Compass Failures

Reaction score
I have a phantom 3 standard that has been having compass errors. I have tried to calibrate the compass numerous times and still see issues. Took it out yesterday and was hovering about six feet off the ground. Got a compass stuck error that cleared after 30 seconds or so. When the alarm popped up it said if the issue persisted to contact DJI customer support. A couple of questions:
When calibrating the compass what would all consider an ideal spot? I was in the middle of a 10 acre field with no power lines or buildings.

Would I be better off to return the drone to Sam's club and exchange it or to go through DJI and process an exchange? My thought is that sams likely has replacements manufactured close to the time that my unit was made?

This is making nervous to fly. We are traveling for the holiday and I didn't want to risk a fly off.

I appreciate any input on this...

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

When calibrating the compass what would all consider an ideal spot?
Calibrate the compass outside in a location where there are no magnetic metal objects (including on your person or in the ground).

Would I be better off to return the drone to Sam's club and exchange it or to go through DJI and process an exchange?
It'll be easiest to go through Sam's Club. DJI will repair it and/or send you a refurbished unit. Before going through that process, you should install the latest firmware if you haven't already done that.

Calibrate the compass outside in a location where there are no magnetic metal objects (including on your person or in the ground).

It'll be easiest to go through Sam's Club. DJI will repair it and/or send you a refurbished unit. Before going through that process, you should install the latest firmware if you haven't already done that.

Yeah I have done it in wide open fields. Firmware was updated mid November when I bought it.

The problem has been getting worse with each flight. I only have a handful of flights.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Mine had a defective compass also,I replaced mine myself the parts only $15 and not to hard to install

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've read a few times about problems after fw updates.
Hence I'm leaving mine alone.

I vote for you to take it back to sams club and exchange it for another one. Alot faster turn around time. just my 2 cents.

Sams no longer stocks the 3 standards. I fear I may have to go through DJI for an exchange. This might be a sign that I need to get a mavic when they are available.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Starting to think the Phantoms have a compass problem altogether! Not just one or two but a large batch, seems like many including me have had problems with the compass. Some users have totally replaced the compass on their own and found that it's fixed their issues.

Now I'm not saying this will help you or others but I think I will have to get mine sent to DJI when I get it back off the retailer I've bought it with who have had it for two weeks over xmas to inspect it and have found now issue's while flying it. . . .

Reactions: Shadow P3
So this happened to me today on my second flight of the day, 6th overall. I thought maybe it was because I flew it near some huge power lines in the first flight then took it to an area about 20 miles away and flew it near a smaller powerline. I did not recalibrate since the first flight a week ago. However, this thread makes me wonder if it's just a defective compass. Sad face...

*Update*: Ok, after reading the manual more closely and seeing the section that says you should always do a compass cal in every new location, I think that was my problem. I will try this in the future and if I still have problems I'll be sure to let you all know to see if we are on to something.

Last edited:
I saw a video on YouTube were a guy actually held a magnet to the drone while holding it up, apparently he was able to fix the compass errors he was having . .took it with a pinch of salt for now but yeah I'm kind tilting towards compass being completely broke which would mean mine shipped with a broken compass . . .

So this happened to me today on my second flight of the day, 6th overall. I thought maybe it was because I flew it near some huge power lines in the first flight then took it to an area about 20 miles away and flew it near a smaller powerline. I did not recalibrate since the first flight a week ago. However, this thread makes me wonder if it's just a defective compass. Sad face...

*Update*: Ok, after reading the manual more closely and seeing the section that says you should always do a compass cal in every new location, I think that was my problem. I will try this in the future and if I still have problems I'll be sure to let you all know to see if we are on to something.
Hopefully that fixes it for you, mine on other hand didnt help calibrating it in every new loc . .i got the same errors on a wide open beach . . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.