Compass

So, what about if you are on a boat? (not to hijack here) Can't calibrate in the water... can I do it on my boat? I have a 2014 29' Rinker cruiser. I don't have a generator, so I won't have power running through the boat while calibrating. -=Mike G.

So, what about if you are on a boat? (not to hijack here) Can't calibrate in the water... can I do it on my boat? I have a 2014 29' Rinker cruiser. I don't have a generator, so I won't have power running through the boat while calibrating. -=Mike G.
I wondered same. I have a 27ft Monterey, no generator. I'm very relaxed flying over water . From a beach

Pretty much the main reason why I bought the P3P is so that I can get footage while on the boat. Both in motion and when just hanging out. Guess I'll find out if it's an issue or not. o_O I know guys that use their Phantom 2s on their boats without issue, but nobody with a P3. -=Mike G.

I wondered same. I have a 27ft Monterey, no generator. I'm very relaxed flying over water . From a beach

Simple. Don't calibrate.

So, what about if you are on a boat? (not to hijack here) Can't calibrate in the water... can I do it on my boat? I have a 2014 29' Rinker cruiser. I don't have a generator, so I won't have power running through the boat while calibrating.
You don't have to calibrate every flight and sticking to the idea that you have to can cause problems.
As long as your Phantom has a good compass calibration, you can safely fly,
I haven't calibrated mine for several months but I've done hundreds of safe flights.

Read this excellent thread by Ian and understand what compass calibration is all about and when it's needed:
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

I have had the compass & imu errors cause a crash too. I have two p3a & the first one has been excellent, but the second would occasionally come up with these errors in flight, and then it would switch to atti and opti randomly. Usually, it would sort itself out & fly normally. The last time, however, it suddenly changed to opti & backed into a tree. The bird righted itself at least twice on the way down, but hit a branch & broke the yaw part of the gimbal and removed the camera - the rest of it stayed on board & connected. I replaced the complete gimbal & camera. It refused to start the motors, making loud beeping from the motors. The agent advised that it was in panic mode and had to be left on until it stopped. I left it on for 15 min, but could smell and see the tilt axis servo cook up. It went back to DJI and they are going to replace everything. The log showed all of this happening. I would press them about it.

If you absolutely feel like you need to calibrate do it before you launch from a nice clean area. Then take it on the boat and do your thing. Honestly fellas I dont even consider calibrating unless I have traveled more than 100 miles.

Personally, I would not worry about cell towers. see the attached files
Snapshot_10.png
Snapshot_12.png Snapshot_10.png
Snapshot_13.png

Attachments

• Snapshot_11.png
    Snapshot_11.png
    3 MB · Views: 339
My question is when you turn on your RC and the calibrate is highlighted can you just continue to fly if you're going to the same location all the time. Way different then my Q500

My question is when you turn on your RC and the calibrate is highlighted can you just continue to fly if you're going to the same location all the time. Way different then my Q500
If you are getting the calibrate message:
1- you are in an area with high interference and should move, or
2- the location where you previously performed a calibration had interference and you calibrated against it, which is now creating an anomaly where interference does not exist.

Reactions: Meta4
Calibrate button never grays out, it tempts you to calibrate again and again. Silly button.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20