Complete newbie with lots of questions.

Reaction score
I started a year and a half ago with a ar drone 2.0. I modded the thing, got a dx8 controller for it and tried to get good at flying it. I was very unsatisfied. The drone would drift everywhere and go crazy for no reason at times. And unless there was no wind at all, forget about even flying the thing. So I sold it, and took a break from flying and just played with my cars again. I met an older gentleman and his friend who flew phantom visions and they let me fly again. Wow was I impressed with the vision. It was on an entire different level compared to my drone. I've been on the forums browsing for 2-3 months trying to get better with my vision. Fortunately, I have never crashed mine. I've done lots of reading and searches and still so puzzled with this thing. My only complaint is the drifting issue. With no wind it only drifts about 5 feet or so, with any wind it's much larger. I've read about adjusting gains but haven't found where to adjust those things. I calibrated the vision right out of the box, and I have tried to recalibrate it with no luck. It won't go into calibration mode. I have never plugged the vision into a computer and am running 1.0.37, camera n/a and naza/m na. Would anyone be willing to call me and talk me through a couple of things? I've heard about 3.0 having issues, so I didn't want to update it. Can I update it to a slightly newer edition without going to 3.0? In florida, it's always windy, so my only complaint is not having a gimbal and the vision being very shaky. Other than that, being a newbie and flying it right out of the box, I couldn't be happier. Also, how strong of winds are safe to operate in? 5-10? Obviously the calmer the day the better the flight, I'm just always nervous of the wind flipping it or pushing it into a tree or something

Bucsfanatic59 said:
I calibrated the vision right out of the box, and I have tried to recalibrate it with no luck. It won't go into calibration mode. I have never plugged the vision into a computer...

How did you calibrate IMU without connecting to a computer?

AnselA said:
Bucsfanatic59 said:
I calibrated the vision right out of the box, and I have tried to recalibrate it with no luck. It won't go into calibration mode. I have never plugged the vision into a computer...

It came with instructions how to turn it on its side and flip a a switch on the top right 10 times. It flashed green, I assumed it was calibrated lol

From the description you are not in GPS mode and that's why you are having the drift and shakiness. You need to re-read the manual and follow the GPS calibration procedure and then make sure you have at least 6 satellite lockup. that should fix a number of your complaints.

[**Steve**] said:
From the description you are not in GPS mode and that's why you are having the drift and shakiness. You need to re-read the manual and follow the GPS calibration procedure and then make sure you have at least 6 satellite lockup. that should fix a number of your complaints.

That all from linking it to a computer?

Bucsfanatic59 said:
AnselA said:
Bucsfanatic59 said:

It came with instructions how to turn it on its side and flip a a switch on the top right 10 times. It flashed green, I assumed it was calibrated lol

That's compass calibration

Would someone in the U.S. who knows a lot about these and how to set them up properly talk to me over the phone for a few?

lardaz95 said:
download the latest user manual from DJI - plenty of youtube videos also

I have done both. I've literally spent hours and hours trying to figure this thing out. I've watched YouTube videos as well, some have been helpful, most have not. It's not like I bought this thing, turned it on and flew it. I spent 2 months or so reading on it before I bought one.m

Also, when I fly I have 2 green LEDs, and 2 red. I thought this was normal but they all should be green. What's mine saying?

Bucsfanatic59 said:
Also, when I fly I have 2 green LEDs, and 2 red. I thought this was normal but they all should be green. What's mine saying?

no, that is normal. I would suggest you hook it up to your computer and launch the phantom assistant GUI and do an IMU calibration. After that, go into an open field away from magnetic interference and do another compass calibration. there is no such thing as a GPS calibration.

tizzl10 said:
Bucsfanatic59 said:

no, that is normal. I would suggest you hook it up to your computer and launch the phantom assistant GUI and do an IMU calibration. After that, go into an open field away from magnetic interference and do another compass calibration. there is no such thing as a GPS calibration.

Thanks. I'll try that. I don't have any firmware for the camera either. I just don't want to upgrade and have restrictions, and some upgrades require others so you don't have issues I've read. Any suggestions on how to set it up without restrictions? I'm on app version 1.0.37 and camera and naza-m are N/A.

Bucsfanatic59 said:
tizzl10 said:
Bucsfanatic59 said:

Thanks. I'll try that. I don't have any firmware for the camera either. I just don't want to upgrade and have restrictions, and some upgrades require others so you don't have issues I've read. Any suggestions on how to set it up without restrictions?

noooo no no no..do not do the upgrade..just hook it up to your computer and do the IMU calibration (advanced), then do your compass calibration. no need to upgrade. (make sure you do your compass calibration outside in an open area)

noooo no no no..do not do the upgrade..just hook it up to your computer and do the IMU calibration (advanced), then do your compass calibration. no need to upgrade.[/quote]

Thanks, how about the camera for better quality? I'm trying to sell it to get a plus, only because it's always windy in florida so pictures and video are very shaky. But I won't give it away and if it doesn't sell I'll just keep it.

Bucsfanatic59 said:
noooo no no no..do not do the upgrade..just hook it up to your computer and do the IMU calibration (advanced), then do your compass calibration. no need to upgrade.

Thanks, how about the camera for better quality? I'm trying to sell it to get a plus, only because it's always windy in florida so pictures and video are very shaky. But I won't give it away and if it doesn't sell I'll just keep it.[/quote]

you can surely upgrade to a plus, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money just get a 2 axis gimbal. plenty of threads on that here..do your research as I don't want to sway you toward one way or another. personally, I have a taco rc 2 axis gimbal but have a plus enroute. going to keep both.

you can surely upgrade to a plus, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money just get a 2 axis gimbal. plenty of threads on that here..do your research as I don't want to sway you toward one way or another. personally, I have a taco rc 2 axis gimbal but have a plus enroute. going to keep both.[/quote]

The 2axis gimbals are 400 bucks,so if I can get a decent price for my vision I'll let it go to get the 3 axis with the vision plus. What version are you running for the camera? And do you have any gains adjusted to get rid of yaw drifting?

Bucsfanatic59 said:
you can surely upgrade to a plus, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money just get a 2 axis gimbal. plenty of threads on that here..do your research as I don't want to sway you toward one way or another. personally, I have a taco rc 2 axis gimbal but have a plus enroute. going to keep both.

The 2axis gimbals are 400 bucks,so if I can get a decent price for my vision I'll let it go to get the 3 axis with the vision plus. What version are you running for the camera? And do you have any gains adjusted to get rid of yaw drifting?[/quote]

no, the RP gimbal is 400. im using the taco rc gimbal on my current vision. the yaw drifting is no longer an issue with the v3 taco gimbal as far as I know. I just recently installed the v3 eggshell holder but haven't had a chance to test it out correctly yet. short test outside but wind was crazy with 30 mph gusts, however as far as I can tell it is better. all of the tacos gimbal ship with v3 now so you wont have to worry about it..or you can pay 400+ for the RP and wait for 3 months for them to ship it..your choice lol.

Bucsfanatic59 said:

The leds on the FRONT arms will always stay solid red when flying. Its only the rear arm leds that indicate stuff. Single flashing green on the rear arms is all systems go, ie 6+ sats locked.

So I downloaded phantom 2 vision assistant software 2.0. There's no restrictions for that right? There was a 3.0, a 1.1 and a 1.1.9 also. Were one if those better?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers