Confirmation on S1 functinality in PHANTOM mode w/ ver 3.04?

Reaction score
Taking baby steps with my new Phantom.

There has been a lot of discussion and videos of beginners using Phantom mode or Naza mode...

Along with those discussions and vids I have found a lot of conflicting information on the functionality of S1. I updated both my controller and phantom about 2 weeks ago (when my phantom arrived) to the latest firmware. 3.04

I know S1 is used for compass calibration in both Phantom and Naza modes, but during flight, I would like to know DEFINIVELY what S1 does.

In Phantom mode (as shipped): My understanding from the manual is: Up is RTF-GPS, and the other two positions do nothing unless in failsafe mode, and then either can be used to regain control of the phantom.

In Naza mode (as shipped) My understanding from some of the posts here and some videos is: Up is GPS mode. and either of the other two are defaulted to ATTI mode.

I am thinking that some of my confusion may be due to the some of the vids being created with an earlier/different version of firmware, and the switches functioned differently back then. Maybe not.

Thanks.

Re: Confirmation on S1 functinality in PHANTOM mode w/ ver 3

Up...GPS Mode Middle...ATTI Down...RTH or Manual

Awilson18 said:
Up...GPS Mode Middle...ATTI Down...RTH or Manual

Close. But not the default which is what he asked for. This is for NAZA mode default S1.

Up - Ready-To-Fly GPS
Middle - Ready-To-Fly ATTI
Lower - Ready-To-Fly ATTI

Optional: In the assistant there is a dropdown menu for S1 lower position. You can choose between ATTI, Failsafe, or Manual.
It is called failsafe here because it is not necessarily return to home. If you have 5 satellites or less and initiate failsafe, the phantom will land right where it is. It also may drift with the wind on the way down. To further complicate things, you can set what failsafe means overall. It can either be "return to home and landing" or "landing". So if it is set to "landing", it will land straight down, regardless of sats, in failsafe. Failsafe is either S1 initiated failsafe, or loss of transmitter signal.

Ok so to summarize, assuming stock from factory.

In Phantom mode S1:
Up - RTF GPS (assuming 6+Sats)
Mid - Nothing except regain control from failsafe.
Down - Nothing except regain control from failsafe.

In Naza mode S1:
Up - Ready-To-Fly GPS

Are we all in agreement?

Tnx

pjw73nh said:
Ok so to summarize, assuming stock from factory.

In Phantom mode S1:
Up - RTF GPS (assuming 6+Sats)
Mid - Nothing except regain control from failsafe.
Down - Nothing except regain control from failsafe.

In Naza mode S1:
Up - Ready-To-Fly GPS

Are we all in agreement?

Tnx

Not quite. The switch settings can be changed in the assist software. So it really depends what you chose for each. If you followed this excellent guide
http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/
you will have set
Naza S1
Up - GPS mode
Middle - Atti mode
Lower - Return to Home

Default Naza S1 Lower is Manual which is not recommended for obvious reasons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.