Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Compass Sensor Placement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slugger, Jul 4, 2013.

1. slugger

Just added carbon fiber landing gear to my Phantom. Does the position of the sensor mounting on the landing gear make a difference(height, angle etc)?

Thanks

Slugger

2. deluge2

Angle matters, should be in a plane parallel to original location, geometrically speaking. Don't think vertical location matters.

3. TickTock

Most definitely! Slight angle error will result in circling. Dramatic errors will result in run-away! See following thread ultimately caused by the compass getting installed rotated 180 degrees.

http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=662

4. howardmaryon

I have fitted 3d printed landing leg brackets from Shapeways, which are great. I thought I was going crazy because my Phantom was often behaving badly, and recalibrating it didnt last long. The cause was that the compass fitting on the leg tube is only a fr
    iction fit. It was being moved either by clumsy handling on my part, a bumpy car ride or a bad landing. I fixed it in position with a small self tapping nonmagnetic screw and now it stays in calibration properly. My compass mounting plate only lines up horizontaly and vertically in one place on the leg and so I fixed it there.