Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Advanced Compass question

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by King Luff, Aug 23, 2015.

1. King Luff

Hi forum,

Quick question regarding compass calibration. Is it normal for the phantom to request a calibration before every flight as I get an orange question mark and a warning to calibrate 90% of the time. Some times it won't take off without doing it?

2. bobmyers

I get the compass calibration white button option most of the time, especially if I change location or home point. I usually ignore it if I am within 50 miles or so from where I flew the last time and close the status screen after I look at all the other readings. I only recalibrate if I get a compass error, usually caused by metal interference.
    Some other chaps will chime in here.:) Cheers

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

No .. it's not normal. That's suggesting that where you are taking off from has an elevated magnetic field.
    Try using a different launch spot in the open well away from pipes, reinforced concrete and steel structures.

4. King Luff

Thanks for confirming. I went to a very open field again today and it said that exact same thing. Even after I recalibrated it still said that I should calibrate again! It didn't come up with a compass error though. Maybe just a bug

5. Mako79

Can you quote or screen capture the warning?? It could be something else like an IMU calibration.