CONFIRMED: WiFi Only iPad Air 2 CAN INDEED Reset Home Point to RC Transmitter Location

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
NOTE: Updated Based Upon Further Testing by Myself and Several Others (Thank You!)

CONFIRMED: WiFi Only iPad Air 2 CAN Indeed Reset Home Point to RC Transmitter Location!

After extensive testing, I have confirmed the ability of a WiFi only iPad Air 2 to be able reset the Home Point to the RC Transmitter location in the Pilot app, while connected to an external BT Bad Elf Pro+ GPS, or BT Bad Elf Pro GPS. Any BT connected GPS device should work similarly, as long as the iPad is not running iOS 8.3, which crippled this functionality. It was restored in iOS 8.4.

This is Great News! No longer is a cellular iPad or iPhone required to use this invaluable feature!
I highly recommend the BT Bad Elf Pro ($150), as it has a digital display, a backlight, and is also used by many private pilots with iPad Air units to supplement or replace their aircraft avionics.

It was previously thought that this feature didn't work, but after retesting based upon others who had it working, I can confirm it DOES work! Aircraft must be in either idle mode or in flight for it to work. It won't work without the motors running.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a DJI software issue but more of a upper level permission issue with iOS software. The fix for now will be to purchase an iPad wifi with cellular. Works flawless.

Reactions: TimBarnhart
I was under the impression it doesn't work because it doesn't have GPS. Can't set a new home point with no GPS. The Air 2 doesn't have a GPS.
That's what bad elf is for for.

I can fly a real aircraft using said iPad with a bad elf unit no problem at all. Introducing the logic to the dji app to do the same should be a piece of cake.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Sell it for an iPad with cellular like I did
The Bad Elf Pro+ has a 1 meter accuracy and uses no iPad power. I guarantee you that your cellular GPS is at best 5-10 meter accuracy. An external Bad Elf Pro+ GPS fix will always be more accurate, especially if cell service is unavailable, or not paid for, to enhance the cellular iPad GPS. The last thing you want to do is set the Home Point to a bad transmitter location value! Real pilots use Bad Elf devices with WiFi iPads in their real cockpits to replace their instruments, and do not rely upon or trust the built-in GPS from a cellular iPad. It's too inaccurate, and unreliable.

Last edited:
Okay - admittedly this is most likely a stupid question so please don't flame me....but can you switch tablet devices mid flight without disastrous results? I am not saying I want to be the guinea pig, but for example....... flying with the wifi Air2 and it's great display, then switching to GPS phone running the Pilot Ap to change the Homepoint from new remote location. The only reason I ask....I have heard of guys needing to reboot the Ap during flight and that the P3 can fly with no tablet ...so reboot with new device.....what's the difference? Again, I am sure there is a problem with this, but I am just curious. My teacher always told me the only stupid question was the one that wasn't asked, so ...what the hell!

I was under the impression it doesn't work because it doesn't have GPS. Can't set a new home point with no GPS. The Air 2 doesn't have a GPS.
The more accurate Bad Elf GPS location data is now fully recognized by iOS 8.4. That was one of the major fixes in iOS 8.4 which 8.3 broke. The Pilot app simply has to be reprogrammed to use it, where no cellular antenna exists, and to use external GPS even when it does exist, as it is far more accurate GPS information than any cellular enhanced GPS, and even more accurate than the GPS in the aircraft itself!

Last edited:
Okay - admittedly this is most likely a stupid question so please don't flame me....but can you switch tablet devices mid flight without disastrous results? I am not saying I want to be the guinea pig, but for example....... flying with the wifi Air2 and it's great display, then switching to GPS phone running the Pilot Ap to change the Homepoint from new remote location. The only reason I ask....I have heard of guys needing to reboot the Ap during flight and that the P3 can fly with no tablet ...so reboot with new device.....what's the difference? Again, I am sure there is a problem with this, but I am just curious. My teacher always told me the only stupid question was the one that wasn't asked, so ...what the hell!
During my testing, I was effectively doing just that. However, I was swapping out devices while the aircraft was on the ground idling. I wasn't specifically testing for that capability, but you can try it idling on the ground first, before doing it in midair. In an emergency, I think it could definitely be done. However, best if the Pilot app is rewritten to use external BT GPS devices, when connected to WiFi only Air's! It is really a simple programming fix.

That's what bad elf is for for.

I can fly a real aircraft using said iPad with a bad elf unit no problem at all. Introducing the logic to the dji app to do the same should be a piece of cake.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Thank you for your validation and support! :cool:

Well, then, I'm excited to know that we might possibly have a future release that will use the elf thingie!!

I think it's a bit unfair to tell someone to sell one iPad just to buy another more expensive one. I have same iPad, and have noticed same problem. I will do a test to confirm my own setup.

Using the iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular, and it's stellar.

Works like a magic charm, with endless wishes.

It's great and no more glare from the Sun star...
The A8X CPU lets the iPad 2 remain cool as a cucumber? ;-)

So happy to have traded up...

RedHotPoker

Well, then, I'm excited to know that we might possibly have a future release that will use the elf thingie!!
Most importantly, the Bad Elf Pro+, or even the Bad Elf Pro, are both far more accurate GPS location information than any cellular assisted GPS. If I am resetting to the RC, I want to know the Home Point is as accurate as can be, in the event it is needed! 1 meter accuracy rather than 5-15 meter accuracy can spell the difference between safety and disaster, in a tight space, in an emergency! Private pilots rely on Bad Elf BT connected GPS for their information, and all buy WiFi only iPads because the cellular GPS is unreliable for flying!

Using the iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular, and it's stellar.

Works like a magic charm, with endless wishes.

It's great and no more glare from the Sun star...
The A8X CPU lets the iPad 2 remain cool as a cucumber? ;-)

So happy to have traded up...

RedHotPoker
IPad Air 2 WiFi only is a worthwhile upgrade. However, for the additional cost of the cellular version, you could buy a Bad Elf Pro for more accurate and dependable GPS data, and just Hotspot your already paid for phone for data and maps, saving buying another data plan.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit unfair to tell someone to sell one iPad just to buy another more expensive one. I have same iPad, and have noticed same problem. I will do a test to confirm my own setup.
I naively assumed that the feature wasn't yet fully enabled on any device, and was pending, much like Way Points and Orbit, until I realized resetting to the transmitter location already works, if I use my iPhone 6+ as the tablet! Save your money and buy a Bad Elf Pro BT GPS instead (under $150) with no contract required for GPS anywhere, or spring for the Bad Elf Pro+, for the very best.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl