Concave Photo Appearance

Reaction score
Just started shooting some still shots with the Vision camera and notice the horizon in the photos has a concave appearance. This didn't appear in the promotional pictures shown on the DJI website, so I'm hoping there is a setting to correct this. Anybody know?

dutch_w said:
Just started shooting some still shots with the Vision camera and notice the horizon in the photos has a concave appearance. This didn't appear in the promotional pictures shown on the DJI website, so I'm hoping there is a setting to correct this. Anybody know?

Supposedly there will be an attachment for the camera to make lens equiv to about 40mm, to get away from the dreadful 'fisheye' look, but for now ....

The only manner to fix this is via software to do 'lens correction' on the 'raw' still photo (might be doable for jpegs - don't know - I am a raw shooter), you have to have this set on camera (any camera) before shooting, then you can 'theoretically' use software such as Lightroom, Photoshop, etc to 'fix' the lens curvature BUT I understand 'raw' is NOT producing files that can be processed by ANY photo software at the moment.

A f/w update will change the file extension (whatever it is now) to '.dng' which is an Adobe standard file - stands for 'digital negative'.

Once files are '.dng' then many photo processors can process the 'raw' file, but until someone creates a 'vision camera' lens profile, you will have to use the manual lens correction, which should be able to fix the curvature or at least greatly reduce it.

Warning, ALL lens correction ends up with a 'cropped' photo, due to the geometric corrections, photo would NOT be square edged any longer, so cropping is done for you, cropping amount is also dependent on how much 'correction' you perform, less correction, less cropping.

Good luck! Have fun in the 'fisheye' world of Vision !!

Actually, there is a way to alter the field of view in the camera settings. Page 39 of the User Manual:

Three Field of View (FOV) options are supported when shooting in 1920x1080 60i and 1920x1080 30p: Wide
(140°), Medium (120°) and Narrow (90°).

So, when you select either 1920x1080 60i or1920x1080 30p there will be a FOV wheel next to the resolution wheel. Just select which one suits you best. I think it also alters the FOV for stills as well, but I haven't checked that.

The FOV works great to take the fish eye out of the video but it does nothing for the still shots. If it can take it out of the video, it seems like it's so close to being able to take it out of the stills too. I use this unit for inspecting roofs that I can't get up on and most of my shots are going to be fairly close and the fish eye is certainly pronounced when close up shots are taken.

Would really like to find a way to be able to remove it.

I may just shoot video and snag still shots from the video.

It can be done in Photoshop CS5 - don't know about other versions. Click Filter>Lens Correction. It allows you to enter various camera makes and lenses. Had the best luck with Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, 8mm lens. You may need the latest version updates of Photoshop CS to see all the cameras. This doesn't completely fix it, but then there are controls on the top left that let you further level the image and remove the distortion. Takes a lot of trial and error. You can also skip putting in a camera make and lens, just use the controls, click OK, then repeat the process a time or 2 to get rid of the distortion.
Here is an original image (reduced in resolution):
http://www.pbase.com/mikeon/image/153354173
and here is one with distortion removed:
http://www.pbase.com/mikeon/image/153354170
You still have distortion around the edges.

Thanks all for the input. Tried the FOV, and it did not work on stills as noted. Started playing around with PS CS5, which seems promising. Will shoot some new shots in Raw versus JPEG and see what can be done. We shoot real estate photos and the concave view is not acceptable from a marketing perspective, which is a shame as the Vision and app are so easy to use. What's interesting is we started with a $495 Parrot AR, and even though the Vision is easier to control, the Parrot didn't have this "fisheye" issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub