Confusing dji article

DJI will update your location information from GPS data to limit range and height per your country's laws with the upgrade. If you do not upgrade, they will restrict you to low altitude and low range. Primarily this is for Europe. Tidak bagus.

You've got that confused. The flight restrictions come into play only if you DO upgrade and then don't login and register. There's nothing that forces you to upgrade.

Reactions: Dronut2
Sorry - what have they done to hurt the honest customer, or are you still fretting about all the terrible things they could do?

I've never heard of any mods to spoof the GPS data, and since that seems like it would break most of the functionality of the aircraft, it doesn't sound like something worth doing, or something that enough people would do to make it worth worrying about. In any case, idea with software/firmware controls is not to prevent a determined, skilled person from circumventing them, but to prevent the unskilled, unknowledgeable person (the vast majority of their customers) from breaking safety rules either inadvertently or stupidly.

Criminals don't follow the rules they're criminals. The rest of us would easily be handled by the systems already in place, this attempt to "think for us" does nothing save to open a path that someone will abuse. Scenarios do come to mind which would be able to turn the system DJI put in place against itself but I'm sure you can think of those on your own.

Since you've never heard of it allow me to enlighten you. NFZ mod for Phantom 4 (not for PRO)

Reactions: apprentice
In the end, paranoia makes you think stupid things.
In the end, I didn't get personal so lets not get that way.

We've hashed this over enough and I still side with this being an overreaction to a tempest in a teapot. The sheer number of drone flights and the only a handful of bad moments doesn't call for this level of interference. If they wanted to put more prompts and audible reminders that would be acceptably annoying. Otherwise lets perhaps close this thread and start a new one to get information on what the new changes do so the facts can be presented in an unbiased manner. Then an informed choice can be made.

Last edited:
Criminals don't follow the rules they're criminals. The rest of us would easily be handled by the systems already in place, this attempt to "think for us" does nothing save to open a path that someone will abuse. Scenarios do come to mind which would be able to turn the system DJI put in place against itself but I'm sure you can think of those on your own.

Since you've never heard of it allow me to enlighten you. NFZ mod for Phantom 4 (not for PRO)

Thanks for the link. Dynamic position offset by changing the NMEA stream - that's quite sophisticated.

I still don't see why that means it is not worth implementing safety restrictions in the software though. That's like saying it's not worth locking your doors because a determined thief will find a way in regardless. I've no idea what you mean by "turn the DJI system put in place against itself".

The sheer number of drone flights and the only a handful of bad moments doesn't call for this level of interference.
I still can't see what this interference is that you're complaining about.
Almost all the objections in this thread are objections to what users imagine rather than to something real.

Reactions: sar104
Almost all the objections in this thread are objections to what users imagine rather than to something real.

And exactly the same feverish imaginings are going on over in the Mavic forum, with the same non sequiturs and other logic failures.

Ok I'm done here....again.

If you cannot see them asserting control over a device you purchased that had no such controls prior to that point then I cannot help you. You've seen the objections but your head is so firmly implanted that a proctologist has to give you a haircut. Look at the metaphor of the camel's nose, the example of the automobile or the gun industry take any one you desire if you're unable to at least acknowledge that then it borders on being a corporate shill. I'm not going to linger here and listen to some idiot babble on about how DJI has only the best intentions to serve the public and I should trust them. Obviously I don't because I've worked in those corporations and those MF'ers will do anything they think they can get away with.

Dronut2 posted a quote of my earlier post, but then said nothing about it one way or the other. I stand by what I wrote. The flight restrictions come into play only if you upgrade the app and don't register it online from your device. DJI does NOT impose flight restrictions if you do NOT upgrade.

If you cannot see them asserting control over a device you purchased that had no such controls prior to that point then I cannot help you. You've seen the objections but your head is so firmly implanted that a proctologist has to give you a haircut. Look at the metaphor of the camel's nose, the example of the automobile or the gun industry take any one you desire if you're unable to at least acknowledge that then it borders on being a corporate shill. I'm not going to linger here and listen to some idiot babble on about how DJI has only the best intentions to serve the public and I should trust them. Obviously I don't because I've worked in those corporations and those MF'ers will do anything they think they can get away with.

You may be done, but you are still not making much sense. Even if these updates were found to contain additional restrictions (for which there is no evidence so far that I've seen) the counter argument, that you and many others seem determined to ignore, is that these updates are entirely optional. The only restrictions mentioned anywhere arise if you update but then don't login. You are not required to update, in which case you have exactly what you originally bought and paid for. Do you disagree with that statement and, if so, on what basis?

I've not seen anyone argue, either, that DJI has the best interests of the customer as its uppermost priority. It's in the business to make money. But, conversely, damaging the interests of the customer is self-defeating, so to some extent the interests need to align. Can you point to a single, specific issue with the update that you have a problem with, rather than just talking in vague terms about camels and cars and guns?

Reactions: Meta4
You may be done, but you are still not making much sense. Even if these updates were found to contain additional restrictions (for which there is no evidence so far that I've seen) the counter argument, that you and many others seem determined to ignore, is that these updates are entirely optional. The only restrictions mentioned anywhere arise if you update but then don't login. You are not required to update, in which case you have exactly what you originally bought and paid for. Do you disagree with that statement and, if so, on what basis?

I've not seen anyone argue, either, that DJI has the best interests of the customer as its uppermost priority. It's in the business to make money. But, conversely, damaging the interests of the customer is self-defeating, so to some extent the interests need to align. Can you point to a single, specific issue with the update that you have a problem with, rather than just talking in vague terms about camels and cars and guns?

Your completely missing the point. The reason we bring up the camels, cars, amd guns is to illustrate the point; it is nothing about anything in the update now, it's what it enables to possibly happen in the future.

Under the current system, if they wanted to restrict your drone the only way they could do it is to get physical access to it or incorporate he changes in mew firmware, they can't just change something at a whim. But with this new sustem they can. Sure there are no new restrictions today, but what about tomorrow? What is to stop them from restricting your drone in the future? Nothing. With the present system they would habe to release new firmware and after the first few people got restricted word would get out and no one else would install it, but now they can just restrict all the drones any time all at once and you can't stop them.

These updates are also not entirely optional, think about it.
How do you stop the update? Never update the go app or the firmware. How do you avoid having that happen automatically? You will have to turn off automatic updates on your device. Now NONE of your applications will auto update, even ones you want to. We had no such problem before, DJI is imposing it on us if we choose not to get the update.

What if you get a new device? You can't get the old app anymore, so you will have to keep using your present device, no replacements alowed, no trade ins allowed. So now you can never upgrade your cellphone or tablet unless you eat the full cost of a new one, we had no such problem before, DJI is imposing it on is if we choose not to get the update.

What if your device is damaged or lost? How do you replace the go app? You can't, you will jave to get the new one which has the update. DJI is forcing you to update.

What if new improvements or fixes comeout in future firmware? You can't het it if you don't update. DJI is forcing you to update if you want the new improvements or fixes.

What if you have to send the drone back for waranty repair or replacement? They will update your firmware for you or send you a new drone with the updated firmware already on it. DJI will give you no choice, so you don't want the update you lose your warranty coverage.

What if you bought DJI care? You can't use it because they will give you the new firmware. So now you can't use the service that you paid for if you don't want the update.

What if you want to replace the drone yourself? Where are you going to find one without the update?

What if the firmware becomes corrupted or you have to replace the board? Can you still get the old firmware? Will you be able to in the future?

Last edited:
Your completely missing the point. The reason we bring up the camels, cars, amd guns is to illustrate the point; it is nothing about anything in the update now, it's what it enables to possibly happen in the future.

Under the current system, if they wanted to restrict your drone the only way they could do it is to get physical access to it or incorporate he changes in mew firmware, they can't just change something at a whim. But with this new sustem they can. Sure there are no new restrictions today, but what about tomorrow? What is to stop them from restricting your drone in the future? Nothing. With the present system they would habe to release new firmware and after the first few people got restricted word would get out and no one else would install it, but now they can just restrict all the drones any time all at once and you can't stop them.

These updates are also not entirely optional, think about it.
How do you stop the update? Never update the go app or the firmware. How do you avoid having that happen automatically? You will have to turn off automatic updates on your device. Now NONE of your applications will auto update, even ones you want to. We had no such problem before, DJI is imposing it on us if we choose not to get the update.

What if you get a new device? You can't get the old app anymore, so you will have to keep using your present device, no replacements alowed, no trade ins allowed. So now you can never upgrade your cellphone or tablet unless you eat the full cost of a new one, we had no such problem before, DJI is imposing it on is if we choose not to get the update.

What if your device is damaged or lost? How do you replace the go app? You can't, you will jave to get the new one which has the update. DJI is forcing you to update.

What if new improvements or fixes comeout in future firmware? You can't het it if you don't update. DJI is forcing you to update if you want the new improvements or fixes.

What if you have to send the drone back for waranty repair or replacement? They will update your firmware for you or send you a new drone with the updated firmware already on it. DJI will give you no choice, so you don't want the update you lose your warranty coverage.

What if you bought DJI care? You can't use it because they will give you the new firmware. So now you can't use the service that you paid for if you don't want the update.

What if you want to replace the drone yourself? Where are you going to find one without the update?

What if the firmware becomes corrupted or you have to replace the board? Can you still get the old firmware? Will you be able to in the future?

What does this update enable that previous versions of the software and hardware didn't enable? If there is a valid point here then yes, I am completely missing it. Previous versions included restrictions. Did you complain every time a new version was released, because it might enable some future, undefined restriction? The new update doesn't appear to include any new restrictions. Can anyone actually point to a restriction that is new?

Did you complain that all previous updates were not optional because making them optional would have required you to manage the updates on your device? Did you complain that all previous updates were not optional because they might get installed if you sent the aircraft in for repair, even though it has been demonstrated many times that you can downgrade to previous versions if you want to?

Yes - I don't get it. I don't see a single logical, coherent argument in all the whining.

Your tinfoil hat must be too tight.
What if, what if ... what if DJI want to track you down and perform medical experiments on you?
It a silly suggestion but it makes as much sense as all the what ifs you put up.
You can get the apk file for old versions of the app and upload them any time ... (if it's really important to you)
DJI is not forcing you to do anything.

If you really want whatever updates they make that might be the price you would have to pay.
But it's quite possible that you could still fly with an old version of the app since DJI have never forced you to have a current app previously.

What if ... what if ... what if ... blah blah blah
Sorry but you're just going out of your way to make up silly and extreme arguments to support your argument.
But it all falls apart because the initial premise that the update is forced and it's evil is incorrect.
if you want to play with sophisticated modern technology, go ahead and enjoy it.
If it's all too scary for you, just keep a P1 for the times you want to come out of your bunker for a quick fly.

The simple facts that you haven't picked up on are that DJI don't force the update on you.
DJI have succeeded by selling the best ready-to-fly drones that give fabulous performance, far better than any competitor has been able to.
DJI aren't going to do anything to change that.
Updating the app won't cause your flying fun to stop.

I see the points on both sides and admit that it is somewhat fascinating... To be able to review varying opinions are what forums are all about. Informative, intuitive, educational, and more cognitive than you might imagine when you can review it with a level of objectivity.

I already know how I'm going to handle this but I still appreciate being better informed after each read, and being informed can't be a bad thing.

Reactions: kbviper and Loz

If you cannot see them asserting control over a device you purchased that had no such controls prior to that point then I cannot help you. You've seen the objections but your head is so firmly implanted that a proctologist has to give you a haircut. Look at the metaphor of the camel's nose, the example of the automobile or the gun industry take any one you desire if you're unable to at least acknowledge that then it borders on being a corporate shill. I'm not going to linger here and listen to some idiot babble on about how DJI has only the best intentions to serve the public and I should trust them...

Wow! after your previous post asserting no need for personal attacks, that went out the window fast, when somebody disagreed with your opinion, not your person.

Forgive the nodoubt dumb question - the DJIGO app is not showing update available (as I anticipated) is all this just WRT DJI4 app? or is update expected for DJIGO too.

What does this update enable that previous versions of the software and hardware didn't enable? If there is a valid point here then yes, I am completely missing it. Previous versions included restrictions. Did you complain every time a new version was released, because it might enable some future, undefined restriction? The new update doesn't appear to include any new restrictions. Can anyone actually point to a restriction that is new?

Did you complain that all previous updates were not optional because making them optional would have required you to manage the updates on your device? Did you complain that all previous updates were not optional because they might get installed if you sent the aircraft in for repair, even though it has been demonstrated many times that you can downgrade to previous versions if you want to?

Yes - I don't get it. I don't see a single logical, coherent argument in all the whining.

Previous updates did not include the ability to have DJI update NFZs in real time, an update would have required another firmware update, something I directly pointed out but you decided not to read. Previous versions did not have any bad NFZ restrictions so there was no reason to complane. This version doesn't either, but that doesn't mean anything because they could simply add the restrictions at anytime, without you having to update the firmware. That is the problem. Past updates did not give DJI the ability to introduce future restrictions, this one does.

You must trust DJI 100% not to add restrictions in the future, many of us are unwilling to do that.

Sure, you can downgrade, for now, but again, that is only because DJI makes that option available, they could pull those files at any time, again, you must trust them 100% not to do that.

Your tinfoil hat must be too tight.
What if, what if ... what if DJI want to track you down and perform medical experiments on you?
It a silly suggestion but it makes as much sense as all the what ifs you put up.

You can get the apk file for old versions of the app and upload them any time ... (if it's really important to you)
DJI is not forcing you to do anything.

If you really want whatever updates they make that might be the price you would have to pay.
But it's quite possible that you could still fly with an old version of the app since DJI have never forced you to have a current app previously.

Sorry but you're just going out of your way to make up silly and extreme arguments to support your argument.
But it all falls apart because the initial premise that the update is forced and it's evil is incorrect.
if you want to play with sophisticated modern technology, go ahead and enjoy it.
If it's all too scary for you, just keep a P1 for the times you want to come out of your bunker for a quick fly.

The simple facts that you haven't picked up on are that DJI don't force the update on you.
DJI have succeeded by selling the best ready-to-fly drones that give fabulous performance, far better than any competitor has been able to.
DJI aren't going to do anything to change that.
Updating the app won't cause your flying fun to stop.

Not all of us are willing to blindly trust DJI to not impose restrictions in the future or to pull past versions. Exactly which of those scenarios did you find "silly?" That you won't be able to get warranty or repair service because they will put the update on? That a new one will have the update? That a person might want to actually get a new phone at some point in the future or that one might break?

Motor car companies have the ability to stop a vehicle dead in its tracks remotely - DJI have the ability to update No Fly Zones in real time now (they are called that for a reason, and NOT defined by DJI) - I just cannot see a problem, I can see potential safety benefit to all.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik