Computer programs for editing our videos.

Reaction score
I am looking for a reasonable PC program for Windows 10 to somehow edit, add music, and save to be able to send the videos to family and friends without using YouTube and or Facebook.There are some videos on YouTube but I would like to see what Phantom 3 Standard folks here are using with great success.

I'm new to the Phantom 3 and as of yet have not done any editing with it. I have had a GoPro which I've used GoPro Studio. Will likely use this to start off with. Will be able to edit Phantom videos and combination Go Pro and Phantom.

FrankAN; I think you will be able to be sure to set the P3S video capture to the file format that GoPro Studio can use. You can select either MOV or MP4 formats on the P3S

A great free, and powerful, editing program is DaVinci Resolve. It has outstanding color correction, too.

Yes, it's advanced. But you can learn to get decent results pretty quickly by watching a couple of YouTube tutorials.

Reactions: gholland22
I'm a huge fan of HitFilm. You can use it for free, buy packs if you want even more stuff, or buy the pro version.

It is advances but a great way to cut videos.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I am looking for a reasonable PC program for Windows 10 to somehow edit, add music, and save to be able to send the videos to family and friends without using YouTube and or Facebook.There are some videos on YouTube but I would like to see what Phantom 3 Standard folks here are using with great success.

Camtasia is real good.

For straight simple editing - Windows Movie Maker .... its what I use .... has direct access to Free Music Archive as well as your own music ...

If you want to do more - then Movie Maker 2.6 ... also free and part of the Windows Live package.

If you want fancy editing - have a look at NCH software - all free for home use ....

With such programs - I cannot understand people paying for programs that basically do the same !

Nigel

A great free, and powerful, editing program is DaVinci Resolve. It has outstanding color correction, too.

Yes, it's advanced. But you can learn to get decent results pretty quickly by watching a couple of YouTube tutorials.

Are you serious ?

I have a Dual Processor, Win 10 machine that is pretty fast ... Bot oh Boy .... I downloaded DR 12.5 Free ..... all 401mb of it ... it insisted on loaded up extra sql programs ....

When I started it ... I went and had coffee waiting for it to load up AFTER going through their registration ...

WOW - do people really use such as this ???

OP asked for "reasonable PC program for Windows 10 to somehow edit, add music, and save to be able to send the videos to family and friends without using YouTube and or Facebook" ..... not a Hollywood Film Studio !!

I appreciate that for free its a mighty set of tools ... but really ...

Nigel

I appreciate that for free its a mighty set of tools ... but really

Why not? OP asked for options. - by "reasonable" it would be assumed that he means price as he did not say he wanted something that cost nothing.

Many can and do use it with great success - I'm happy to have an extra set of tools that cost me nothing. Surprisingly it wasn't all that hard to learn if one already has some basic knowledge of video editing tools.And the OP simply can uninstall it if it doesn't meet his needs or if his system can't run it.

I'm all for getting the best whether free or paid ... but having launched DR and waited for it to load up on a fast machine ... WOW - I thought Microsoft could beat all ... but MS has a rival in Bloatware !!

Sorry but unless a person has a singing all dancing high end machine .... its too much.

That's my opinion after installing and trying it. I'm back to plain old Movie Maker !! Loads in about 10 secs ... and does a reasonable job for nothing ...

Nigel

unless a person has a singing all dancing high end machine .... its too much.
Let's check that now .... loads DVR in 11s on my mid spec core i5 pc (nowhere close to high end) built about 3-4 years ago. Sorry but a dual core machine would not be classed as 'fast' these days for video editing purposes..

You're happy using MM - that's great - but I'll let OP come to his own conclusions about the software once he's tried it.

He may well decide that MM is all he needs. I have no interest in pushing the software other than to say I'm quite happy with it. Indeed I prefer using this than my (by now a couple of generations old) paid copy of premiere elements..

Last edited:
My Lenovo is a Pro machine and late model Dual ... produced for serious work and games ... not the crappy Dual Core you probably think of marketed a few years back. I need a fast machine for all the Fuel Blending etc. I do.

As you say - its OP choice ...

I will say this - if one gets used to a higher spec editor and then looks at MM - then you think ... UGH - what's this crap. But it does it without having to learn about frames and time lines etc.

For a full function editor - NCH software for Home Use is same as their Pro version ... with all the frame and time line crap you could ever want. I have it for other work - but for this ? I rarely resort to it.

Blimey - I can remember video editing by lines !!

Nigel

No it is so slow - its abyssmal ... sorry but that's the truth ... it runs but start up is so slow ...

Timed start ... seconds are to the end of the named part :

Starting up screen 15 secs
Control Surface 35 secs
Project setting 40 secs
Colour 50 secs
Waveform 65 secs
to getting to project manager screen to create new or open old took 75 secs.

I am ready to alter it if there is a way to get it to load quicker - but as an exercise to see if it can be speeded up.

I will uninstall it ... clean up and then re-install and see if any difference ...

Nigel

Yeah, definitely something isn't quite right - I get to the waveform in about 20+s including loading up a project.

Are you serious ?

I have a Dual Processor, Win 10 machine that is pretty fast ... Bot oh Boy .... I downloaded DR 12.5 Free ..... all 401mb of it ... it insisted on loaded up extra sql programs ....

When I started it ... I went and had coffee waiting for it to load up AFTER going through their registration ...

WOW - do people really use such as this ???

OP asked for "reasonable PC program for Windows 10 to somehow edit, add music, and save to be able to send the videos to family and friends without using YouTube and or Facebook" ..... not a Hollywood Film Studio !!

I appreciate that for free its a mighty set of tools ... but really ...

Nigel
I have a seven-year-old Dell desktop, off-the-shelf from Best Buy, with a middle-of-the-road quad-core 2.4 GHz processor (I did upgrade to 8 GB of RAM about four years ago) running Windows 10 and it handles DaVinci Resolve just fine.

I'll check startup times when I'm home later, but it doesn't take any longer than Premiere Pro or Photoshop or any other major piece of software.

The advantage, apart from being free, is that a user can start with the basics and grow as they get more advanced.

I certainly won't go back to an editing program that doesn't have great color correction built in.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20