Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Compass Sudden Failure

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by rmklaw, Feb 15, 2014.

1. rmklaw

Everything was normal, flying steady in GPS mode. During hovering, suddenly the Vision started to drift backwards and would not hold altitude. Warning lights started to flash yellow without me touching anything. Tried all routine things to no avail. Tried calibration, but it would not go into calibration mode.

When I got home, I hooked it up to the Assistant and found no readings from the compass. I had a spare compass leg. I swapped it and everything started working. Put back the old one and same problem. Hard to believe that the compass had a sudden failure, but that is what it turned out to be the issue. recalibrated with the replacement compass and everything is working fine.

Lesson learned. If you see something abnormal, land immediately. It will save your day. And... keep a spare compass. :mrgreen:

2. Pull_Up

Excellent advice about landing first and asking questions later. Good to know it was a quick fix and actually as the compass is one of the cheapest spare parts it does seem silly not to have one in the spares tin... Off to order one.

3. cky2k

Thank you for the info. Is this the part number DJI PV-P12.

4. rmklaw

Yes. That is the correct P/N, or Part 12 Dji‑phvcom. I just ordered another one as a spare. Don't order the Phantom 1 part.

5. cky2k

Thank you just ordered one.