Compass waterproofing/relocation

Reaction score
I'm presently making a float system for my P2V+ and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to waterproof the compass.

A have a few questions:

1. What happens if it gets wet? Can it be permanently ruined by getting wet?

2. Can some sort of waterproof coating be applied to it. I use a brush-on liquid rubber on my float planes, that always worked well. Will the operation of the compass be affected by this type of coating?

3. Can the compass be moved up to the top of the landing gear leg, to get it as high off the water as possible? Will this affect performance?

I'd call DJI with these questions, but considering the wait time people are experiencing with them I thought I'd start here first.

Thanks for any suggestions.....

dannytroy said:

2. Can some sort of waterproof coating be applied to it. I use a brush-on liquid rubber on my float planes, that always worked well. Will the operation of the compass be affected by this type of coating?

3. Can the compass be moved up to the top of the landing gear leg, to get it as high off the water as possible? Will this affect performance?

If it gets wet the small contacts/cable will corrode pretty easily

Your liquid rubber should be ok to use or an electrical safe RTV.

I suspect moving the compass up you might have issues with it being to close to motors and might have problems.

Another alternative is using (if you don't mind the expense $200) get the combo compass/GPS "puck". The puck replaces original GPS in lid but incorporates compass w/it.

dannytroy said:
I'm presently making a float system for my P2V+ and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to waterproof the compass.

A have a few questions:

It should be OK after drying out if it was not salt water. Mine has gotten wet without permanent damage.

That should work fine. You may want to fill in the hollow area in the landing gear behind the compass. I have found that one drop of water on the back of the compass would keep it from calibrating.

The compass is located away from motors ESC's and other electronics for a reason. Don't move it up.

Yes, I guess the best route will be to leave it at it's present location and coating with the waterproofing. Luckily, it will only be used on a lake, so no saltwater will ever hit any part of the quad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl