Complete Power Failure V2+

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have my PV2+ now for a week and after my 7th flight i decided to upgrade to version 3.02 because DJI say everywhere how important it is to be on the latest version.
After the update i did everything like we read here and is in the manual like correct calibration.
Green lights (Phantom mode), takeoff and somewhere around 5/7 meters it just fel as a stone out of the sky a complete power outage.
I took it home, and it was going on i connected it to the assistant software to see if i have some battery readings, now the battery say :

NON Dji intelligent Battery

Gimbal is not straight anymore, and i have no idea what more could be broken i still have a picture on the APP but it say the gimbal is blocked.
I was just taking off for some pictures so i have no recording of this event, my local dutch supplier say it is going to take weeks before DJI is going to take a look at it and whitout any footage they can say whatever they want of course.

What kind of tips could you give me how to deal with a situation like this ?
Here is some more information i could collect out of the RC and Assistant software :

Main Controller 29.0.2.1 / firmware 3.02
GPS Firmware 6.0.1.4
Reciever 5.8G 1.0.1.3
P330CB 26.0.0.0 / Firmware 1.0.1.27
Battery 1.5.0.0 / Firmware 2.0.0.0
Zen IMU 0.0.0.8 / Firmware 1.0.0.4

Phantom mode / CE

Any tips ?

Heico

Attachments

• 20140514_142945.jpg
    20140514_142945.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 20140514_143002.jpg
    20140514_143002.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Screenshot_2014-05-14-14-32-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-14-14-32-27.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,004
At what dutch supplier did you bought your phantom? I have no issues what so ever. I updated to the new firmware as soon as i got the phantom.

The supplier is V-NIX (www.v-nix.nl), i'm not here telling this story to say that the supplier is not good. (however i read that some suppliers take it back and do not wait for any DJI conclussion and just take care of the customer)
They will recieve the phantom in a vew days and then it will go for repairs to DJI, i'm more interested in what i can do best.
Power failures, or hardware failures are happening but if you have footage DJI can't deny, i'm just trying to find out how i can provide the maximum of information so that i can get the PV2+ fixed a.s.a.p under guarantee.
Maybe there are some people here who experienced the same kind of failures and went to this process already.

Heico

Unfortunately even if you were recording video at the time of a heavy crash it will either not finalise or you will be missing the last part of the video just before the crash. Very convenient for dji of course. I had a complete power failure on my pv2, brought it back to my dealer who then sent it off to dji germany on an RMA number and I got it back 3 weeks later fixed under warranty.

Thank you for you answer, i was not very high so i hope the real damage is not to bad.
I don't want to try anything with it at the moment because i don't know what parts are damaged inside.
Did you also have seen the message non intellegent DJI Battery, maybe it had nothing do to with it but in my case it looks like it has something to do with it.
Was there some footage you could provide, or did they asked for any extra information like readings from the battery or something else.
Then i can provide this before, and not wait till they ask.
I hope my case ends like yours !

Heico

The non intelligent battery warning has often come up as a warning after pv2 crashes, I dont think its a battery failure but more likely the phantom board cant read the battery properly after getting the bang. The battery is probably fine but there is also the worry that after a crash a lipo battery can become unstable and become a fire hazard

dronehike said:
Hello all,

I have my PV2+ now for a week and after my 7th flight i decided to upgrade to version 3.02 because DJI say everywhere how important it is to be on the latest version.
After the update i did everything like we read here and is in the manual like correct calibration.
Green lights (Phantom mode), takeoff and somewhere around 5/7 meters it just fel as a stone out of the sky a complete power outage.
I took it home, and it was going on i connected it to the assistant software to see if i have some battery readings, now the battery say :

Gimbal is not straight anymore, and i have no idea what more could be broken i still have a picture on the APP but it say the gimbal is blocked.
I was just taking off for some pictures so i have no recording of this event, my local dutch supplier say it is going to take weeks before DJI is going to take a look at it and whitout any footage they can say whatever they want of course.

Here is some more information i could collect out of the RC and Assistant software :

GPS Firmware 6.0.1.4
Reciever 5.8G 1.0.1.3

Phantom mode / CE

Any tips ?

Heico

Just out of curiosity did it fall straight down and land on the feet or did it come down at an angle? From the damage to your gimbal it appears that I came down on an angle.

dronehike said:
Hello all,

GPS Firmware 6.0.1.4
Reciever 5.8G 1.0.1.3

Phantom mode / CE

Any tips ?

Heico

Join the club... I'm starting to get real p***ed off with DJI. Mine also fell out of the sky after 40sec in the air resulting in total loss of gimbal/camera. I had sent numerous emails to DJI & last night finally got a reply, it said:

Hello sir, please check when open box, if faulty contact DJI customer support.

That was it... Didn't answer any question, didn't offer to investigate the crash, no apology, nothing. basically said tough s**t...

i purchased through BH out of new york and they have been great for the exchanges. both failures have come after the update. this next one is not going to get an update. the first one never seen the air. during the update the gimbal started freaking out and never stopped. 30 mins into it i pulled the battery and tried to do the update again with a successful message but as soon as i did the power cycle the gimbal started bouncing around. sent it back and got a new one. flew it out of the box just fine. brought it back in, did the update and the next day went to go show the neighbor kids what it did. calibrated the compass with a fresh battery, waited for gps lock and started to climb. at about 25 feet it was like someone shot it like a duck. no power and she came crashing down. went to go try and catch it but not quick enough. powered it off and back on and it is like it is stuck in update mode....so i called and they said to send it back....hopefully #3 will be good. if not, im holding off until DJI gets their crap together....ive been flying rc copters and planes for 15 years and am very detailed. i guarantee no pilot error. for the guys who have played with these drones for awhile can you get the full tilt down with a go pro set up?

tpeterson421 said:
i purchased through BH out of new york and they have been great for the exchanges. both failures have come after the update. this next one is not going to get an update. the first one never seen the air. during the update the gimbal started freaking out and never stopped. 30 mins into it i pulled the battery and tried to do the update again with a successful message but as soon as i did the power cycle the gimbal started bouncing around. sent it back and got a new one. flew it out of the box just fine. brought it back in, did the update and the next day went to go show the neighbor kids what it did. calibrated the compass with a fresh battery, waited for gps lock and started to climb. at about 25 feet it was like someone shot it like a duck. no power and she came crashing down. went to go try and catch it but not quick enough. powered it off and back on and it is like it is stuck in update mode....so i called and they said to send it back....hopefully #3 will be good. if not, im holding off until DJI gets their crap together....ive been flying rc copters and planes for 15 years and am very detailed. i guarantee no pilot error. for the guys who have played with these drones for awhile can you get the full tilt down with a go pro set up?

I'm in the same boat. Not new to the RC world and mine just flew off.

Lets hope that DJI steps up and takes care of us.

Hello everybody, I just wanted to let everybody knows that you must be careful: Mine just felt off of the sky free fall and crashed badly.... that was my first fly with it, my battery was at 91 percent (first fly but it was my second battery, i used the first one until 25 percent) I did exactly everything they ask for before flying, I read all instructions three times to be sure to know the maximum that I could about it.
I was flying at 20 meters, I was going down at normal speed when suddenly all motors stopped and it crashed maybe from 20 meters....
My camera and gimbaled are broken, the lens is actually out of the gimbaled, my landing support are badly bent.... I don't know yet if something broke inside the phantom, it just happened. I'm waiting an answer from dji Support...
Does anybody know if it is because of the update 3.02 ?

1peace said:
Hello everybody, I just wanted to let everybody knows that you must be careful: Mine just felt off of the sky free fall and crashed badly.... that was my first fly with it, my battery was at 91 percent (first fly but it was my second battery, i used the first one until 25 percent) I did exactly everything they ask for before flying, I read all instructions three times to be sure to know the maximum that I could about it.
I was flying at 20 meters, I was going down at normal speed when suddenly all motors stopped and it crashed maybe from 20 meters....
My camera and gimbaled are broken, the lens is actually out of the gimbaled, my landing support are badly bent.... I don't know yet if something broke inside the phantom, it just happened. I'm waiting an answer from dji Support...
Does anybody know if it is because of the update 3.02 ?

OMG... Another one! This is getting ridiculous. Mine fell out of the sky 4 days ago resulting in total loss of gimbal/camera & landing gear bent at 90deg angles.
Contacted DJI customer support and they replied just yesterday with this:

"Hello sir, please check when open box. If faulty contact DJI customer support." That was it, some support eh?

re: Complete Power Failure V2+ / The plot thickens...

Hi everyone, just a bit of an update, some of you may have read my posts about my P2V+ falling out of the sky 4 days ago resulting in complete loss of gimbal/camera & landing gear. Well, I removed the wrecked gimbal/camera & replaced the landing gear. Removed the top to see inside. Couldn't see anything out of place. Put it back together, charged up the battery & took it out to see if it would fly. When it took off I let it hover in one place about 8ft off the ground for almost 15min. I was just about to light a cigarette and the motors stopped. I ran toward it and luckily caught it by the landing gear before it hit the ground. So there is something shutting the power off. Took it home & updated the firmware to 3.04, charged the battery & took it back to the park. Again I let it hover for almost 20min about 6ft off the ground. Landed it, changed out the battery & thought stuff it, if it crashes it crashes. I flew it as far & as high as my eyesight would allow (No camera anymore) for about 15mins, no problems & the battery still had 2 green lights.
So now I'm wondering if it was the previous firmware?

**Also received a reply to my numerous emails to DJI Customer Support, they said:

"Hello sir, please check when open box. If faulty contact DJI customer support." That was it. Didn't acknowledge any of the questions I asked in regards to a faulty unit or replacing/repairing it, nothing. So what to do next??

Thank you everybody for your reply's.

I did not bought directly from DJI, but the automatic respondse DJI give is very strange and unprofessional.
So we have several people reporting the same problems, and there are hopefully much more people experiencing no failures at all.
Maybe we can try to figure out what kind of similarities we can discover when this happend, and you can include the link of the thread when you start communicating with DJI or your supplier.
I posted on the first page what my readings are in the assistent software.

Quick overview :

- Updated from 3.0 to 3.02
- Battery fully charged
- Calibrated before flight
- GPS lock at takeoff 7 Sat
- Not recording
- CE mode transmitter
- Phantom mode
- Crashed after update to 3.02 on First flight
- Distance from transmitter 10 meters when lost power 30 seconds in the air.
- Have Non intelligent DJI Battery now when i connect to software now.

Having your engine crashing during your first flight makes you feel a bit stupid! But i know i did nothing wrong....
Dji replied to me asking to send them a screenshot of my update tab what I did (3.02). I'm waiting their answer and let you know...

Sorry to hear about your crash and problems, Dronehike. :(

I am really becoming more frightened with each disaster story I read. I have yet to fly my bird and I've had it for nearly a week now. I was planning on attempting a maiden flight this weekend if the weather is good, but now I'm thinking it will remain grounded until the dust settles. :(

I just read the thread from the guy who is developing and making those gimbal guards and I think I need one of those as well.

I just don't think I'm prepared to have a $1500 bird crash and burn and possibly through not fault of my own. And considering that the DJI support is apparently very bad with customer service, replacement parts etc.....I'm feeling very uneasy about flying it.

Sasquatch said:
Sorry to hear about your crash and problems, Dronehike. :(

I am really becoming more frightened with each disaster story I read. I have yet to fly my bird and I've had it for nearly a week now. I was planning on attempting a maiden flight this weekend if the weather is good, but now I'm thinking it will remain grounded until the dust settles. :( I just read the thread from the guy who is developing and making those gimbal guards and I think I need one of those as well. I just don't think I'm prepared to have a $1500 bird crash and burn and possibly through not fault of my own. And considering that the DJI support is apparently very bad with customer service, replacement parts etc.....I'm feeling very uneasy about flying it.

Just an honest opinion. You should fly your Phantom. You might jump in your car tomorrow, blow a tire on the freeway, roll and die. If its going to happen, it will happen. With all due respect to the gimbal guard maker, in a hard crash, it won't save your gimbal. Odds are your Phantom is going to be just fine. Just make sure you understand the aircraft, follow all the pre-flight steps. and enjoy. Go easy at first....be precise NOT fast. If you want an extra level of security, have someone use a video recorder to record your flight in case something goes wrong. The Phantom was made to fly. Right now your's is just an expensive display piece.

Is it just me or does this latest rash of failures, flyaways and sudden power loss seem to have occured after the last firmware update ?? Beginning to wonder if there is an inherant conflict somewhere between the firmware update and the hardware ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1