Complete shutdown Phantom P 3 and crash from 20 Meters

Read his post again. The whole thing.
See my reply to msinger. I've read it several times, and I know what he said. "I executed a CSC", and I don't think I'm taking that out of context.
If he ever responds we could ask him personally, until we can I'm not going to waste time on semantics and interpretation.

How many people have to tell you that you before you figure that perhaps you got it wrong?
I've seen your replies to everyone and think you are way off.
The OP's post was quite clear and unambiguous.

Reactions: Oso
I'm wondering why you would want to do a CSC when it's still aloft? A CSC will kill the motors and of course it'll drop out of the sky. I think you've proved a CSC does work in midair!
I would guess if someone was doing a hand catch of the Phantom this is how you would turn off the motors. I personally never plan on doing a hand catch or asking anyone to hand catch my Phantom. Looks to dangerous.

I would guess if someone was doing a hand catch of the Phantom this is how you would turn off the motors. I personally never plan on doing a hand catch or asking anyone to hand catch my Phantom. Looks to dangerous.

I find hand catching incredibly safe and simple, i fear for my phantom during ground landings - Adam

Reactions: Bigdz and snowghost
I am trying to understand why we are hearing about mid flight CSC? This is not a new feature to the Phantoms which suddenly changed, so what gives?

Why/how would someone activate a CSC inflight?

1) Didn't read the owners manual?
2) A Test?
3) Game player?

I'm leaning towards #3 in most instances, as anyone who has prior RC experience knows to keep sticks close to center for smooth flight characteristics.

See my reply to msinger. I've read it several times, and I know what he said. "I executed a CSC", and I don't think I'm taking that out of context.
If he ever responds we could ask him personally, until we can I'm not going to waste time on semantics and interpretation.

I did. "and I don't think I'm taking that out of context". Still laughing at that one.

It's not semantics or interpretation, it's reading comprehension. A lost art on Sunday mornings apparently.

I find hand catching incredibly safe and simple, i fear for my phantom during ground landings - Adam

Yes do it with both the P2 and P3 99.9% of the time. Especially if wind is gusting.

The fact that so many new fliers are totally confused by this is clear evidence that the manual does not go far enough. There is only one sentence of warning, which in my opinion is not enough given the catastrophic results to equipment, property, and people.

It is far too easy to overlook that one sentence, even if you RTFM. I have written to DJI several times with a recommendation that they put much more in the manual on this topic.

Last edited:
The fact that so many new fliers are totally confused by this is clear evidence that the manual does not go far enough. There is only one sentence of warning, which in my opinion is not enough given the catastrophic results that can result to equipment, property, and people.

It is far too easy to overlook that one sentence, even if you RTFM. I have written to DJI several times with a recommendation that they put much more in the manual on this topic.
I think it's clear evidence of some other phenomena.

The CSC function and warning in the manual has been pretty much the same since the Phantom 1. Further warnings in the manual cannot repair operator error/bad habits.

I think it's clear evidence of some other phenomena.

The CSC function and warning in the manual has been pretty much the same since the Phantom 1. Further warnings in the manual cannot repair operator error/bad habits.
My guess is that new fliers who bought P3s haven't seen it in the manual since the P1 days. Old timers who have moved from P1 to P2 to P3 have no excuse at all. I agree on that.

Even so, something so potentially devastating should have more than one sentence, even back when the P1 was new.

Reactions: dalebb
I stay away from that control combination like the plague, auto take-off and hand catch every time when conditions permit, which is most of the time. If he was descending at full throttle, and then did his turn while backing up then yep, that's a CSC and it would drop like a rock. DJI needs to put a BIG RED box around that instruction in the PDF, too many new pilots are in a big hurry to get into the air and just skim the manual.

I stay away from that control combination like the plague, auto take-off and hand catch every time when conditions permit, which is most of the time. If he was descending at full throttle, and then did his turn while backing up then yep, that's a CSC and it would drop like a rock. DJI needs to put a BIG RED box around that instruction in the PDF, too many new pilots are in a big hurry to get into the air and just skim the manual.

Nope, you left out 100% left or right, at the same time.

100%: Yaw, L/R, Reverse, throttle down. Skim the manual, pay the price.
The manual is not the problem.

Reactions: F6Rider
I wonder if the software in the P3 for normal shutdown could mistake an altitude error in a way that it thinks the pilot is asking for a motor shutdown. The software is making the following logic choice. Pilot is commanding max descent rate unless the software decides the Phantom is no longer descending, or the altitude is not dropping. IF the left stick is full down AND the altitude is not dropping based on GPS or VPS, THEN kill the motors. So a faulty VPS reading might fool the software to assume the pilot is asking to trigger a motor shutdown if the left throttle is held full down! Motors will shut off at any altitude, so if you land on the roof of a tall building you can shut down the props. Same with a ground takeoff but hand catch landing....motors will shut down because altitude stops dropping.

We may want to avoid full down throttle for long periods. I think there are a lot of Phantom owners worried the VPS software or sensor has some issues that create other weird problems with altitude stability or reliability.

If the P3 is the same as the P2's, it is the barometer that determines whether the bird has landed. GPS doesn't know altitude.

VPS is not involved either.

I'm truly amazed that people can be opposed to adding a level of safety by more clearly highlighting a potentially devastating situation in the manual. Especially a situation that seems to happen on a regular basis.

Stick movements can stop the motors in flight and cause a P3 to drop like a rock, maybe on a person. To me, it's a no brainier to have that possibility more clearly and perhaps even repeatedly highlighted in the manual so it doesn't get missed.

Sure of course any pilot should read and understand every single word cover to cover, but nobody should be naive enough to think that happens all of the time. Also, I'm not naive enough to think that some wont do silly things even if they know the danger.

Maybe it's just me, but since these quads are overhead I don't mind pushing to add a level of safety for my family and for your family.

Last edited:
I'm truly amazed that people can be opposed to adding a level of safety by more clearly highlighting a potentially devastating situation in the manual.
Especially a situation that seems to happen on a regular basis.
It sounds bad when you put it like that.
But CSC in flight is very rare. It isn't happening anywhere near as frequently as you imagine.
It seems to happen on a regular basis because people keep discussing it at any chance.
For example in this case, there still is no evidence that is what happened, but it's all anyone wants to talk about.

Reactions: Oso
It sounds bad when you put it like that.
But CSC in flight is very rare. It isn't happening anywhere near as frequently as you imagine.
It seems to happen on a regular basis because people keep discussing it at any chance.
For example in this case, there still is no evidence that is what happened, but it's all anyone wants to talk about.
You keep saying this is very rare. It is not. If it was I would still have a P3A. This is a flying camera and as such sometimes we lead boats flying backwards and if we come into a turn and need to shift to the side, drop down, and rotate the bird shuts down and is in the drink.

Sorry Dale .... it's exciting and gets lots of chatter on forums but ... hundreds of thousands of Phantoms sold - only a few cases of CSC mid-flight and very few of them are accidental.
That's rare.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic