compass will not calibrate after crash, electromagnetic interference error

Reaction score
I had a bad crash, yet the copter seems to still be alive, except that the compass will not calibrate after crash, and I get the high electromagnetic interference error every time I boot up or go through the compass calibration process.

something may well be broken inside, but was hoping there was something to try. It seems that a IMU calibration is recommended. Any other ideas or steps to take? It is nagging me for a firmware update. Could it be I rattled its little brain enough that it wants fresh firmware?

Thank you!!!!!

FYI
- gimbal and camera function fine
- DJI GO runs fine
- no obvious damage such as broken or bent parts
- some internal damage maybe; a few tiny metal bits, plastic bits, and a screw came out (pretty hard lateral hit)
- tried running manually in ATTI mode, but no luck (probably dumb to do anyways...)

sadly, I am now one of those who I laughed at on "drone fail" videos:oops:

Last edited:
I had a bad crash, yet the copter seems to still be alive, except that the compass will not calibrate after crash, and I get the high electromagnetic interference error every time I boot up or go through the compass calibration process.
To check that the compass is still connected, go to the sensors settings in the app and see if you have numbers in the compass data boxes ... or zero.
If there are numbers, things are still connected but it you see zero, your compass is either disconnected at the mainboard or the fine cable is broken.

I think you ripped the compass plug off the main board. I've seen this happen on many P3's.

Thanks!
Checked the sensor page and (drumroll)...zeros.
So it's off to Harbor Freight for a precision driver set.
Besides that, any other key tools to have? I could have used a set of plastic tweezers for getting ribbons in and out yesterday.

any suggestions on an instructable for checking/replacing compass connection? When you say "ripped the compass plug off the main board" is that typically unplugging or damage? Really just need the easiest way in to check.

thanks!!!

the compass plug was indeed ripped off the main board.
it was $300 to repair so I opted for a replacement (as if I can afford it....)
Now I am thinking I have little to lose if I tinker with it.
Any suggestions on hacking in a compass? Flying without one is a last resort, but if necessary I would.

Thank you!

I'm not sure if the DJI Flight Controller is able to be hacked enough to disable such "Critical Errors". Keep in mind that this system was designed around safety and redundancy and the compass is a key element in those matters.

Many UAS fly without compass but they weren't designed from the ground up with required input from the compass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31