Compass, GPS and magnets

PCB

Reaction score
The following comes from the manual, all four motors have strong permanent magnets, does that mean the motors have to be removed and taken away while calibrating the compass?
Also, doesn't that effect the accuracy of the compass while in flight? It will not fly without the permanent magnet motors attached?
Reading the manual sure leaves a lot of unanswered questions.
Mickey
The following is below here.
(1) DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as
magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground.
(2) DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones.
(3) DO NOT calibrate beside massive metal objects.

Attachments

• facepalm.png
    facepalm.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 539
Yes!
The motors are only mounted on the Phantom as a place to store them until flight.
It is understood that you will remove them and power them up from a user supplied power source, and then run around under the Phantom using the props to blow the Phantom about, while it takes images of you suffering an attack of coronary thrombosis.

Re: Grrrr... Unable to set compass/No GPS

gmbn.inc said:
Hey everyone, Had my P2V+ for a few weeks now with no issues at all, It's been beautiful weather last 2 days, sunny & no wind at all, so yesterday took the P2V+ out for a while, no problems at all. Beautiful day again today so chucked it in the car, 4 batteries charged, RE charged, spare props, drink, smokes & off we go....
Arrive at an interesting looking location, find a nice level spot for lift off, turn everything on... Yellow rear lights flashing slowly. No big deal I say to myself, I'll just flip the S1 switch & re-calibrate. Turned in a circle lights go green after 360deg, pointed nose down (Phantom nose not mine) turn around again 360deg... Lights return to slow flash yellow!? Did this about 12 times, left it sitting there... Yellow. Drove about 5km to new location, same thing. Drove all the way home, plugged it into PC, did advanced cal etc etc, took it down the local park... Same thing, yellow lights. Took it home, took the top off, everything plugged in, compass plugged in, put top back on, took it to the park.... Nothing, Yellow flashing lights....
What's happened to it over night? Any solutions anyone?

Sure the S1 switch was in Gps mode not atti mode? Atti mode will give you flashing yellows on start up.

Flyer91 said:
Yes!
The motors are only mounted on the Phantom as a place to store them until flight.
It is understood that you will remove them and power them up from a user supplied power source, and then run around under the Phantom using the props to blow the Phantom about, while it takes images of you suffering an attack of coronary thrombosis.
Thanks for the great answer but the main question was, let me try and put it in a way you understand, the manual states, keep away from magnets while calibrating, the four motors use strong permanent magnets to run, place a piece of metal next to them to verify this, the manual doesn't say how to keep the compass away from those to calibrate the compass, does anyone know how to do the calibration around the motors or are those magnets not a problem while calibrating and if so why?
Having my p2V fly away by itself and not knowing why brought me to the calibration question, half the time when I turn it on I get the message "compass needs calibration" the rest of the time it doesn't.
I'm not an experienced pilot and I can't walk which makes retrieving the phantom from some place it decides to on its own difficult.Wheel chairs don't do good in dirt, even the power ones.

Re: Grrrr... Unable to set compass/No GPS

I just thought it was the onset of an electronic version of Parkinsons or something...[/quote]

More like "Chinese Electronic Bird Flu"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj