Compass off by 180 degrees?

Reaction score
So bit of a weird one. I replaced a cable with a bad connector. The big flat multi-ended one that connects the camera in 3 places to 4 different places inside the drone (WiFi + Motherboard). Then I updated all the firmware and the app on the phone. As a final thought I switched to NAZA mode. I did an IMU basic and advanced calibration and a compass calibration.

I left both switches up - not quite ready to play around with NAZA mode yet. Everything works fine. RTH is fine. Telemetry and video is fine. 8 sats. Gimbal control is fine. No issues at all except one.

My radar seems backwards. The drone moves in the direction I'm facing (north) while the radar shows the drone moving south behind me.

I brought my little guy home, did another compass calibration and set off again. Same result. I guess I can live with it this way but it seems weird. Any ideas?

Try calibrating the compass on your mobile device.

msinger said:
Try calibrating the compass on your mobile device.

Good call on the phone being the problem - is my old SGII. I tried a different phone (Nexus 6) and it's perfect.

However, I downloaded a compass app on the SGII and it checks out fine. It knows exactly which way is north.

Just to be safe I did a recalibration on the phone (and drone) and now it's off by exactly 90 degrees. Akkk. What the heck could cause that???

It's clearly some kind of phone/drone incompatibility issue related to the compass. Maybe something to do with screen orientation and how that relates to compass data?

Weird it just started though.

Did you update the app ?

OK... no idea exactly why. But it's a problem with the app and my SGII. Or possibly something wrong with the SGII although I've tried 2 different compass apps and they both work fine. The SGII has always worked well in the past. Just not with this updated app. Anyway I have an older HTC Sensation and a much newer Nexus 6. Both of them work fine. So the SGII is going back into the drawer and the HTC is now my new spare Drone phone. I knew there was a reason I kept a drawer full of old phones.

dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers