Concerned about range . . .

vbluguitar said:
1000 feet? Man, I was over open farmland today and I couldn't get 100 feet away without the controller glitching and going into RTM mode, sometimes less than 50 feet away. Ironically the WiFi was working just fine. I was 15 miles from the nearest town so I am just flabbergasted.
Mine does the same thing, good video, but control lost at about 400 feet

I also have had "Control Signal Lost" problems on my DJI Phantom 2 Vision. I did the POT switch over to FCC, and also in the RC assistant software to no avail. I think the problem is they sent a 2.4 Ghz transmitter instead of a 5.8ghz transmitter. I noticed while plugging in the USB to the RC assistant Software to do the switch over to FCC, that the Radio Controller board said PHANTOM II 2.4 Ghz. For a DJI Phantom 2 Vision it's suppose to read 5.8Ghz. They must have somehow mixed up DJI Phantom 2(2.4GHZ) transmitters with DJI Phantom 2 Vision(5.8GHZ) at the factory causing a few of us a lot of headaches.

If you have a 2.4GHz controller then you would never get a connection with the 5.8GHz receiver in the Vision - wouldn't even be able to start up the motors, let alone fly it.

The circuit board is the same as the standard 2.4GHz transmitter, but the actual chip is a 5.8GHz one. There has been a wide range of performance reported with the Vision transmitters, though. Everywhere from just a few hundred feet out to well over 2000ft. Whether it's a manufacturing quality issue, a terrain issue or an interference issue as to why the big differences I don't know. If you are getting much less than the 500m range in an open area the specs state that you should be able to control over in FCC mode then it's probably worth contacting your dealer for a replacement transmitter...

I finally got a chance to get away from my woods and out to a big corn field and test distance for my P2V. Went away from me at 150ft up and 1050ft away before video stopped. First time I had it that far away from me. I had my real rough but functional sun shield on the phone so I could see where it was. Not really sure if I want to modify things and get any more distance away from me or not.
I got my strobes from flytron today. They ARE bright. Thinking of where to install. Will come up with something.

My normal range is 1000-1400 meters vertical, 600-1000 meters horizontal.
Standard Phantom 2 Vision, pot meter turned all the way to the right.
I live in a rural area.
For maximum range, the position of wifi amplifier and antenna are very important.
My max. altitude so far is 1456 meters, max range horizontal about 1100 m.

Pull_Up said:
1000ft on WiFi is pretty much to DJI spec for FCC mode.

The WiFi range and FCC mode of the controller have nothing to do with one another. WiFi spec is 300 meters or 1,000 feet and the 5.8ghz rf controller I think is spec at 500 meters in FCC mode tho mime goes to 1km in interference heavy areas. And more with antenna mod.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4