compass mod value. should it be stable or fluctuating?

I am in Colorado, we, of all people know exactly how high we are.

I just took a little flight, tried to get some stars. Stupid arm LEDs.

DJI_0218.JPG

My altimeter readings have never been very accurate, especially when I descend down a cliff and come back up to my take-off point. I've always accepted it to have a high tolerance reading, say 20 to 30' off at times. Are you guys getting more accurate readings than this? VPS enable/disable doesn't seem to affect my issue. VPS isn't suppose to work above 10' according to what I've read, and even below 10' it doesn't seem to be very accurate in the telemetry reading when enabled. However she does handle like a dream, but I've never used auto take-off, so I'm unsure if mine wavers as the OP states.

if it's brand new bird then always good to do compass, IMU calibration and gimbal right after, also do a IMU calibration as cold as you can, it help to cut down your bird warning up time later on.

IMU and Gimbal can be done at home, but the compass calibration is best done outside, away from any strong electrical or ferrous (magnetic) metal interference. Preferably where you are going to be flying.

Once you have everything set, Take Off! ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I am in Colorado, we, of all people know exactly how high we are.

I just took a little flight, tried to get some stars. Stupid arm LEDs.

View attachment 31252

Of course, you already know, that the front arm LED lights can be turned off, from within the Go App? Removing that red glowing reflection in photos.

RedHotPoker

Of course, you already know, that the front arm LED lights can be turned off, from within the Go App? Removing that red glowing reflection in photos.

RedHotPoker

Actually the front LEDs are off. The back ones are causing the flashing. For long exposure night flying I usually put electrical tape over the front 2/3 of the rear LEDs in addition to turning off the front. It is still quite visible at any distance or altitude. Probably has a bit to do with the super dark sky up here in the middle of nowhere, light polution is at a minimum for sure. I neglected to use the electrical tape technique. /Next time I will.

thanks guys for your help..

the thing is there are no problems whatsoever with the bird, i'm afraid that once i recalibrate it will start throwing off errors and stability problems/ horizon issues just like the old one...

maybe cuz i was using my iphone to get a perfect level, cloning the phone imu to bird imu...

I would only calibrate the compass. The IMU and gimble shouldn't need a calbration. IMU calibration has caused me more problems than anything. You must be completely level if you decide to do this. I wouldn't.

I've been reading the posts in this thread and the question I have is "What's the problem?"

As far as the compass is concerned the X, Y, Z, MOD values will fluctuate. The MOD value is in the acceptable range. There isn't any indication that the compass needs calibration.

The OP seems to be concerned about the altimeter. The altimeter is based on barometric readings so it may change some over the course of a flight. I just did a 15 minute flight and the altitude was about 20 feet different when it came back. There is no way to "calibrate" the altimeter. It gets set to 0 before takeoff. I saw the one post that seemed to indicate that an IMU calibration would calibrate the altimeter. This doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't think there is a problem. I haven't seen anything in this thread that indicates the compass, IMU, or the gimbal need to be calibrated.

If it's a new craft and has not been done, then yes it absolutely all needs calibrating for good flight. Any experienced phantom pilot that's been flying for a few years will agree.

I've been reading the posts in this thread and the question I have is "What's the problem?"

As far as the compass is concerned the X, Y, Z, MOD values will fluctuate. The MOD value is in the acceptable range. There isn't any indication that the compass needs calibration.

The OP seems to be concerned about the altimeter. The altimeter is based on barometric readings so it may change some over the course of a flight. I just did a 15 minute flight and the altitude was about 20 feet different when it came back. There is no way to "calibrate" the altimeter. It gets set to 0 before takeoff. I saw the one post that seemed to indicate that an IMU calibration would calibrate the altimeter. This doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't think there is a problem. I haven't seen anything in this thread that indicates the compass, IMU, or the gimbal need to be calibrated.

Head meet nail.

300074-product-thumb1.jpg

If it's a new craft and has not been done, then yes it absolutely all needs calibrating for good flight. Any experienced phantom pilot that's been flying for a few years will agree.
Well, of course that's right if the initial calibrations haven't been done. But, the OP has done all those.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31