Confused about the need for gps chip

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 4K and bought an iPad 4 mini without cellular. If I'm not in an area with wifi will I not have maps? So far I've flown in areas that have wifi and there's always a map which is loaded and accurate. If I fly in an area without wifi will I have a problem? My son wants me to return the iPad 4 mini and get one with cellular. Is that the best thing to Do?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You only need gps on your mobile device for follow-me mode & home location reset (say you move to another location after taking off). Other than that, you can fly without any issues. For wifi, you only need it for maps, which you can cache the flying area at home prior to flying.

I think you just cache the maps whilst connected, then they should work out in the wild.
The cellular version does have a GPS chip and a barometer, autopilot uses these for follow mode. If money no problem, then go with a cellular, but for most users then the Ipad mini 4 non cellular should be fine.

Yep. I use a Ipad2 mini, wifi only, as a dedicated device for my P3S. Just cache Google Maps, or maps of your choice when connected to internet/wifi. I use Google maps. It's free, fast, and updates every 29 days or sooner if you prefer.

Thanks for the answers guys. So one more. How do you cache maps? For example I'm going to the North Shore of Oahu to film surfing. How do I preload maps? I have google maps on my iPad already. Thanks

I connect my IPad to my IPhone via Bluetooth and Hotspot and the maps work fine - that is when I remember to do it.

Hi Talmai,

Put DJI Go into Camera mode, do not need to be connected to aircraft. So long as you have internet connection, DJI Go will cache the maps as you view them in the app. You just need to move the map to the area you are to fly. I usually move around the map at various levels of magnification to cache as much as detail as I can.

Best wishes,
Tommy

Thanks for the answers guys. So one more. How do you cache maps? For example I'm going to the North Shore of Oahu to film surfing. How do I preload maps? I have google maps on my iPad already. Thanks

For Google Maps:
Open Google Maps
Type Oahu in search bar, enter
Select three line icon, top left.
Select offline areas.
Select Custom areas.
Select 'download this area' --be sure you have enough space for the down load. Hope this helps. You can do this anywhere in the world.

I think you also want to enable CACHE MAP IN THE BACKGROUND.
ac1cdae28e0262a5f5bd94e8c4166d1e.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31