compass will just not calibrate...ahhhhhgh

Reaction score
Hi folks, looking for a bit of help. Phantom 2, not crashed. Was running perfectly until I attached it to the PC and started messing around with the software. I engaged IOC then disengaged it and tinkered with a few other things. Undertook a couple of advanced IMU calibrations. I cannot now calibrate the compass no matter how often I try. Doing it the proper way, horizontal turn to get green solid light and then vertical nose down. After that it will only flash intermittent yellow and then goes to intermittent green. I can power the props but at that point the front red lights flash with the two rear green lights. I'm convinced this is a software issue but I do not know how to resolve. Demagnetising also did not cure. I'm at my wits end with this thing. Any help appreciated..

What is the compass "Mod" value, and the approximate X, Y, Z values shown in Phantom Assistant? XYZ values should be in the range -300 to +300; mod should less than 1800 or so.

Harry,

compass values are:
y 140
z 445
mod 2050

tried basic cali and advanced cali

That Z value of 445 is your problem - it won't calibrate with a value that high. You need to get a magnet and wave it around it all directions, close to, but not touching the compass. You may have to do this a dozen times before the value falls low enough for a successful calibration, but it will work - just be persistent.

This DJI video shows how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT1rRE_UIg

been trying to get this value below 300 for about an hour now...it does happen and I calibrate at that point but it won't stay below 300. Connecting five minutes later gives me same problem, over 300. I can get a single green flashing light only - no gps lock. I wonder is my compass faulty

Maybe something magnetic near the Phantom wich is affecting the compass??

Do not calibrate when:
* You're in an urban area surrounded by concrete, buildings, and hidden or overhead powerlines/pipes/etc.
* You're on the beach or on a boat.
* You're close to large mineral deposits, metallic objects or anything magnetic.

folks, Harry - thank you for your help. Got it working, but I do feel a bit foolish...was getting a single flashing green light for a while which I thought was an error - I had thought that I needed a solid green light (I know now that's just immediately after gps lock and then it goes to flashing)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers