Conductive wire glue

My intent was not to insult.

I began my post : "With all due respect".

My qualifications mean no more that anything I or anyone else types here.
It's the soundness of the advice that matters. i.e. "Let the music do the talking".

You posted your results here and got both positive and negative feedback. That's life.

I have never opened up any product and found glue in place of solder or crimps. That should be a tell.

Please continue to create and seek new solutions but be open minded if those you show or tell are not as enthusiastic about it as you.

N017RW said:

It's the soundness of the advice that matters. i.e. "Let the music do the talking".

You posted your results here and got both positive and negative feedback. That's life.

I have never opened up any product and found glue in place of solder or crimps. That should be a tell.

Please continue to create and seek new solutions but be open minded if those you show or tell are not as enthusiastic about it as you.

Lol did you see Talladega Nights? I just flashed back to it with the "with all due respect" thing ;)

N017RW said:

All points taken. I have also never seen conductive wire glue used instead of a soldered connection in a factory-built product, but that wasn't the main gist of my post. Given the situation I encountered, I was merely trying to make a case that this glue could be a viable alternative to soldering when it comes to adding low-current devices like the Flytrex Live and LED headlight to a multirotor. Instead of carefully analyzing my photos and basing their anti-glue argument on solid engineering data, some people were quick to denounce my idea and even make somewhat outrageous claims that I should immediately ground my Phantom and remove this glue because of imminent fire hazard or catastrophic failure during a flight. I'm not saying these horrendous outcomes can't happen, but given the specifics of my case I think they are rather unlikely.

As far as people agreeing or disagreeing with me, that's part and parcel of a healthy debate. I enjoy a good debate, but when it comes to technical subjects I would hope all parties involved in the discussion would do their homework before posting their opinion. I've grown weary of all the expert "Internet lawyers" that we encounter when it comes to the FAA drone debate, so I was trying to avoid this same phenomenon from happening with my thread.

I'd still like to hear from a true-blue licensed electrical engineer who can provide a more rigorous analysis of my glue application and tell me if it's safe to let it be or should I immediately ground my bird and remove it because of inherent safety hazards to either human or machine. Any takers?

dirkclod said:
Now I know how all those folks from the NE fix their stuff, Radio Shack ! Down here in MS we just go to the hardware store and get a bottle of Gorilla Glue and a roll of Duck tape ! **** works great ;) I don't even have screws holding my shell together no more as I just wraps some tape around the arms and off she goes. Now once in awhile that tape might get to flapping but that's were that Gorilla glue comes in :D Now if I need some soldering done I will get ahold of one of these nice folks who offered to help if close or find someone close and have them do it then say Thank-You. ;) Wish we had a Radio Shack as I hate going to Wal-Mart all the time :lol:

The funny part is that I personally HATE Radio Shack because it seems like all they aspire to be these days is another cell phone store. I try to avoid that place like the plague because of the pushy idiots who work there and the extremly limited inventory of products. Up until the mid-90's, Radio Shack was a cool place where tech-heads could hang out and talk about interesting projects because they only hired knowledgable people who knew the entire inventory inside and out! I remember my uncle buying me a home radio station kit at RS around 1981 when I was 11 yrs. old and the store clerk educated me about every part in the kit and how it worked. I was amazed. Now, the typical employee who works there is a high school dropout who doesn't know what a voltmeter does. I weep for the future because this younger generation's only qualifications are how to post an inane Tweet or send a raunchy sext message. :(

Although I try not to "hate" as that emotion is not a healthy one. I do agree and understand the below statement and I wish it could be forwarded to Tandy Corp. (are they still Tandy corp). I remember Heathkit, my ex brother in law built a color TV in the early '70s, I built an AM radio in 1958 or so. It is sad that things are not as they were. But if you think about it, Phantom Pilots has replaced our need for salesmen to be knowledgeable about the products they sale. I think today Radio Shack, which can be a good local source for some parts, like ac adapters. makes most of their money from those cell phone sales, so I understand the changes. And remember the most constant thing in life is change.

And with all due respect, you are all great and I appreciate the time and effort that some of you put into your well thought out responses.

Ok, who wants to attend a soldering class. we could use skype and I could pass on my methods and also I could learn from others.

TimmyG94 said:
dirkclod said:
Now I know how all those folks from the NE fix their stuff, Radio Shack ! Down here in MS we just go to the hardware store and get a bottle of Gorilla Glue and a roll of Duck tape ! **** works great ;) I don't even have screws holding my shell together no more as I just wraps some tape around the arms and off she goes. Now once in awhile that tape might get to flapping but that's were that Gorilla glue comes in :D Now if I need some soldering done I will get ahold of one of these nice folks who offered to help if close or find someone close and have them do it then say Thank-You. ;) Wish we had a Radio Shack as I hate going to Wal-Mart all the time :lol:

The funny part is that I personally HATE Radio Shack because it seems like all they aspire to be these days is another cell phone store. I try to avoid that place like the plague because of the pushy idiots who work there and the extremly limited inventory of products. Up until the mid-90's, Radio Shack was a cool place where tech-heads could hang out and talk about interesting projects because they only hired knowledgable people who knew the entire inventory inside and out! I remember my uncle buying me a home radio station kit at RS around 1981 when I was 11 yrs. old and the store clerk educated me about every part in the kit and how it worked. I was amazed. Now, the typical employee who works there is a high school dropout who doesn't know what a voltmeter does. I weep for the future because this younger generation's only qualifications are how to post an inane Tweet or send a raunchy sext message. :(

Wow. After all the responses , you're still trying to justify the use of this stuff.
I see this product as an emergency, very temporary fix for a minor broken taillight wire in a car
But really ?? On a 3 pound flying machine?? I am happy to see new people enter this hobby, but learn to do things the right way, and don't try and justify your work as acceptable. Many here have offered to fix it for you however you still defend your absolutely horrible work. So when your Phantom falls from the sky in flames and does damage to property (hopefully not people) maybe you'll understand what you're dealing with. And then of course it will be blamed on. "These dangerous drones from China should be banned"
I fly UAS's commercially, and the talk in our industry, is " it's just a matter of time until all recreational rc aircraft will be restricted to approved model rc flight fields, and just keep doing what you're doing and you can proudly say you had a hand in the heavy regulations. GROUND THAT CRAFT UNTIL ITS AIR WORTHY !

AerialCinemaGuy said:
I see this product as an emergency, very temporary fix for a minor broken taillight wire in a car
But really ?? On a 3 pound flying machine?? I am happy to see new people enter this hobby, but learn to do things the right way, and don't try and justify your work as acceptable. Many here have offered to fix it for you however you still defend your absolutely horrible work. So when your Phantom falls from the sky in flames and does damage to property (hopefully not people) maybe you'll understand what you're dealing with. And then of course it will be blamed on. "These dangerous drones from China should be banned"
I fly UAS's commercially, and the talk in our industry, is " it's just a matter of time until all recreational rc aircraft will be restricted to approved model rc flight fields, and just keep doing what you're doing and you can proudly say you had a hand in the heavy regulations. GROUND THAT CRAFT UNTIL ITS AIR WORTHY !

Wow .... simply amazing how much misinformation and blatant lies are in your post. You broke some kind of world record with that one! :p

What's even more frightening is that you hold a job of "Air Operations Manager". Sort of like having Floyd Mayweather, Jr. teaching an Advanced Reading Skills class. :shock:

Wedeliver said:
I think today Radio Shack, which can be a good local source for some parts, like ac adapters. makes most of their money from those cell phone sales, so I understand the changes. And remember the most constant thing in life is change.

Apparently, Radio Shack isn't doing all that well after the transition to becoming a generic cell phone store:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/11/us-radioshack-results-idUSKBN0H61A220140911

I could care less, but it's probably time that a franchise like Radio Shack goes out of business. If they all want to be these days is a cell phone store, then I already see plenty of those on every street corner and strip mall. It'd be nice if they decided to be innovative and become a "UAV Superstore" since that would be a rapidly growing niche market they could exploit. But whoever accused corporate folks with a sheep mentality of being innovative? :lol:

I guess your option is not to shop there. Not sure why you want them out of business, seems a bit mean. If you hold your mouse over the first picture I have that Reel to Reel, sitting maybe 20' from me. gotta take a pic

http://reel2reeltexas.com/cat68RadioShack.html

TimmyG94 said:
Wedeliver said:
I think today Radio Shack, which can be a good local source for some parts, like ac adapters. makes most of their money from those cell phone sales, so I understand the changes. And remember the most constant thing in life is change.

Apparently, Radio Shack isn't doing all that well after the transition to becoming a generic cell phone store:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/11/us-radioshack-results-idUSKBN0H61A220140911

I could care less, but it's probably time that a franchise like Radio Shack goes out of business. If they all want to be these days is a cell phone store, then I already see plenty of those on every street corner and strip mall. It'd be nice if they decided to be innovative and become a "UAV Superstore" since that would be a rapidly growing niche market they could exploit. But whoever accused corporate folks with a sheep mentality of being innovative? :lol:

Please get you Bird soldered correctly - your fix whilst it works is a bodge and as such inherently problematic.

The conductive glue will have a resistance higher that a soldered connection and will generate heat and the connection will break down, in doing so it could have an adverse effect on the main connections.

Sure you have has some flight out of it since your "Fix", but, it will fail.

The flytrex connection is NEVER going to draw enough amperage to melt any thing with out the wires shorting out and in that case them tiny wires are going to melt way before the conductive glue does. and way before the big heavy leads would.
. Tho I would never recommenced using it hold the main leads on to the board with
out solder. eve tho it was very clear in the OP that he only used it to attack the flytrex leads to the existing soldered wires.

That stuff is very strong stuff and in most cases if you try to pull it off what ever its attached to will some times break before that stuff does. But for what it was used for its good stuff low amps and low voltage. and its got very high mechanical strength.

one draw back tho is if you even do need to resolder the main leads its going to be a real pain in the butt to get the old solder off or to resolder the main leads if you dont get all the conductive glue off first. and I would also recommend insulating it some way shape or form. such as liquid electrical tape or even some clear enamel nail polish. BTW they put a clear coating on them solder joints at dji which seems to be like nail polish and also glows purple under uv or sun light. That could of been why the attempt to solder was not working at first you need to usually flux the hell out of them and heat it till that stuff is burned off before the solder will flow again. Dirty solder just dont like to flow at all. But you must of burned some off if it even made a connection. Cause even when trying to get a test meter reading off any of the solder joints on the dji i need to stab the test probs points thew that coating to even get it to get a good reading. same as the wires on the escs

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31