the 1640 feet restriction is too restrictive for me.

I am in Canada and DJI go updated on my iPad Air. I have a Phantom 4 and am just inside the 9 km range from a smaller International Airport. After logging in I was able to start up the P4 and max altitude and none of the other settings appear to be affected. Maybe Canada, or the area I am in, was not on the "hit list" or maybe there is none, but the ability to shut down DJI drones in the event of a threat is now enabled. Waiting for this update was kinda like the Y2k rollover for those who can remember. Thought I would be OK, but until it actually passed..........

I am in Canada and DJI go updated on my iPad Air. I have a Phantom 4 and am just inside the 9 km range from a smaller International Airport. After logging in I was able to start up the P4 and max altitude and none of the other settings appear to be affected. Maybe Canada, or the area I am in, was not on the "hit list" or maybe there is none, but the ability to shut down DJI drones in the event of a threat is now enabled. Waiting for this update was kinda like the Y2k rollover for those who can remember. Thought I would be OK, but until it actually passed..........

Do you have Go 4? I have a P3S and use DJI Go on an iPhone 6 and a mini 2 and I'm in Canada as well but haven't been prompted for an update. Not for Go, just for FW.

No fw update but new version of go and then of course activation. New editor feature

Just back from two flights and see some new changes with the "upgrade". When you hit the three bars at the top right of the first screen, there are some different selections. Top one is "Scan QR Code", then Academy, then Flight Record, then No Fly Zone, then Find my Drone.

No Fly Zone brings you to a map. You can zoom in and see Warning, Enhanced Warning, Authorization and Restricted Zones, with an explanation of each.

IMHO it is good to be able to see where DJI is going to restrict your operation so you are not relying on some other APP that may or not reflect DJI's settings.

Previous updates did not include the ability to have DJI update NFZs in real time, an update would have required another firmware update, something I directly pointed out but you decided not to read. Previous versions did not have any bad NFZ restrictions so there was no reason to complane. This version doesn't either, but that doesn't mean anything because they could simply add the restrictions at anytime, without you having to update the firmware. That is the problem. Past updates did not give DJI the ability to introduce future restrictions, this one does.

You must trust DJI 100% not to add restrictions in the future, many of us are unwilling to do that.

Sure, you can downgrade, for now, but again, that is only because DJI makes that option available, they could pull those files at any time, again, you must trust them 100% not to do that.

OK - so to be completely clear, the only feature that you object to is the ability to update NFZs in real time, as opposed to only with firmware updates. Are you worried that DJI is going to create NFZs in places where it is actually legal to fly, or are you worried that you will not be able to fly in places where it is not legal to fly?

OK - so to be completely clear, the only feature that you object to is the ability to update NFZs in real time, as opposed to only with firmware updates. Are you worried that DJI is going to create NFZs in places where it is actually legal to fly, or are you worried that you will not be able to fly in places where it is not legal to fly?

Correct. I do mot like them having the ability to remotely restrict my drone at any time, if the NFZ updates were only made with new firmware I would have no issues with this. Even if I could manually disable automatic updates (without DJI having the ability to override me) that would be fine. It's the ability for DJI to restrict my flight anytime without my consent that is bothering me.

I am worried about DJI getting the NFZs wrong (it is impossible to accurately track NFZs realtime throughout the entire world, and the current NFZ system is proof of that), that's my major comcern, AND getting them right. While I do fly legally, I do not appreciate a company making my decisions for me, it also would be complicated since with the part 107 rules we basically have multiple sets of rules, how could DJI know which set of rules to use for who? Also it would not allow for exceptional circumstances or emergency. Say your in flight and they decide to update the NFZs and you suddenly find yoirself in a red zone where their was one before and your drone force lands in a swimming pool. A strong wond kicks up and blows you into a restricted zone, you need to take evasive action, etc. What if some emergency situation arises where you have to get your drone in the air, but a TFR has also been emplaced (for example, there is rioting or a natural disaster has occured and you need to find a safe route to escape, or maybe your child has wandered off, use your imagination). And what if the law is just plain bad?

And what if DJI gets hacked and someone just maliciously grounds all drones? What if DJI just screws up the update? What if the download is corrupted? If the NFZs only updated with the firmware none of that would be a problem as you would know from others the new firmware was bad and could chose not to download it, now you can't.

Correct. I do mot like them having the ability to remotely restrict my drone at any time, if the NFZ updates were only made with new firmware I would have no issues with this. Even if I could manually disable automatic updates (without DJI having the ability to override me) that would be fine. It's the ability for DJI to restrict my flight anytime without my consent that is bothering me.

I am worried about DJI getting the NFZs wrong (it is impossible to accurately track NFZs realtime throughout the entire world, and the current NFZ system is proof of that), that's my major comcern, AND getting them right. While I do fly legally, I do not appreciate a company making my decisions for me, it also would be complicated since with the part 107 rules we basically have multiple sets of rules, how could DJI know which set of rules to use for who? Also it would not allow for exceptional circumstances or emergency. Say your in flight and they decide to update the NFZs and you suddenly find yoirself in a red zone where their was one before and your drone force lands in a swimming pool. A strong wond kicks up and blows you into a restricted zone, you need to take evasive action, etc. What if some emergency situation arises where you have to get your drone in the air, but a TFR has also been emplaced (for example, there is rioting or a natural disaster has occured and you need to find a safe route to escape, or maybe your child has wandered off, use your imagination). And what if the law is just plain bad?

And what if DJI gets hacked and someone just maliciously grounds all drones? What if DJI just screws up the update? What if the download is corrupted? If the NFZs only updated with the firmware none of that would be a problem as you would know from others the new firmware was bad and could chose not to download it, now you can't.

So you didn't mind NFZ updates as part of firmware updates. Do you check the NFZ database for each firmware update to make sure that it was accurate before installing it? You wait until other people test the firmware for you before updating, and you think that is going to validate the NFZ database in the firmware?

In terms of how the NFZs cope with Part 107 vs. Part 101, that issue is unchanged whether the database is dynamic or locked to firmware versions.

The rest of your objections, in my view, reflect either irrational and over-imaginative fearfulness and/or a very skewed view of technology. For example, as @Meta4 said earlier, try applying that logic to your mobile phone, of example. That could be rendered immediately useless if hackers successfully attack your cell phone company databases.

Personally I think that you are hugely overreaching in an attempt to justify an illogical objection to a minor change in how the NFZ system works, not even because you can find anything wrong with the database, but because you are scared that DJI might get it wrong in the future in a way that might, possibly, inconvenience you. But if that is what you want to spend your time worrying about then fine - your prerogative and not my problem.

Reactions: Meta4
So you didn't mind NFZ updates as part of firmware updates. Do you check the NFZ database for each firmware update to make sure that it was accurate before installing it? You wait until other people test the firmware for you before updating, and you think that is going to validate the NFZ database in the firmware?

In terms of how the NFZs cope with Part 107 vs. Part 101, that issue is unchanged whether the database is dynamic or locked to firmware versions.

The rest of your objections, in my view, reflect either irrational and over-imaginative fearfulness and/or a very skewed view of technology. For example, as @Meta4 said earlier, try applying that logic to your mobile phone, of example. That could be rendered immediately useless if hackers successfully attack your cell phone company databases.

Personally I think that you are hugely overreaching in an attempt to justify an illogical objection to a minor change in how the NFZ system works, not even because you can find anything wrong with the database, but because you are scared that DJI might get it wrong in the future in a way that might, possibly, inconvenience you. But if that is what you want to spend your time worrying about then fine - your prerogative and not my problem.

When it is just a part of firmware updates then yes, it will be pretty easy to tell there is a problem, there will be many complaints about it. Under the current NFZs, I have no problems, the places I fly are fine, I can go as high as I want as far as I want (and not break any laws either), I have no issues, but when the NFZs are dynamic that becomes an unknown, whether it be by law, mistake, or maliciousness, NFZs could change at any time, and my drone could be restricted at any time, I don't get a choice. Under the current system I simply would not download the new firmware and wait for them to fix it, but this new shstem would no longer give me that option, that is not acceptable to me. The bottom line is I bought a drone with certain capabilities, I expect that it will retain those capabilities withoit being changed by software I did not consent to, if I wanted a less capable drone I would have bought one, for far less money.

Ideally I would like to see the entire geo sgstem completely overhauled, no more restrictions at all, just an advisory, "you are anout to enter restricted airspace (because of _____), if you continue you do so at your own risk amd take full responsibility." Barring that I at least do not want dynamic NFZs without an anility to turn off the automatic updates.

When it is just a part of firmware updates then yes, it will be pretty easy to tell there is a problem, there will be many complaints about it. Under the current NFZs, I have no problems, the places I fly are fine, I can go as high as I want as far as I want (and not break any laws either), I have no issues, but when the NFZs are dynamic that becomes an unknown, whether it be by law, mistake, or maliciousness, NFZs could change at any time, and my drone could be restricted at any time, I don't get a choice. Under the current system I simply would not download the new firmware and wait for them to fix it, but this new shstem would no longer give me that option, that is not acceptable to me. The bottom line is I bought a drone with certain capabilities, I expect that it will retain those capabilities withoit being changed by software I did not consent to, if I wanted a less capable drone I would have bought one, for far less money.

Ideally I would like to see the entire geo sgstem completely overhauled, no more restrictions at all, just an advisory, "you are anout to enter restricted airspace (because of _____), if you continue you do so at your own risk amd take full responsibility." Barring that I at least do not want dynamic NFZs without an anility to turn off the automatic updates.

And it will retain those capabilities if you do not update the software and firmware. Your choice.

I think, ultimately, after reading 16 pages of reviews, thoughts, opinions, insights and counterpoints, that it seems DJI is trying too hard to take (or absolve themselves of) too much responsibility for something they don't need to be assuming responsibility for.

What you voluntarily do with your car after you leave the lot becomes YOUR responsibility. Not the dealer, not the manufacturer, not the engineer.

Just you.

It feels like what they are trying to do is make sure THEIR product isn't used in the commission of an offence.

But... it's not THEIR product after I walk out the door with it, receipt in hand.

Reactions: lasersbee
Yes, you can opt not to fly under any rules or software/firmware limitations at all, and might get away with it in out of the way, sparsely populated (non-sensitive) areas too.
But just maybe, somebody flying under these "I can do anything I want" delusions, might find themselves in an area that some hypothetical "Someone" does consider to be "sensitive". Then picture this scenario. A unmarked vehicle quietly drives up behind you, a couple of plainclothes types gets, out orders you to land your "Drone" (they may have already taken care of that task for you btw), and then you are "asked" to accompany them... If you think this can't happen, think again.

And it will retain those capabilities if you do not update the software and firmware. Your choice.

The problem is in order to do that I have to disable ALL my apps from updating automatically and having to manually update them all is a pain, it also means I will ne unable to use warranty or repair services as they would update the firmware. It also means that should the old version of Go be made unavailable I will be stuck permanently using whatever device it is on, so I will ne unable to upgrade my device and will have to pay full price for a new device and if something happens to my old device I won't be able to ise the drone at all. I also will not get any firmware fixes or improvements. Kindof a ****** move on DJI's part.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers