Confused with Assistant Software

Reaction score
Just Received my new FC40 and am updating the firmware.

I am having some confusion regarding updating the copter firmware vs updating the transmitter.

I have downloaded Naza Assistant 2.20 and performed the firmware update on the copter. I have set up IOC and RTH failsafe. I can see the transmitter sticks moved from within that software.

I have also downloaded RC Assistant 1.1 to calibrate my transmitter. I cannot find a port to connect it to the computer anywhere on the transmitter. When I'm in Naza on the upgrade page it states that the Reciever firmware is at 1.0.1.3 and that the transmitter needs to be at 1.0.2.22 but I cannot figure out how to verify the firmware on the transmitter.

Can anyone clarify?

Appreciate the help.

You have to open the radio to get to the USB socket .

Don't know for sure .. Did mine when I first got my Phantom..

Mandrake said:
You have to open the radio to get to the USB socket .

Seriously?

I mean that's not a big deal if that's what I need to do. I just modded a new Taranis transmitter to relocate an OrangeRX DSMX module antenna that was in a crappy spot, but you'd think DJI would have put a port on the outside of the radio if they intended for the majority of users to upgrade it at any point.

Maybe I'm wrong but I kind of put this Phantom somewhere between a toy and a hobby grade quad. I just don't see many of the target market taking the screws off the back of the transmitter.... maybe I'm wrong.

Big question.... Do I really need to upgrade it at this point?

I didn't update any software. In fact, my FC40, at least, is up to date. Set your limits, turn on IOC, etc and fly it.

Attachments

• Settings1.JPG
    Settings1.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 420
More settings.

Setting the limits is VERY important. They are set to 2000 yards, which effectively means no limits at all.

Don't worry about changing the voltage settings.

Attachments

• Settings2.JPG
    Settings2.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 477
Haven't had any issues getting the Naza software to run. Missed the part on the limits, so will go in and set that to 250m as you shown. Mine are currently at 2000m. So will change that.

Appreciate the screenshots. A picture is worth a thousand words...

What is the RC assistant software for? It appears that Naza does the same thing?

Rustysocket said:
Haven't had any issues getting the Naza software to run. Missed the part on the limits, so will go in and set that to 250m as you shown. Mine are currently at 2000m. So will change that.

Appreciate the screenshots. A picture is worth a thousand words...

What is the RC assistant software for? It appears that Naza does the same thing?

I think we may be talking about the same program, just calling it different names.

For the life of me, I don't know why they would sell quads with 2000 yard limits. That is over a mile, well beyond the capabilities of the thing. How many have been lost because of this?

When I went to the DJI downloads page for the FC40 there were two different pieces of software. One was the Naza assistant, the other was called RC assistant. Then there was a driver as well.

Rustysocket said:
What is the other program RC Assistant for?

It is for configuring the transmitter. No need for it normally. You can switch it to Mode 1 (throttle on right, I believe) if you like.

If you use this, you have to open the transmitter to get to the USB connector.

darwin-t said:
Rustysocket said:
What is the other program RC Assistant for?

It is for configuring the transmitter. No need for it normally. You can switch it to Mode 1 (throttle on right, I believe) if you like.

If you use this, you have to open the transmitter to get to the USB connector.

Thanks for your help. I think I understand where my confusion started and happy to say I have it flying now and am incredibly impressed.

I'm looking forward to getting a camera on and FPV. I have a Hero 3 Silver GoPro with WiFi. I may research into trying it out. I see parts in your signature. Is that what you did?

Rustysocket said:
I'm looking forward to getting a camera on and FPV. I have a Hero 3 Silver GoPro with WiFi. I may research into trying it out. I see parts in your signature. Is that what you did?

Yes. Here are the links

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCAM-RC80...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item27e7d4301d

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SLDF7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this cable. It did not fit, so I removed the pins for the yellow and black wires and replaced those in the connector that came with the transmitter, while removing the extra wires.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SLDF7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My limited test this morning did not give the range I wanted, but one can always buy better antennas. Also, I think Boscam sells transmitters of 1000 Mw, this one is 500 Mw.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj