Complete shutdown Phantom P 3 and crash from 20 Meters

They need to make a change to this CSC mid flight. If they have to keep the feature it should be activated in a way that is far less likely to be triggered while flying

I suppose if I were new to this I would be worried about doing a CSC accidentally as well. But now that I've been doing it for a while I recognize that it's just not something you would ever do.

It's like driving down the highway at 60MPH and flinging the steering wheel full lock to the right while flooring the gas at the same time.

It might be understandable if you're Ken Block in a rally car, otherwise it's just insane. The Phantom is not a rally car. Don't drive it like one.

They need to make a change to this CSC mid flight. If they have to keep the feature it should be activated in a way that is far less likely to be triggered while flying

I agree. They should make it a maneuver like you're trying to screw it into the ground at full speed. Oh wait, that's what it is now.

Reactions: ianwood
To me the P2 manual was vague on when CSC can be initiated, and when holding down left stick would shut down motors. So for longest time I was afraid to descend by holding stick down more than a couple of seconds , but later learned thru the forum holding down left stick will not shut motors down until it stops descending for 2-3 seconds. But I often while descending I want to turn, or move forward, backward, sideways while filming and because of the CSC fear I always let up on the left stick before using right stick, and end up with abrupt movements in the video (for my liking). As someone mentioned before, the CSC (in the nuclear industry we call this the "scram" button) needs to be anything but the control sticks. Present CSC initiation limits maneuvering when descending. I crash into enough things for all kinds of errors I make as it is. This is like a car that explodes because of making a hard right turn while letting off the gas.

Reactions: rickeyfitts
There is no doubt that CSC will stop the motors in mid-air.
DJI is pretty clear about that in the manual and there are a small number of incidents where pilots have done it for one reason or another and confirmed what the manual states.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

Dji is really confusing. In method one pushing the down throttle cuts the motor when landed. But that's method 2! Is it not?

Also, is method one immediate or 3 seconds? Because if it's immediate like the guide suggests it's really dumb. Either way it's not clear and not smart.

Why not switch to function mode then csc or something like that

I fly mini quads indoors and csc on a regular basis.. Granted a phantom should not be flown like an indoor mini quad but it shouldn't fall down from the sky either.

I would guess if someone was doing a hand catch of the Phantom this is how you would turn off the motors.

Need 3 hands to do that!

Need 3 hands to do that!
I meant if someone was catching for you.

But someone else mentioned they do their own hand catch shutting off the motors with left stick down only and it works because the Phantom does not descend any farther and thinks it's on the ground.

If there is such thing as a safety CSC for emergency situations, then also it should be a parachute of some kind activated.
No mater if you initiate CSC by mistake or to avoid some collision, dron simply goes down at high acceleration. And that can be even more dangerous if there are crowd on the ground (or just few people), vehicles on the road, or "just" houses. Don't tell me you never fly over such things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aniken
Sheesh. CSC is a part of your aircraft. Know it. Avoid full throw stick movements, it just doesn't make for good aerials.

An operator would have to be flying along at full speed, maybe in course or home lock IOC, and have the left stick in a full throw diagonal position. Ok, I can see that. But, to also have full climb or full descend commanded while yawing like a spinning top? That is something I can't see a knowledgeable operator doing, unless they were screwing around.
FWIW, after 15 months of flying, I haven't managed an accidental CSC yet.

This is a flying robot, equipped with a "kill switch" function. Screw around at your own risk, but please don't ask DJI to remove the kill switch.

I wonder if the software in the P3 for normal shutdown could mistake an altitude error in a way that it thinks the pilot is asking for a motor shutdown. The software is making the following logic choice. Pilot is commanding max descent rate unless the software decides the Phantom is no longer descending, or the altitude is not dropping. IF the left stick is full down AND the altitude is not dropping based on GPS or VPS, THEN kill the motors. So a faulty VPS reading might fool the software to assume the pilot is asking to trigger a motor shutdown if the left throttle is held full down! Motors will shut off at any altitude, so if you land on the roof of a tall building you can shut down the props. Same with a ground takeoff but hand catch landing....motors will shut down because altitude stops dropping.

We may want to avoid full down throttle for long periods. I think there are a lot of Phantom owners worried the VPS software or sensor has some issues that create other weird problems with altitude stability or reliability.
Thanks for that but I am now having trouble getting to the bottom of this through the flight logs. Do you know how to get more info out of them. i can get into the Flight Record but I cant see there what has happened or am I looking in the wrong place.

I had an idea, what if you made some round inserts to fit in the holes where the joysticks are and make an oval cutout in them that would prevent one of the sticks from going all the way down. You may not be able to descend as fast but at least you couldn't preform a CSC.

I had an idea, what if you made some round inserts to fit in the holes where the joysticks are and make an oval cutout in them that would prevent one of the sticks from going all the way down.
Or, something like this?

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Doubt that you accidently did a CSC have to hold them for 3 seconds. Long time whe in flight. BTWeautiful picture.. Like a post card.
A csc is immediately , not 3 seconds ! But it does take 3 seconds to shut off the motors when pressing the left stick down and the phantom is no longer losing altitude either because it's on the ground or hand caught .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers