Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Compass relocation for different landing gear

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by BoostedPhantom, Jan 31, 2015.

1. BoostedPhantom

I have aftermarket landing gear on my phantom and I have been experimenting with how to relocate the compass. My Phantom came with the compass integrated into the landing gear so I bought the old style compass and tried mounting it like in the picture below. This resulted in the Quad drifting while in a hoover.

Now I’m thinking about trying to mount the original compass (static-free) onto my accessory shelf in the vertical position as indicated by the red coloring on the second picture. This would be closer to how it was mounted from the factory (back right hand corner of quad).

What is everyones take on this? And is there a better mounting option, like something made from a 3d printer?

Thanks in advance :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CityZen

The compass's relative position on the craft doesn't matter, except that it should be away from ferrous metals and electric fields.
    The orientation of the compass is important and needs to be the same as the original.

3. SteveMann

From the photo it looks like you rotated the compass 90-degrees. Ideally you want it as far away from any metals or high current carrying wires.

4. BoostedPhantom

Ok I see what you're saying now. I guess the compass was just mounted in the most convenient location in the pictures where I bought the landing gear :lol:

So is there a rule of thumb for how many inches the compass needs to be away from the craft?

5. general01

Nope

Although I would be extra cautious as carbon fiber has never went well the compass on the phantom

6. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

That Phantom is doomed.

7. p fandango

i've got the same legs as you, i bought a bracket off ebay for the compass

[​IMG]

8. BoostedPhantom

Aren't they all?

Awesome I will definitely check this out! Thanks