Compass Problem - MOD Value way too high

Reaction score
I've flown my P2V at least a dozen times trouble free since I got it back in December and was even thinking about posting how great my experience has been. This has genuinely been the best gift I've ever bought myself :D

Here’s where the story takes a turn for the worse - I recently took it to the park, attempted a compass calibration, and for the first time ever, it failed repeatedly. I brought it back home, plugged it into my PC and sure enough, the MOD value was in the 4K-5K range. I researched this site along with others and came across a great video from Colin displaying the calibration process by using a magnet and the PC software. I spent hours over the past weekend with different size magnets but ultimately made it much worse; at one point, the MOD value was over 30K! At another point, I got it down to the sweet spot of 1,600 and brought it outside to rotationally calibrate which failed. I brought it back to the PC and once again it was back over 10K!? Also, even when I don’t have the magnet anywhere near the PV, the MOD value fluctuates quite a bit. For example, even when I got it down to 1,600 it was fluctuating between 500 and 2,500 every couple of second or so. It’s almost as if something on the P2V itself is throwing itself off but I have not done anything to it since I got it and am doing all this away from any kind of interference.

I've also done the advanced IMU calibration and I’m on the latest firmware/software across the board. I've searched this site and read up as much as I can to see if anyone’s had this issue because I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. Either I have a unique issue or I’m not searching with the right terms. The next logical step would be to spend the $20 on a replacement Compass but I have a gut feeling there’s something else going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks so much in advance.

I called DJI last night, waited on hold for around 40 min, and eventually got connected to someone. They took me through the basic compass calibration steps even though I insisted I've tried this a number of times:
1.) Normal calibration using phantom
2.) Advanced calibration using the PC software (he confirmed you don't need to let the PV 'cool off' first; it's a bug in the software)
3.) Use a magnet

A couple of interesting comments the support technician made: First, he said he's tried the 'magnet method' quite a few times and it never seems to work for him either. Second, he said he's never seen the MOD value as high as 30K... he was pretty impressed mine managed to get that out of whack. The next step is to ship it to them, BTW I have to pay shipping costs, and they're around 3 weeks backed up right now so I wouldn't get it back from about a month :(

I got it through B&H but it's beyond the 30 day return policy. All they did was refer me to B&H 'first level' tech support which has been useless because they then just redirected me to the manufacturer. They refuse to replace it nor facade servicing the unit with the manufacturer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl