Compass Issue?

Reaction score
After doing a compass calibration there are 2 possible outcomes according to the user’s manual.
1. LED Flight indicator = Normal Led = Succeeded
2. LED Flight indicator = Red, Yellow flashing in turn = Failed

I’m getting a 3rd, LED Flight indicator = Only ONE flash Red followed by Yellow flashing until the satellites lock in, then steady flashing green. LEDs are not alternating red & yellow but the initial flash of red doesn’t seem right. Is this normal?

Frequent (and unnecessary) recalibration of the compass can give you all kinds of uncertainty like that.
Better to get a good calibration and stick with it - unless you are travelling a long way or making changes to your Phantom's configuration.

So it's not "normal" to see one red flash after the calibration?

robinb said:
It means you don't have 6 satellites in view.

I agree with robinb.

I also kinda agree with Meta4. Maybe the single red flash is it telling you to stop calibrating it, because it's getting dizzy. :eek:

I fly next to some tall mountains and in the canyons. It's common for me to get a single, or even multiple red flashes. It keeps me on my toes. :D

drifter said:

It's normal to have one red flash if you do not have full satellite lock.

Look at your display, it will tell you how many says are locked on.

Also I would NOT do calibration unless I had full sat lock.

Compass calibration is needed because the magnetic north and geographic north, or true north (GPS uses true north) mostly disagree. You probably don't need to recalibrate the compass unless you have added equipment to the aircraft or you are more than 60-miles (one degree) from the last mag compass calibration point.

Compass calibration is not to adjust for differences between magnetic and true north. That is declination and can only be adjusted for using a reference table (or via trial and error adaption in conjunction with the GPS course as the Naza does it). A compass alone cannot detect true north.

Compass calibration is used to adjust for an uneven background magnetic field, a.k.a. deviation. This can include local magnetic influence from the accessories and the Phantom itself as well as variations in the regional magnetic field.

I had 7-8 satellites steady then did another compass calibration and it cured the single red led flash problem. Thanks guys for the help.

drifter said:

No its not. It means you are getting less than six satellites. I will sometimes see this in flight, close to the ground and the house or barn or fooling around trees and obstructions. It means you have to fly it, gps will not help you, or climb and find more satellites. Phantom will fly just fine but you are now the driver and not the GPS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik