Compass won't calibrate

Reaction score
While flying this morning I got a red "compass error" message and after landing the compass won't calibrate, this is the exact spot I have been flying from for 5 months and where the compass calibrated just before the flight today. Any suggestions?

Make sure you do not have anything metallic on your person and/or try calibrating the compass at a different location.

Move cell phone and controller away from quad to do the calibration. If that doesn't work change location. Check the plug going to the compass and be sure it's tight. Good luck!

While flying this morning I got a red "compass error" message and after landing the compass won't calibrate, this is the exact spot I have been flying from for 5 months and where the compass calibrated just before the flight today. Any suggestions?

I had this same issue this past weekend at Lake Tahoe. It took about 3 or 4 compass calibration attempts before all was good before each flight (same location). I think it has something to maybe do with the solar flare a few days ago.

Another user in your area (SC) also had the same issue as you within the last couple days as well.

Yes, metal is the biggest thing that will produce this error. Every time I set my P3P on the tailgate of my truck I get this error. As soon as I take it 20' away and put it on the ground it goes away.

Make sure you do not have anything metallic on your person and/or try calibrating the compass at a different location.
Hi thanks for replying but how would that account for the message coming up in flight?
I had this same issue this past weekend at Lake Tahoe. It took about 3 or 4 compass calibration attempts before all was good before each flight (same location). I think it has something to maybe do with the solar flare a few days ago.

Another user in your area (SC) also had the same issue as you within the last couple days as well.
OK but when I go into sensors there is no data for the compass, shouldn't it have some sort of reading?

Hi thanks for replying but how would that account for the message coming up in flight?
OK but when I go into sensors there is no data for the compass, shouldn't it have some sort of reading?
If you have zeros showing for compass data, the cause is probably a defective compass sensor or a broken or dislodged compass cable.
Take off the small plate that covers the compass on the botttom of the landing gear and see if that end of the cable is OK.
If that's OK, you'll have to open the case and check the connection where the compass attaches to the mainboard.

Solar flares will have no effect on your compass calibration but the distortion of the earth's normal magnetic field by iron and steel objects will.
When you mention that it took 3 or 4 attempts to calibrate your compass, that rings a big alarm bell.
You are trying to calibrate in a bad location and if you do manage to zero out the distorted field, you run a big risk flying with the screwed up calibration.
Read this post and #26 below it for details:
Lost mine today, RTH failed. | Page 2 | DJI Phantom Forum

Read this thread to learn what compass calibration is all about and when to do it.
You'll fly safer with that understanding.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

It wouldn't. But, it would prevent you from calibrating the compass (you said it keeps failing to calibrate).

If you have zeros showing for compass data, the cause is probably a defective compass sensor or a broken or dislodged compass cable.
Take off the small plate that covers the compass on the botttom of the landing gear and see if that end of the cable is OK.
If that's OK, you'll have to open the case and check the connection where the compass attaches to the mainboard.
Thanks Meta, I will check that, for now I have swapped my camera to my other body and everything seems to be working fine.

I ran into problems getting my P3P to calibrate. Removed Apple watch, keys, everything metallic. Still no joy. Went crazy trying over and over. Then it finally hit me. It's cold here. I have photography gloves that allow the index finger and thumb to open up so you can better operate the controls. There are little magnets in them to hold them in place when folded back. So all my dancing and prancing trying to calibrate this thing was foiled by my gloves. So if your having troubles, triple check everything. You may be surprised what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj